AmEx Delta Gold Sign Up Bonus Question

Old Jul 6, 2002, 10:48 pm
DH
Original Poster

AmEx Delta Gold Sign Up Bonus Question

I was told by AmEx CSR that I won't get the sign up bonus miles because I had AmEx DL card before. Has anyone had similar problem with AmEx?

I didn't have such problem with AA/Citibank sign up bonus though.

Looks like I have to cancel the card or switch to Hilton HHonors card...

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Old Jul 8, 2002, 6:30 am

I had the same problems, was told that I get the bonus miles only once.
Than I filled out the flyer/application card which came with my Delta statement, mailed the form to Delta and got the 10,000 bonus SkyMiles. Did the same for Mrs., she also got the 10,000 miles!
I believe you can apply also on Amexco's website.
Old Jul 8, 2002, 7:56 am
DH
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:
Than I filled out the flyer/application card which came with my Delta statement, mailed the form to Delta and got the 10,000 bonus SkyMiles. Did the same for Mrs., she also got the 10,000 miles!
I believe you can apply also on Amexco's website.
</font>
Would you clarify this? Are you referring to the AmEx DL application form (which gets included on DL statements)?

FYI, that's the application form I mailed in but no cigar...

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Old Jul 9, 2002, 8:09 am

Yes, I filled and mailed the blue application card "10,000 Bonus SkyMiles. And first year free" which came with the Delta mail.
Just file it again .. Amexco has a lousy organisation. Actually, at one time I got a letter: "...you don't get a new card...". A couple of days later the card was in the mail ..!?!
Old Jul 9, 2002, 9:51 am

I had the same problem. The AMEX service rep. said it was because my AMEX gold Delta card had been active within the year. I wonder if I sign up again using the paper form if it will work. Maybe I should just totally cancel the card.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 9:19 am

Programs: CO Plat; Delta Plat; Marriott Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold
I was just recently denied the 10,000 bonus miles for having received the bonus back in 1999. CSR checked and informed me that since I had received the bonus already that I could not get it again. Sounds like a hit & miss sort of thing.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 9:41 pm

I've had three cards I think over the last several years. Not that I was doing it on purpose (really), but for some reason I got tired of paying the fee and cancelled, then signed up again when the offer was juicy enough.

I always did wonder why they didn't check if people were churning through the cards and loading up on miles. I suspect cost cutting at DL and Amex has made them more careful of this.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 1:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
I routinely switch between the Delta Gold Optima, Hilton HHonors Optima and Starwood Optima Cards.

Usually to avoid the fees. I would usually cancel the other two and sign-up again after 7 or 8 months and ALWAYS got the bonuses offered.

However, I recently didn't get the 10,000 Delta Points for signing back up for the Gold Card.

When I called, the CSR said since I already got a bonus for the Hilton HHonors card, I was not eligible for this card.

So, I guess I will cancel all my AMEX cards at the same time now and wait 7 months and chose one for the bonus.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 2:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JustinCredible:
However, I recently didn't get the 10,000 Delta Points for signing back up for the Gold Card.</font>
How did you sign up? Did you use the Delta form/card which comes with the Delta Miles?
If yes, they have to give you the miles.
I got the 10,000 SkyMiles for the Mrs. and me several times! in the past years.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5 Star PC
I received a personalized offer from Delta (vs. the standard insert in mileage statements) for:
10,000 Bonus for first purchase
2,500 Bonus for additional card member
7,500 Bonus of you spend $7,500 before 12/31
Double miles for paying taxes on-line

Sounds like a great deal, so I signed up in April. How many of the BONUS miles have I received? 5,000!

AMEX is doing everything possible to avoid distributing the additional bonus miles. Apparently, I had a Delta card in 1996 and received 5,000 miles so I was only eligible for 5,000 more given that it is a lifetime maximum.

Well, why did you send me a personalized offer for 10,000? I could understand if I provided some information after the offer was sent that made me ineligible, but come on… who can remember a credit card from EIGHT years ago. They are the ones that sent the personalized offer.

In addition, I have been fighting with them about the other bonus points. I have been getting the run around from my calls, faxes, and letters. Given that I have their offer documented in writing and a volume of correspondence, I am thinking about calling Florida’s attorney general and BBB.

I can hardly wait to cancel this card!
Old Jul 16, 2002, 11:45 am

I had a lot of trouble, e-mails, phone calls and faxes with Amexco. But as mentioned before, after all the fights I GOT ALL THE PROMISED BONUS SKYMILES!
Generally when you apply with a form or via Internet, a lady from Amexco calls to ask some questions. During this call I asked if the card is free for for one year and if I would get the (10,000) bonus miles. If not, I don't want the card.
To show how Amexco is run: A week ago I got a letter from Amexco Ft. Lauderdale, that I would not get the bonus miles for acc. xyz. I had canceled this card (acc. xyz) in Jan. 2002, and had gotten the bonus miles!
Old Jul 16, 2002, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
(sort of OMNI but not really)

I concurr that Amex is a real circus. In a related type of incident, I was promised 5K MR points for a bank account and thats now being denied... I written several email and dont know what to do, maybe I will let that one be.

Starwood Amex: I got an offer for 8K SPG points bonus while on their website they offer 10K points for the SAME CARD. I applied under the link and am awaiting the card, Im sure trying to get the additional 2K SPG points is gonna' be a foodfight.

Finally a question thats on topic to this thread: does anybody know how long you have to keep the Delta Gold Card to be able to claim the mileage and be home free? I need to get some DL miles to get this SQ award so I may just go ahead and sign up for the card. Thanks.

------------------
Gaucho100K

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 07-16-2002).]
Old Jul 16, 2002, 4:01 pm

Gaucho...:
I think you can cancel the card after you got the bonus SkyMiles.
But I would keep the card:
1. It's one year free.
2. You get double miles at some grossery stores and gas stations. And until Aug. 15th you get double miles on all purchases.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.