Search

Plat Card just paid for itself

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2002, 3:28 pm
EMD
Original Member
Original Poster

Plat Card just paid for itself

I must admit that part of the reason I paid the $300 to get a plat card is b/c I thought it was cool. Ever since then, I've been questioning its value - I don't fly NW as much as I used to, I wasn't getting use of the WorldClub benefit that much, etc... However, two weeks ago - the card paid for itself and then some.

We flew into MCO to go to Port Canaveral for a cruise. We got into the airport around 10:30 and had reserved a car with Avis - not on the Plat Amex, mind you. When we got there - HUGE line at the Avis counter - and every other counter - as it was the weekend of the Daytona 500 - and Avis had NO CARS. None. Sorry, we can't help you. The same for Hertz and National.

I called the Plat help line - and within about 20 minutes, they had a car for me with Thrifty. Went to Thrifty - they said - we have no cars, we can't even get on to our own system, what is your reservation #? The reservation # given to us by Amex overrode the lockout - and we had a car reservation. Even they were amazed.

That was worth the 300 bucks - easy.
Old Mar 6, 2002, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Outstanding!
It is always good to hear a positive first hand report.

-dp
Old Mar 6, 2002, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wow!! Impressive.
Old Mar 6, 2002, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't the Plat card come with free enrollment into Avis's preferred program?

d
Old Mar 6, 2002, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Why didn't Avis honor your original reservation?
Old Mar 7, 2002, 9:20 am
Original Member

Sometimes they can really pull one out, especially with last-minute restaurant reservations on holidays. Glad you had a good experience.
Old Mar 8, 2002, 7:52 pm

The Best Value guarantee always pays for itself for me.

Purchased 2 Dell Computers 12/26 for around $4220 total.. 2 months later (actually 1 day short of the Best Value 60 day window), Dell had the same machines for $3700.

Processed the paperwork, and received the first of my 2 $250 checks in the mail this week. For a technology purchaser like myself, well worth it. Max benefit is $1000/year, but I already have received $650 this year of benefit...
Old Mar 10, 2002, 2:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ToddETurner:
The Best Value guarantee always pays for itself for me.

Purchased 2 Dell Computers 12/26 for around $4220 total.. 2 months later (actually 1 day short of the Best Value 60 day window), Dell had the same machines for $3700.

Processed the paperwork, and received the first of my 2 $250 checks in the mail this week. For a technology purchaser like myself, well worth it. Max benefit is $1000/year, but I already have received $650 this year of benefit...
</font>

Where is this info on the Amex website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.