Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would you deploy 325K MR points?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

How would you deploy 325K MR points?

I'll soon have to give up my company-issued Amex card, and therefore must close my MR account. I have amassed 325K MR points without much thought as to what to do with them. Any suggestions on how to maximize values for transfer to other programs or spend?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
If I had to liquidate 325K MR, I would think about my travel plans for the next 12 months and see if there was a good value for them to be used for reward travel on one of the transfer partners. Looking to BA first as it looks as though there will be a 30% transfer bonus in December. I like the BOS-DUB deal at 25k Avios r/t. Other BA options to Europe are not good as most have a high fuel surcharge. Rewards within the USA redeemed through BA are as wellusually a good value (on AA metal).

If you don't have any travel needs within the next year, and you don't want to "bank" miles with a FF program and watch them slowly diminish in value... look for deals with the Amex gift cards. I think a $100 Home Depot gift card is on special for 8k MR... there are probably others, I haven't looked lately.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
Apply for a new Amex

Why not apply for a new Amex card (probably Amex Gold Card or PR gold card) and register them to earn membership reward points?
That way, your points will be valid as long as you keep the card and earn points. And you don't have to think about travel when you don't have any travel plans.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by gates1580
Why not apply for a new Amex card (probably Amex Gold Card or PR gold card) and register them to earn membership reward points?
That way, your points will be valid as long as you keep the card and earn points. And you don't have to think about travel when you don't have any travel plans.
uh... duh... why didn't I think of that!

There are sign-up bonuses of 25k & 50k, depending on how much initial spend you can handle during the first 90 days... they should have the fee waived for the first year as well.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the idea. I would like to avoid annual fees by emptying my MR account.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:04 am

Every AMEX Gold Card offer I have seen has the first year fee waived. That way you get a good sign-up bonus (usually 50K MR) and you get another year to burn your points
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
People!!!!!!!!!!.....use your points, there is absolutely no reason in hoarding points. You don't get interest on points you know seriously though, i use my points on travel i wouldn't have even thought about if i had to pay for it. There are plenty of ways to burn 325k points but nobody in this forum could give you an answer without knowing more about you. For me, the best value is taking unplanned vacations via frequent flyer transfers,...i've taken 6 vacations this year and have already 2 planned for January to Punta Cana and the other to a Safari in Kenya but I have a very flexible work schedule since I run my own business. Whatever you do...SPEND THEM DARNED POINTS AND ENJOY YOURSELF MY MAN^
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Member

To answer the original question: Take a good look at what Hawaiian Airlines miles can do for you. Especially note its partners.

Last edited by mia; Nov 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm Reason: Repair link
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:41 pm
jln

Programs: AMEX Cent, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
To max value? Hmmm...

I'd convert 240k MR to 300k HH points (in the UK, not sure about US conversion).

Then I'd book a Beach Villa for 6 nights at the Conrad Maldives for 50,000 HHonors points a night (using the Standard Room Reward). Just did a search and the Beach Villa, one year from now, sells for $1,155.77 per night, incl tax and prepaid discount. So that's a value of approx $6,934.62. Do it over New Years Eve or some busy holiday, and the monetary value is even higher of course.

Then, I'd convert the remaining 85,000 MR points to whichever airline could fly me to the Maldives. Depending on the airline, you could fly for free in economy, get a business class upgrade, etc.

That's about $8,000 in real value. Maybe a lot more, depending on what flight you can get, when you go, etc.

If you go to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-do-i-do.html
you can see that some people get even up to 20 cents per point. But that's pretty much only possible by using the points to fly first class, etc.

Last edited by jln; Nov 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by xxpert
People!!!!!!!!!!.....use your points, there is absolutely no reason in hoarding points. You don't get interest on points you know seriously though, i use my points on travel i wouldn't have even thought about if i had to pay for it. There are plenty of ways to burn 325k points but nobody in this forum could give you an answer without knowing more about you. For me, the best value is taking unplanned vacations via frequent flyer transfers,...i've taken 6 vacations this year and have already 2 planned for January to Punta Cana and the other to a Safari in Kenya but I have a very flexible work schedule since I run my own business. Whatever you do...SPEND THEM DARNED POINTS AND ENJOY YOURSELF MY MAN^
Actually, thinking about this, it is darned good advice.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
... look for deals with the Amex gift cards. I think a $100 Home Depot gift card is on special for 8k MR... there are probably others, I haven't looked lately.
$100 HD gift cards are indeed 8k point redemption right now. As far as gift cards are concerned, that's a pretty good deal. As a comparison, AMEX $100 GC are 12000 points.

Now if only Home Depot gift cards were accepted at other stores.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by georgenc
$100 HD gift cards are indeed 8k point redemption right now. As far as gift cards are concerned, that's a pretty good deal. As a comparison, AMEX $100 GC are 12000 points.

Now if only Home Depot gift cards were accepted at other stores.
Doesn't Home Depot have a gift card rack there? If so I wonder if you can buy another merchants gift card with the Home Depot one?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by canesfan
Doesn't Home Depot have a gift card rack there? If so I wonder if you can buy another merchants gift card with the Home Depot one?
Interestng thought, the only time I've ever bought gift cards with a gift card was at our local triangle sbux. I am not sure though, it may be worth a shot trying.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by georgenc
Interestng thought, the only time I've ever bought gift cards with a gift card was at our local triangle sbux. I am not sure though, it may be worth a shot trying.
Where are you seeing these HD gift cards you speak of? I can't find them on the shopamex site.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hotcarl
Where are you seeing these HD gift cards you speak of? I can't find them on the shopamex site.
I just searched for home depot in the membership rewards site, under gift cards. $100 The Home DepotŪ eGift Card ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.