Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Second Global Entry Reimbursement?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by crimson12
My wife and I got Amex Plats last year and both got Global Entry. At the time they told us children under some age (14?) weren't eligible for GE. Now it seems like they've gotten rid of the limit and children can get GE. So my question is, if I apply for GE for my daughter using the Plat, will the second fee also get reimbursed? Anyone have experience with this? (I would guess that if there were multiple GE charges all at once, they wouldn't all get reimbursed, but I was wondering if I might get lucky because they're spaced out in my case.)
Children 14 and under can now join GE for free.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
do you have a link? mine will turn 15 in a month if they are free i am going to sign them up.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yoyo
do you have a link? mine will turn 15 in a month if they are free i am going to sign them up.
+1. I'd never heard this but it would be great news.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:54 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
+1. I would appreciate any info on this as well. I have been searching all over but am not seeing how to accomplish this.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by b8b
+1. I would appreciate any info on this as well. I have been searching all over but am not seeing how to accomplish this.
Multiple posters on FT have reported that, after you have entered a child's age (I believe 14 or under) into the GE application, the site will request $0 at billing.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: amex gold, hhonors gold, spg gold :)
Originally Posted by b8b
i just tried it for my child, 5 years old and at the end, they were asking me to pay $100.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
IIRC, previous posts elsewhere in this forum report that:
  • The $100 GE application fee reimbursement is one-time per card. It is NOT annual.
  • Each card is eligible for the reimbursement - primary and AU cards.
  • The reimbursement is triggered by a charge from GOES (the website that can be used for enrollment in either GE or Nexus).
  • The GOES application does not need to be in the name of the cardholder, though I believe most of the cases reported were for spouses or other family members.
  • A NEXUS application is $50 and includes GE membership if approved, but NEXUS applications require an interview at sites near the US/Canada border. There are more GE interview sites elsewhere across the US.
  • A single $50 charge for a NEXUS application posted by GOES will be reimbursed. You MAY be able to get two $50 charges for two separate NEXUS applications posted by GOES to be reimbursed, but I can't recall if anyone has actually reported doing this.
  • Since the $175 AU fee on the US personal Plat Card allows up to 3 separate AU cards, you effectively can get 3 GOES/GE/NEXUS reimbursements, in addition to the one from the primary card, for the single AU fee.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by mulbry
is this in addition to a global entry fee reimbursement or instead of applying for the Global Enrty, apply for two Nexus (nexsii?)
When you apply for Nexus, Global Entry is automatically included, so just apply for two (remember, each person is a separate application) Nexus (Nexii!). AMEX will see 2 $50 charges from the correct "merchant" that triggers the GE reimbursement & the computer will automatically reimburse you for both.

When you go for the Nexus interview, at the end just remind the CBP agent to please put a GE sticker on the inside back cover of your passports (sometimes they forget, because it's a Nexus interview & they forget Nexus & GE are automatically linked).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:26 pm
b8b

Multiple posters on FT have reported that, after you have entered a child's age (I believe 14 or under) into the GE application, the site will request $0 at billing.
Originally Posted by hchon
i just tried it for my child, 5 years old and at the end, they were asking me to pay $100.
Same here for 12 year old, still charges
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
a few months back when i enrolled my daughter (1.5 yr old) they charged $100
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:37 pm
b8b

Just called Global Entry, all applicants are $100.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by b8b
Just called Global Entry, all applicants are $100.
I am not surprised. I wonder what those posters who reported that their kids were free were seeing.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
I am not surprised. I wonder what those posters who reported that their kids were free were seeing.
According to wikipedia (for what it's worth), the fee for NEXUS is waived for applicants under the age of 18. So maybe that's it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by taliesin
According to wikipedia (for what it's worth), the fee for NEXUS is waived for applicants under the age of 18. So maybe that's it.
Now you know to never trust wikipedia.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Ducati
Now you know to never trust wikipedia.
I think that Wikipedia is correct (in this case). NEXUS enrollment fees are waived for minors, but are $50 for adults. Global Entry is $100 for everyone, regardless of age.

Originally Posted by gooselee
IIRC, previous posts elsewhere in this forum report that:[*]A single $50 charge for a NEXUS application posted by GOES will be reimbursed. You MAY be able to get two $50 charges for two separate NEXUS applications posted by GOES to be reimbursed, but I can't recall if anyone has actually reported doing this.
I can verify that this is true - at least it was a bit over a year ago. I specifically got NEXUS because at that time kids under 12 couldn't get GE. Four of us (two adults, two kids) got approved for NEXUS - the kids were free, and the GOES charges for the adults were $2*50. Both $50 charges were reimbursed by the AmEx Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.