Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade from Gold to Platinum [USA] [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:13 am

I'm in pretty much the same situation. I have been targeted For an upgrade, but I'd rather keep both cards. I just recently noticed the new (?) language on the apps that seems to preclude a bonus on multiple MR earning cards. Any info on if this is new or how it has been interpretted?

Also, has anyone here been targeted for one of the 100k platinum offers while they already hold another green / gold / PRG card? I'm not really in a hurry so I was going to hold out for a while and see if I get any luck being targeted.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:45 pm

I called in and confirmed you can't apply for a "new" Platinum and get the bonus points if you are an active amex Gold, Zync and Green card holder. I can only upgrade my existing Gold PR card to Plantinum for the bonus points. Then I'd have to re-apply for the Gold. I signed up with the $175 waived fee on the Gold so I'd be losing that unless they are willing to somehow waive that fee for me? I don't mind if I didn't get bonus points but being hit with another $175 fee on top of $450 is a bit much. Something to consider.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gotatravelbug
... I signed up with the $175 waived fee on the Gold so I'd be losing that
How long have you had your Gold card? The fee waiver is only for the first 12 months, unless you negotiated a concession when the renewal fee was billed.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:53 am

Mia- I've had it 4 months. They would discount plat annual fee by 175. I get 25k for first purchase then another 25k after 40k in annual spending. I like the 3k threshold way better but I don't think they would do that. I usually spend 25k with delta amex for 10 eqm to keep status. I'm close to the 25k with delta now. Anither 40k...not so sure but doable since it is a calendar year. I can reapply for gold but it would cost me 175. Not sure they would waive since they are discounting plat fee.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:48 am
mia

Mia- I've had it 4 months. ...
It is unusual for American Express, or any card issuer, to offer an upgrade until the account is 12+ months old. This is due to a provision in the C.A.R.D. Act which prohibits annual fee increases in the first year. It could be that American Express has changed their interpretation of how the law applies to product changes, but it could also be that if you attempt to claim the upgrade you will then be told that your account is not eligible.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:01 am

Not sure, but they found my upgrade offer in their system and I was eligible. The rep was ready to click the button to make the change but I had her hold off to see if this makes sense for my situation. I think since it's a new product they aren't subject to the annual fee increase requirements. They are applying the $175 which was already waived towards my new plat status. I thought I was going to dinged with the $450 then had to re-apply for the gold PR. She said I met the spending requirements on the Gold to get the offer for the upgrade. I haven't spent a large amount on it. Just two business trips worth.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:07 am
mia

... I think since it's a new product they aren't subject to the annual fee increase requirements.
I understand your reasoning, but that has not been their interpretation since the law was enacted. When you accept an offer to "upgrade" an American Express charge card the account number remains the same and there is no credit check, because there is no change in credit exposure. The only changes are in the fees and benefits. I am not doubting what you were told, only observing that it represents a change from recent practice, back to the way American Express acted before 2010.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: many
If you want to have both cards, you could always use one of the referral links that offer the 50K for $3K spend on a new platinum.

Otherwise if you do not wish to keep both cards and they (amex) are willing to apply a credit toward upgrading to the new platinum along with the full 50K bonus, then there really isnt a debate?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:38 am

Thanks, Mia. I think I probably will upgrade and report back if I get denied after the fact. The rep went through all the steps and was ready to flip the switch.

PCharles - The rep explicitly said if I applied for new card that I would not be eligible for the bonus rewards because I'm an existing cardholder. The Gold PR is in the same family as Plat. The website says if you have had an Gold, Zync or Green card within 90 days and the rep interpreted that would also include current cardholders. I was totally thinking of that because the spending thresholds were lower than the upgrade offer. Have existing Gold cardholders been able to get a new plat card with bonus offers? That's exactly what my original question was. The new verbage on the site would lead me to believe that I wasn't eligible.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: many
Have existing Gold cardholders been able to get a new plat card with bonus offers? That's exactly what my original question was. The new verbage on the site would lead me to believe that I wasn't eligible.
Hopefully other recent applicants will chime in here!?!?!

Amex is inconsistent enough that if would be good to here if online applications were being interpreted as simply needing to have the previous cards for at least 90days, versus having the card within 90days.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:59 am
mia

...The rep explicitly said if I applied for new card that I would not be eligible for the bonus rewards because I'm an existing cardholder.
You can apply for the Mercedes Benz version of the Platinum Card while keeping your Gold card. You will have to pay the full annual fee, $475.

https://www.mbfs.com/mbfsr/en/misc/creditCard.do

Once your application for the Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Mercedes-Benz card is approved, you can earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® bonus points when you spend $1,000 in your first 3 months of Cardmembership. To be eligible to earn bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards First® program at the time of purchase and you must charge your purchase on an eligible, enrolled Mercedes-Benz Platinum Card. Bonus points are awarded after the spend requirement has been reached and will be credited to your Membership Rewards First Program account. This offer is not valid for existing American Express Platinum Cardmembers. You are eligible to receive bonus points for only one Card account. Additional Cardmembers are not eligible. Bonus ID-6565
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mia
You can apply for the Mercedes Benz version of the Platinum Card while keeping your Gold card. You will have to pay the full annual fee, $475.

https://www.mbfs.com/mbfsr/en/misc/creditCard.do
Sweet!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:18 am
mia

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...and-cards.html
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by pcharles
Hopefully other recent applicants will chime in here!?!?!

Amex is inconsistent enough that if would be good to here if online applications were being interpreted as simply needing to have the previous cards for at least 90days, versus having the card within 90days.
FWIW, the rep did confirm that the rules I couldn't have had a plat within 12 months and then I couldn't have an active or one of them within 90 days: Green, Gold or Zync. She checked for me because I said it looks like I had to just wait 90 days if I had an active card to apply for a new plat.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:26 am

So, anyone out there with recent experience who could speak to how these terms are being interpreted, in practice? Do you not get a bonus anymore if you have an existing MR card?

Also, since the MB Plat card appears to be the one "loophole" could you do a product change after the first year to a standard platinum card? All the benefits of the MB Plat appear to be the same as the standard Plat - with the obvious addition of the MB benefits. Are there any other differences I'm missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.