Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Credit Line Increase Policies

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

AMEX Credit Line Increase Policies

I had a $1,000 credit limit on my AMEX Hilton and a $13,000 CL on my Delta Skymiles AMEX. I want to increase spending on my AMEX Hilton, so I requested a CL increase on it Friday. I was immediately approved for an increase to $3,000, then I asked the CSR if I could reallocate $10,000 from my Delta Skymiles card. She said I could, requested the increase, then claimed I was approved for the $10,000 reallocation -- I pressed her on this, because that didn't sound right, but she insisted I was -- though she said the increase wouldn't be available for seven to 10 days.

Today I received a letter that my request wasn't approved. Reading a past thread, I discovered CL reallocations can't be processed from a card until it has been open for 13 months, and my DSM card was opened last July.

So ... I'm thinking I'll close the Delta Skymiles card, which I don't use, and request another CL increase. Reducing my AMEX CL from $16,000 to $3,000 (have a FICO score of about 760 and very good credit history) should make me a good candidate for this. My question is, Do you have to wait a period of time after being approved for a CL before AMEX will approve you for another? The AMEX reps to whom I've spoken seem fairly clueless about CL increase policies.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:21 pm

When I opened my second Amex card, it had a much lower limit than my first. So I wanted to reallocate some credit to even them out. I was told I can reallocate after 60 days. So after two months I went online and requested a reallocation through the website, and it was immediately approved and reflected on my accounts.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nirm41
When I opened my second Amex card, it had a much lower limit than my first. So I wanted to reallocate some credit to even them out. I was told I can reallocate after 60 days. So after two months I went online and requested a reallocation through the website, and it was immediately approved and reflected on my accounts.
How did you request the reallocation? I've seen forms to submit for credit limit increases, but haven't seen anything for a reallocation. thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See this thread for discussion of credit line reallocation:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...le-2011-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.