Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

For those who upgraded from AMEX Gold PR --> Platinum.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For those who upgraded from AMEX Gold PR --> Platinum.....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Question For those who upgraded from AMEX Gold PR --> Platinum.....

Did you receive 25k (or another amount) bonus points?

I was speaking with customer service and the rep recommended I wait for an upgrade bonus which he claimed was quite often.

Any experiences with this?

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 pm

I have received the 25k bonus points offer many times (pretty much every time) I called CSR. But never took it since I have read folks getting much better upgrade offers (50k, 75k, etc).

One more question - do these upgrades trigger a hard credit pull or not?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:46 am

I used to get offers occasionally to upgrade from my Green card to Plat--I went for it when they offered 50k.

It did not trigger a hard pull to upgrade from Green. I think it would be less likely, if anything, to require a hard pull from Gold + MR.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:05 am

I upgraded last Nov to Plat and received 50k MR ! that was nice so i would wait for at least that.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Wow... much nicer upgrade offers.

@fwoomp/jordan: Did you get these upgrade offers through customer service or on the website (when you actually performed the upgrade)?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by drew4392

@fwoomp/jordan: Did you get these upgrade offers through customer service or on the website (when you actually performed the upgrade)?

Thanks!
well i got couple of letters about it and it was loggd on my account so when i called amex about an upcoming trip or something they suggested that to me and offered the 50k so i went with it ! i've heard people got more but i was satisifed with the 50k - thats 500 dollars worth !
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
I just upgraded this week from gold to plat for the 25k offer, not earth shattering but since the $200 airline credit is based on calendar year i will get $400 in airline credit before my next fee comes up so i went ahead and did it. 10k spend required in the first 6 months
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by xxpert
I just upgraded this week from gold to plat for the 25k offer, not earth shattering but since the $200 airline credit is based on calendar year i will get $400 in airline credit before my next fee comes up so i went ahead and did it. 10k spend required in the first 6 months
Thats one trick i didn't know about when i got mine last nov , i could have gotten GC for those 200 but blah i was a noob with my plat card hahah.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:10 pm

Thanks!
They sent me an email inviting me to upgrade, which included the offer of 50k and an RSVP code. They offered the option of calling to process the upgrade or a link to do it online. I just used the link.

I'd gotten emails from them before, as well as letters in the mail.

Also, there was no spending requirement. As I was already working on spends for several other cards, I wouldn't have taken them up on it if there had been!

I may have gotten a good deal because the Green had been my primary card for years.

Last edited by fwoomp; Oct 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm Reason: More detail/weird autocorrect verbiage
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Yes, I took the 25k a few weeks ago, haven't been offered anything better, and they've had this offer for the past year

Since I had an upcoming $150 AA fee, I thought it would be worthwhile, ESP considering I'm paying $175 for PR gold anyhow

The only better offers I had seen were fresh new accounts

I have a large credit card purchase coming up around Jan- Feb and am looking at various spend bonus credit cards ... A bit tempted towards going for the Southwest companion pass, but that would take $60k in spend on top of the 50k sign up bonus, and I am only budgetting out around $55k-60k spend total next year, so it's a bit of a stretch

I'm already tied into AA plat, and will be doing a few mattress runs to renew Hyatt diamond ... Not interested switching hotels, I want my rewards to be worth at least 2%, or I should stick to paying some of the potential spend in usual cash
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:46 pm

I spend 5,000 to 10,000 every month with them and never get any offers
anyone know why
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

That is my concern, too. I'm coming up on 1yr with the Gold PR... and customer service said the offers will come after the first year. Who knows how long I'm going to have to wait.

Assuming the folks that got the bonus point offers were gold PR cardholders for longer than a year.

Traveling a bit, and may just upgrade as I need the lounge access and other benefits would be nice.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:19 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
That is my concern, too. I'm coming up on 1yr with the Gold PR... and customer service said the offers will come after the first year. Who knows how long I'm going to have to wait.

Assuming the folks that got the bonus point offers were gold PR cardholders for longer than a year.

Traveling a bit, and may just upgrade as I need the lounge access and other benefits would be nice.
If you applied for the card in Late Feb 2012, then it is a good time to upgrade now. Even if you do not get the 25k miles (only 1 of 4 acts got it in our family) and even then only the account with the old account display did so, it is still worth it due to the 200$ fee reimbursed on this year and 100$ Global entry application fee. - You get 300$ worth of credits at once for 2012 and again for 2013.
Cost is likely 450 + about 150 for the remaining months and you would get it all back.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat

I only had my business PRG for 8 months but I've had the personal since 2009 and I've been getting offers to upgrade both. I spend about 20k a month
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:44 pm

Anyone ever been able to negotiate up on this? They've been pretty pushy about getting me to upgrade (the banner is always there when I sign in, I've gotten 2-3 things in the mail, and last time I had to activate a replacement card it routed me to a rep who tried to pitch an upgrade to me. Thing is they have only ever offered 25k, and at 25k I'd rather take the hard pull and get 50k with a new Plat (or MB Plat) and get the full 50k bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.