Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
If you don't have a spare tire. For roadside assistance how would it work? Would they still try to repair the tire? And even if you did have a spare tire would they replace it?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by happyvoid
If you don't have a spare tire. For roadside assistance how would it work? Would they still try to repair the tire? And even if you did have a spare tire would they replace it?
they will change your tire if you have a spare. If your spare is not available, then they will tow you to a location of your choice. Bear in mind the towing limitations of $50
levilevi likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA PLT
I've used RA 4 or 5 times for lockouts and jumps in various urban areas. Always less than an hour response time, even in heavy snow or rush hour traffic.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Just found out the hard way (i.e. broken down in the middle of rural West Virginia) that this benefit was killed as of January 1. That seriously sucks. Especially given that the other travel benefits (I have the plat card) are basically useless this year. UGH!
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:15 pm

I agree. Since AMEX dropped this benefit maybe they could cover AAA membership instead.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some benefit here would make sense since so many of us are now road-tripping instead of flying.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I have a plat and have had excellent service In the past using the towing feature of their roadside assistance. Son with a gold AU on my plat is away at college with a car registered in my name. Needs a tow this week to a mechanic. Can I call it in to Amex roadside assistance but not be at the scene when they collect car? TIA
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I have a plat and have had excellent service In the past using the towing feature of their roadside assistance. Son with a gold AU on my plat is away at college with a car registered in my name. Needs a tow this week to a mechanic. Can I call it in to Amex roadside assistance but not be at the scene when they collect car? TIA
on the US cards that benefit is no longer provided
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
on the US cards that benefit is no longer provided
Geez! And they upped the AF. Another reason to seriously consider canceling this card. Thanks for the info.
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:20 am

Geez! And they upped the AF. Another reason to seriously consider canceling this card. Thanks for the info.
This benefit was discontinued on January 1, 2020 (nearing two years ago now). At the time AMEX justified the move by citing internal data that few customers actually utilized the benefit.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
This benefit was discontinued on January 1, 2020 (nearing two years ago now). At the time AMEX justified the move by citing internal data that few customers actually utilized the benefit.
We used it plenty lol. Keeping my CSR!
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
We used it plenty lol. Keeping my CSR!
Well, to each their own, but honestly with the $550 annual fee that the CSR is moving to going forward, I really don't know how in the world anyone can justify it, relative to the benefits the card provides. I downgraded my CSR and took the 100K CSP offer.

Frankly, a AAA membership would be a lot cheaper (and probably better overall benefit) than holding the CSR @ $550 per year (and yes, I'm aware of the travel credit, but that is just giving you back your own money)

Regards
Statman likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:53 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
I really don't know how in the world anyone can justify it, relative to the benefits the card provides
Pretty easy for certain people to justify it for at least a year, even without a SUB.

If you are someone that would otherwise buy Lyft Pink ($200), travel ($300), use peloton ($120), and shop with DoorDash ($60), you are already at $680. That customer may not be you (and I agree it's a niche pool of people) but the card definitely works for some. Some people have different wants and needs than you do.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, to each their own, but honestly with the $550 annual fee that the CSR is moving to going forward, I really don't know how in the world anyone can justify it, relative to the benefits the card provides. I downgraded my CSR and took the 100K CSP offer.

Frankly, a AAA membership would be a lot cheaper (and probably better overall benefit) than holding the CSR @ $550 per year (and yes, I'm aware of the travel credit, but that is just giving you back your own money)

Regards
In the NYC metro area, when I had AAA the times when I needed a tow, they took 90 minutes to come (days with NO weather issues.) On most auto insurance policies, the roadside asst. fee is around $10/6 mos.--but you have to find the tow (and get reimbused.)
Also RA on highways is by licensed tow, AAA was not licensed,was AMEX?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:21 am

nrr I couldn't find a direct answer to your question but the benefit Terms & Conditions (I pulled these down through the Wayback Machine) suggest that maybe...?

You'll have to forgive me because I am unfamiliar with the nuances of licenses necessary to perform tow service on highways (and I'm surprised that AAA does not fit this bill) but there is no mention of "licensed" services in the term. However, the portion I have quoted below seems to speak to this circumstance...

Roadside Assistance may not be capable of contracting service on a restricted roadway. A restricted roadway is a roadway that only allows a specific towing company to service disablements that occur on the identified roadway. We will attempt to arrange for a restricted roadway service provider to service the vehicle, at the cost of the Card Member and at the rate specified by the service provider, but may be unable to do so. If towing services at the cost of the Card Member are required, we will attempt to arrange service to a point where Roadside Assistance is able to provide further towing services under standard program coverage terms.
So it seems like Amex would have arranged a relay of sorts, presumably where the consumer pays for a tow to the nearest highway exit and then the amex tow company picks it up from there. Probably more trouble than it was worth but maybe that inconvenience actually saved a chunk of change?

Again, this is all moot given that the benefit is toast, but makes for interesting discussion all the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.