Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel has best MR transfer ratio?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2002, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Which hotel has best MR transfer ratio?

Hi All,

We already know that the Amex MR points to Starwood conversion is pretty bad. However, I was wondering which MR partner hotel offers the best conversion value?

Among Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, or Priority Club, which would you all recommend? I know Best Western is also a partner, but no thanks

I have had a Starwood Amex for the last year, but I'm looking to burn off my MR points whenever I can.
Old May 9, 2002, 7:26 am

See:

http://home3.americanexpress.com/rew...hemeName=Hotel

Old May 9, 2002, 3:38 pm

Transfer your MR points to Delta in 5K increments and then tranfer to Hilton HHonors for 10K points (1 Delta mile = 2 HHonors points).

This is an easy process and you get 2000 HHonors points per 1000 MR points instead of 1300.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold

I can't find anything on the delta skymiles site about skymiles to hilton. can you be more specific as to how this works and where to read more about converting skymiles to hhonors points?
Old Jun 25, 2002, 7:21 am

http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/rewards/exchange.jhtml
Old Jun 25, 2002, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Do a search on the Delta message board and it should yield the specific Delta award codes for transferring 5k, 10k, 20k miles to HH points.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Would appreciate advice on this topic pertinent to 2008.

Have way more Amex points than I can use for converting to FF miles--but also want hotel accomodations.

Using Amex points for luxury hotels requires ridiculous amounts of points (like 60K/night for a Fairmont).

Are there any suggestions of how one can get luxury hotel accomodations (including Hilton-Conrad or Starwood-St Regis) without getting poor value?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:13 pm

It would seem you could launder MR points to HHonors through Hawaiian to get a 2:1 rate. Am I missing something?

Edit: THIS IS DEAD

Last edited by MikeyC; Feb 27, 2008 at 8:16 pm Reason: NOT POSSIBLE TO LAUNDER ANYMORE
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:36 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Would appreciate advice on this topic pertinent to 2008.

Have way more Amex points than I can use for converting to FF miles--but also want hotel accomodations.

Using Amex points for luxury hotels requires ridiculous amounts of points (like 60K/night for a Fairmont).

Are there any suggestions of how one can get luxury hotel accomodations (including Hilton-Conrad or Starwood-St Regis) without getting poor value?
Coupon Connection. You can probably get 2 Hilton points or .7 SPG points for every Amex point.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
WebFlyer's handy Mileage Converter (also includes MR, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, etc.)

http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

(I wish I could remember who wrote the original post I saw linking to that site, so I could send her flowers on her birthday... I use it A LOT...)
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:02 pm

In 2008 best appears to be 1.3 hilton pts per 1 amex point
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:39 am

Above, there is a post that you cannot transfer points to Hawaiian and then on to Hilton. The MR -> Hawaiian transfer option is still there. And it looks like the Hawaiian to Hilton option at 1:2 is still there:

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...esforpoints.do

Can someone please clarify why this is not possible? Am I missing something?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by cyrdog
Above, there is a post that you cannot transfer points to Hawaiian and then on to Hilton. The MR -> Hawaiian transfer option is still there. And it looks like the Hawaiian to Hilton option at 1:2 is still there:

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...esforpoints.do

Can someone please clarify why this is not possible? Am I missing something?
OK - so I answered my own question. I did a little more searching/reading, and it looks like Hawaiian does not allow transfer of points into HHonors if they were transferred in from elsewhere (as opposed to earned through travel).

Are there any other programs that can be used in the middle? I hear that Amtrak is possible, but there is a 25k annual cap? Has anyone found anything else that is still working?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:00 am

OK - so I answered my own question. I did a little more searching/reading, and it looks like Hawaiian does not allow transfer of points into HHonors if they were transferred in from elsewhere (as opposed to earned through travel).

Are there any other programs that can be used in the middle? I hear that Amtrak is possible, but there is a 25k annual cap? Has anyone found anything else that is still working?
I'm am sorry that I keep responding to my own posts, but I keep finding more information as I continue to look around. It looks like the Amtrak route that was an option for a while is dead as well unless you have one of these Chase credit cards or already have elevated status with Amtrak:
Effective January 1, 2008, the option to redeem Amtrak Guest Rewards points for airline miles, hotel points and experiential rewards will only be available to: 1). Members with current Amtrak Guest Rewards Select or Select Plus status, or 2). Cardholders of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank. Members that are cardholders of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank may redeem up to 25,000 points per calendar year. Members with current Select or Select Plus status may redeem up to 50,000 points per calendar year.
I'm in the process of planning out my honeymoon to Hawaii this weekend (for October 2008), and I'm trying to figure out how best to use my MR points for hotel stays. We already booked the flight (with a free inter-island connection on Island Air) and paid with MR points through CO. I just don't know where to begin on hotels. We're open to any chains. We're just looking to leverage some points where possible.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AMEX, Hyatt, AA
I'm am sorry that I keep responding to my own posts, but I keep finding more information as I continue to look around. It looks like the Amtrak route that was an option for a while is dead as well unless you have one of these Chase credit cards or already have elevated status with Amtrak:
Effective January 1, 2008, the option to redeem Amtrak Guest Rewards points for airline miles, hotel points and experiential rewards will only be available to: 1). Members with current Amtrak Guest Rewards Select or Select Plus status, or 2). Cardholders of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank. Members that are cardholders of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank may redeem up to 25,000 points per calendar year. Members with current Select or Select Plus status may redeem up to 50,000 points per calendar year.
I'm in the process of planning out my honeymoon to Hawaii this weekend (for October 2008), and I'm trying to figure out how best to use my MR points for hotel stays. We already booked the flight (with a free inter-island connection on Island Air) and paid with MR points through CO. I just don't know where to begin on hotels. We're open to any chains. We're just looking to leverage some points where possible.
I have been using some Marriott rewards points and noticed that you can buy points for 1.25 cents each. Buying points and redeeming them is sometimes quite a bit cheaper than paying for a marriott room directly. I do not know the max on the # of points you can buy, though (50,000)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.