Experience with Roadside Assistance

Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:48 pm

Used it twice in the last year, pretty much paid for the annual fee right there.

Had a great experience both times, even thought the second time I had to use it the CSR said it was a busy night and it might be 4 hours before a truck got to me. The rep had the balls to ask me if I really needed the service and if that was the case maybe I should look elsewhere. I had to ask her if that was joke and was this really representative of Amex. I told her that was ridiculous and that she needed to try harder. 10 minutes later she called back and said she found a tow service the next city over that would arrive within an hour.

Considering neither tow cost me anything other than the annual fee I already paid, I am more than happy.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:42 am

Does roadside assistance only come with the personal platinum, not the business?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FTaddict
... not the business?
It is included with USA-issued business cards:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...latinumcard-lm

Premium Roadside Assistance‡
Whether you need a tow or a jumpstart, we'll send help your way 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Emergency services like towing up to 10 miles, changing a flat, or jumpstarting a battery are a phone call away—even if you're in your driveway—and we will pay for included services up to four times a year. There are some vehicle exclusions and other important restrictions.
https://www262.americanexpress.com/b...dBenefitsTerms

Premium Roadside Assistance
Premium Roadside Assistance provides the following services at no additional cost up to 4 times per calendar year when Card Member is present with the eligible vehicle: towing up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change when Card Member has a workable spare, lockout service when key is in vehicle and delivery of up to 2 gallons of fuel. Card Member will be charged for the costs of towing in excess of 10 miles and any other additional services. Coverage is available in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This product does not cover some vehicles, e.g. rental vehicles, motorcycles, taxicabs, unlicensed vehicles, tractors and trucks over 10,000 lbs gross vehicle weight. Other important exclusions apply. In case of inclement weather, we may be unable to provide you with services. Services may not be available or may be at the cost of the Card Member on roadways which restrict access to certain service providers. Lockout service may be unavailable for vehicles with transponder keys. Subject to additional important terms, conditions and exclusions. For full Terms and Conditions, call 1-800-333-AMEX or see americanexpress.com/RAterms.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by PDXoriginal
The rep had the balls to ask me if I really needed the service and if that was the case maybe I should look elsewhere. I had to ask her if that was joke and was this really representative of Amex. I told her that was ridiculous and that she needed to try harder.
Wait, what exactly happened that made her ask that?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:05 pm

Locked my keys in the car this morning while scraping my windshield. Called up Amex, and they had someone out there within half an hour.

Overall, just like AAA, except it came with great Amex service.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Had a flat tire, and no lug tool to take the wheel off. I called the regular AMEX # and was transferred to Global Assist. Told them the details and they said someone would be there in 70 minutes. 20 minutes later the towing company calls asking for my location. They showed up 10 minutes later and I was on my way within 45 minutes of placing the call. Very pleasant experience.

I don't understand the people that complain about not using the AMEX benefits, it is nice knowing that you always have someone that can help!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by AJCU

I don't understand the people that complain about not using the AMEX benefits, it is nice knowing that you always have someone that can help!
I think some folks (including me) just thnk that the perks that used to be offered with the card have not been replaced with substantial enough benefits to justify the annual fee. Companion flies free and Lounge access significantly offset the yearly cost of the card. Some might argue that Roadside service does not.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:33 am

Ritz- You are long time flyertalk member so I am shocked you state Amex companion flies free is a great benefit. You can find countless flyertalk threads regarding the International 2for1 tickets normally are more than double the cost of two discounted biz or F tickets.

The 2for1 would be a benefit is if you are reimbursed from an employer or have contract such as a public speaker , movie actor, author, and you are reimbursed for your ticket. The Amex 2for1 is useful if you need a ticket that is flexible or need last minute changes.

Originally Posted by Ritz
I think some folks (including me) just thnk that the perks that used to be offered with the card have not been replaced with substantial enough benefits to justify the annual fee. Companion flies free and Lounge access significantly offset the yearly cost of the card. Some might argue that Roadside service does not.

Back to the thread topic. My roadside experience was 2 hours later than promised but I do not think it was the fault of Amex
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
... shocked...
I believe Ritz was referring to the domestic economy class companion benefit, which was discontinued in 2008:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...1-15-08-a.html
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I believe Ritz was referring to the domestic economy class companion benefit, which was discontinued in 2008:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...1-15-08-a.html
Indeed, I was - as i was referring to benefits that been removed the card.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

My apology for misunderstanding. I am in agreement with you.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I know its not a new benefit, but I did use the amex free roadside service benefit yesterday! Never thought that would happen
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:01 pm

Yesterday car wouldn't start. called 800-333-2639 (the direct roadside number-keep it in your phone contacts) and gave my Plat card number. She got a truck there in 12 minutes to jump start it. Quite satisfied.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i had a good towing experience, as well as another couple experiences, years ago though
Old May 29, 2015, 4:09 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
The clutch in my Honda decided to give out... right at the stoplight to a busy intersection. Almost 220k miles on the original clutch so I guess I got some good use out of it. CS rep was helpful. My preferred mechanic was 30 miles away so I just paid the difference in cost past the included 10 miles. The car is naturally low to the ground so I requested a flatbed with no issues, which came in under an hour. Not bad I guess during a Memorial Day weekend night. Rode shotgun to my tech's garage, and he even drove me 30 miles back to my place (but YMMV with this one depending on the driver's mood or if he has another call). Everything went as smoothly as could be expected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.