Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade from Gold to Platinum [USA] [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 8:17 am

A couple of points:

1) A lot of people keep both the PRG (Gold) and the Platinum Card - the reason is the PRG pays triple miles on airfaires and double points on gas and groceries which the Platinum card does not which for some offsets the annual fee for the PRG especially if you charge a lot of airline tickets on the card.

2) Go ahead and cancel the Gold card and then apply for a plat. I got the Mercedes Benz version of the Plat because unliike the referral offers for the Plat card it only requires $1000 in spend within the the first three months instead of $3000 in spend like most Plat cards. The annual fee is $25 more, but I figure I make that back because I can charge $2,000 on cards where I earn more than 1 point/mile (Chase UR and currently my Chase BA card) and/or even sign up for another card. Remember because the Gold card is a "charge" card it should not affect your credit utlization ratio by cancelling.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CynthiaSteffe
It's worth noting that even if you choose the "upgrade" route, they'll still do a hard credit pull.
Not if you use a "pre-approved" upgrade from one charge card to another. Typically the account number and credit exposure remains the same, only the color, benefits and fees change.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: *A Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC, EC Elite, Starbucks Gold :D
Originally Posted by mia
When you upgrade to a more expensive card American Express will promptly bill the annual fee for the new card and issue a pro-rated refund for any time remaining on the previous card level.
Say if the PRG is up for renewal in November and I've already paid the $175 annual fees. Now I get this pre-approved upgrade to Platinum link for 25k MR points.

Will the $450 annual feels will also be pro-rated ? Or will the annual fees due date change from Nov 2012 to May 2013 ?
Old May 3, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by mia
Not if you use a "pre-approved" upgrade from one charge card to another. Typically the account number and credit exposure remains the same, only the color, benefits and fees change.
I can add a data point to this; no hard pull for my gold->plat upgrade when I clicked on the provided link when I logged in.

same cc number, new date, new security code. not sure why the date change but I have nothing on autopay for this one
Old May 3, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by anilyst
Say if the PRG is up for renewal in November and I've already paid the $175 annual fees. Now I get this pre-approved upgrade to Platinum link for 25k MR points.

Will the $450 annual feels will also be pro-rated ? Or will the annual fees due date change from Nov 2012 to May 2013 ?
Your fees, both ways, are pro-rated (and billed and/or refunded).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by danpass
similar here, I had logged in and saw a floating Upgrade Now button, no ref code.

Couldn't resist.

So I upgraded my Gold to Plat last Thursday and 25k points posted today.
Was this Personal or Business? I had got offers on Business but not on Personal PRG. Will surely like to get an offer on Personal PRG, if there is anyway to get it.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by gv111
Was this Personal or Business? I had got offers on Business but not on Personal PRG. Will surely like to get an offer on Personal PRG, if there is anyway to get it.
Got the same upgrade offer when I logged into my account, it was on a personal card. Took AMEX up on it and received 25K points after the first purchase. The account number stayed the same and no hard pull as other posters have attested.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:26 pm

Best way to upgrade from gold to platinum?

I currently hav the MR gold card and am interested in upgrading to platinum. Is it better to upgrade, or apply for a new platinum account and then cancel my gold card? If I go this route will I lose the original "member since" date on my card? Any other pros/cons?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Shines
I currently hav the MR gold card and am interested in upgrading to platinum. Is it better to upgrade, or apply for a new platinum account and then cancel my gold card? If I go this route will I lose the original "member since" date on my card? Any other pros/cons?
When I applied for the PRG, that gold card showed the "member since" the oldest active AMEX account I have (going back years). When I upgraded the PRG to Plat recently, the new Plat card shows member since 2011, which was when I applied and received the PRG. HTH
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
I also have the pre-approved 25k upgrade from PRG--> Plat on my main page. Tempted to do it for the lounge access and the travel benefits because I plan on doing a lot of int'l travel within the next year, but I note that each additional Plat card is $175 annual fee, whereas you can get up to five additional PRG cards for no extra fee. Does anyone know if some of the credits, such as the Global Entry reimbursement is per account or per card?

It looks like I can get the standard 25k bonus for signing up formally if I haven't "had any Consumer Gold product within the last 90 days." Does this rule me out with my current PRG?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
... each additional Plat card is $175 annual fee, whereas you can get up to five additional PRG cards for no extra fee.
Platinum charges a single fee $175 per year for "up to three" additional Platinum cards. All the benefits are extended to each cardholder, except for the $200 airline fee reimbursement which is one per account. (It's also possible to obtain "up to five" supplementary Gold cards on a Platinum account, but note that these are not "Preferred Rewards Gold" cards.)
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:29 pm

After a PRG to Plat upgrade, when do the fees hit? It's been a while and I still don't see any charges for the card and additional cards.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:00 pm

is there a way that anyone has been able to receive this upgrade "bonus" via the phone? I have been consistently checking my account, only to be told I'm Pre-Approved for an upgrade (with no MR). I have the PRG, but acct renewal is coming up June 27... Recently got the SPG and want to pair with Platinum... Anyways, what line to call and/or what to say would be extremely appreciated.

Background: have excellent credit, had PRG for 2 years, ~$30k/yr. Amex member since 1981.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Here's how I'd like it to work -- let me know if you see a flaw in my logic:

1. Accept offer to upgrade Bus Rewards Gold to Bus Plat - receive 25,000 MR Points.
2. Annual fee will be charged immediately - prorated to anniversary of Nov 2012 (4 months remaining, so ~ $150, new year's $450 fee in Nov).
3. Cancel personal Plat - receive prorated refund of annual fee to anniversary in Feb 2013 (8 months remaining, so ~$300).

I assume with the new Bus Plat, I would have a new bucket of $200 airline fee credit for the remainder of 2012. I've already used up the allotment from the personal card. This would effectively pay for the annual fee for the current membership year ending in Nov.

Any flaw in my logic?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:16 pm

Existing Gold Upgrade or New Card?

I saw an upgrade banner in my account today for 50K points to go to Plat. I have the Gold PR card and like the points I earn. But I was thinking of getting a new Plat for the perks and bonus points. I really like the idea of having both cards but the wording on new applications seems to defunct the bonus points if I apply for a new Plat card and keeping my Gold PR card. It's like I have to upgrade to get the 50k and not a new card to be eligible for the bonus point offer. Is that right? Should I upgrade then try to apply for new Gold PR sans the bonus offer just to get my point purchasing power back after 90 days? I'm a little confused on the best way to get the Plat card.

TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.