Wiki Posts
Search

5k Referral is back for Personal & Business Amex SPG

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
5k Referral is back for Personal & Business Amex SPG

Saw this in my amex online account. It looks to be 5k for a total of 55k per year:

Link you should be able to use to access it:
Personal - https://www262.americanexpress.com/b...gm/200002-CCSG
Business - https://www262.americanexpress.com/b...gm/200001-OPEN

Last edited by nakataboi; Dec 3, 2013 at 5:59 pm
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
5k Referral is back for Personal Amex SPG

thanks! my parents were both looking for a new card... maybe I can talk them into this one with my referral
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:53 am

I applied on 11/21. Chatting with an AMEX rep right now and the referral link opened up on 11/27.

Tried to get my wife the 5000 pts using my wife as the referrer, but instead was offered as a goodwill 1000 SPG pts. Never hurts to ask.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Use this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-first-11.html for asking for & giving referrals.

Us this thread for discussion only. Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I logged in and then clicked on the OP's link and got this message:

Your Card is not eligible to participate at this time. Thank you for your interest,and please check back with American Express for future promotions. I have the SPG Business & wanted to refer my wife.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
I logged in and then clicked on the OP's link and got this message:

Your Card is not eligible to participate at this time. Thank you for your interest,and please check back with American Express for future promotions. I have the SPG Business & wanted to refer my wife.
I think you would need to own the SPG card over a year before becoming eligible to earn the referral bonus.

OTOH, it is a huge pain to get such bonus posted. I had done a few between 2011 and 2012, out of a total of 5 successful referrals, only 2 posted automatically. The other 3 I had to fight hard to get them posted. (by submitting the referree's name, city of residence on the application and the last 5 digits of the card).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
I think you would need to own the SPG card over a year before becoming eligible to earn the referral bonus.

OTOH, it is a huge pain to get such bonus posted. I had done a few between 2011 and 2012, out of a total of 5 successful referrals, only 2 posted automatically. The other 3 I had to fight hard to get them posted. (by submitting the referree's name, city of residence on the application and the last 5 digits of the card).
I've had the SPG business card over 2 years.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by philemer
I've had the SPG business card over 2 years.
FWIW, I've had my business for 5 days longer than my personal (both are 10 months old), and my business does not have an option for referral.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:07 pm

I've had my personal card since the end of August and I was able to access the referral link... Maybe it's just not available to business card holders.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
it is a huge pain to get such bonus posted. I had done a few between 2011 and 2012, out of a total of 5 successful referrals, only 2 posted automatically. The other 3 I had to fight hard to get them posted. (by submitting the referree's name, city of residence on the application and the last 5 digits of the card).
Maybe this is part of the reason they discontinued the program in the first place? It would be nice if it worked better this time around . . .
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
I've had my personal card since the end of August and I was able to access the referral link... Maybe it's just not available to business card holders.
Same here.

Also noticed I can get a 7.5k MR bonus for a Plat Referral.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:22 pm

I have had my SPG personal 3 days and I was able to access the link
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:37 pm

Just in case anyone is looking for other options, if you are signed in with you BCP you can get a link for $50 referral credit. Didn't get anything to come up for the no AF Hilton.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:20 pm

I applied for this card over the summer during the 25k offer. I already had an Amex account so I think that is why this issue happened with my card application.

I received the 10k first purchase and have reached the $5k spending and didn't get the spending bonus. I talked with Amex via the live chat and was told the 25k offer wasn't valid on my account. After being persistent that I applied under it, he said he would forward the issue to the appropriate team.

It's now been about a week and no response. (Which I feel is unlike Amex.. they normally respond quicker).

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed so that I receive my bonus or does anyone know of an Amex email that I can contact in regards to this? I don't have any free time in the coming days to spend on the phone unfortunately.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by m22nyc25
I applied for this card over the summer during the 25k offer. I already had an Amex account so I think that is why this issue happened with my card application.

I received the 10k first purchase and have reached the $5k spending and didn't get the spending bonus. I talked with Amex via the live chat and was told the 25k offer wasn't valid on my account. After being persistent that I applied under it, he said he would forward the issue to the appropriate team.

It's now been about a week and no response. (Which I feel is unlike Amex.. they normally respond quicker).

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed so that I receive my bonus or does anyone know of an Amex email that I can contact in regards to this? I don't have any free time in the coming days to spend on the phone unfortunately.
I had the same issue with my surpass card and ended up fighting for 6 months for the bonus.... and got nothing, not even the $75 fee reimbursed and cancelled the damn card because it was useless and a waste of a credit pull

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.