Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex UK Shop Small - Spend £5 get £5 credit in November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold

http://www.amex.co.uk/shopsmall

The first time you spend £5 or more on your card at each participating local shop, American Express will put £5 back in your account. Chemist or café, wine or wellies, each new shop you visit can get you another £5 back.
Quite surprised by the amount of small retailers near me taking part. Will make my haircut a bit cheaper later this week!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Good stuff and plenty local to me - although confusingly my local Italian (who stopped taking amex 8 months ago) is listed, as is another place which likes to add 3% to accept amex
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: Yes please
A useful post - which is more than can be said for the map of participating locations in the Amex web site; taking as an example one small area of Oxford many of the dots turn out to refer to shops in places as far apart as Camberley and Durham! 'Chef & Brewer' pubs seem to be taking part; how they qualify as 'Small Businesses' beats me.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Yes the map is useless. Several shops at the end of my road are in completely different parts of the UK.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Bit confused by the T&Cs. I was sent an invite by Lloyds TSB, but their card doesn't seem to be elligible in the T&Cs. Also I was about so alert a couple of friends to this who recently got cards, but it says you must have had a card for 100 days already.

From the T&Cs:

To redeem the Programme Offer set forth on this Registration Page, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

· You must be 18 years of age or older and be a valid holder of an Eligible Card registered with the Programme Offer.

· An "Eligible Card" is a valid American Express Platinum Cashback Credit Card, Platinum Charge Card, Preferred Rewards Gold Card or Green Card card issued in the UK by American Express Services Europe Limited. Prepaid cards, gift cards, small business and corporate cards are not eligible. You must meet any additional eligibility requirements contained in the Offer Terms.

· Cards relating to accounts which have been open for less than 100 days are not eligible. The account under which the Eligible Card is issued must be active and not in default or (in our reasonable opinion) at risk of default.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Hmmm, it accepted my BA Amex ok.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chistery
Hmmm, it accepted my BA Amex ok.
and mine!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I think the T&Cs have changed today:

An "Eligible Card" is a valid American Express card issued in the UK by American Express Services Europe Limited, Lloyds TSB Bank plc or MBNA Europe Bank Limited. Prepaid cards, gift cards, small business and corporate cards are not eligible. You must meet any additional eligibility requirements contained in the Offer Terms.
So you can use a BA Amex. I have synced both anyway.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
I just got sent this by AMEX. Am I missing some catch with this promotion? If I spend GBP5.xx at any of the stores I get GBP5 back?

This includes most Costcutters and many newsagents etc across London, could be quite a free spending spree if you have time. Sadly I am only in UK for 2 days in November!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No catch.

I've worked out that I could blind drunk by walking up Kings Road and visiting all the participating pubs in this promotion. Or get a hundred packs of free crisps from the pubs!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond,
There is an option to link it to your foursquare account. This would make looking for venues simpler as you can search on your mobile web browser when you are out as the amex one is very slow. Not all merchants though are on foursquare as well.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:20 am
Original Poster

10 mins after paying for my haircut with my BA Amex I received an email from Amex confirming the sale and the credit to be applied in 3 to 5 days.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by chistery
10 mins after paying for my haircut with my BA Amex I received an email from Amex confirming the sale and the credit to be applied in 3 to 5 days.
Likewise after I bought lunch, impressed.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by justin1123

This includes most Costcutters and many newsagents etc across London,
does anyone know if each costcutter considered separate? can i use the offer in more then one?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:58 pm

Could be an interesting way to eat out for a month in London if there were a way to match up the list of participating restaurants to the list of restaurant that accept the Taste card!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.