Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Triple insured

Originally Posted by nrr
The two times I called AAA for a tow (each day was warm weather, no rain--so there shouldn't be a spate of calls one would expect in the winter), in each case the two truck took over 90 minutes to arrive, on the 2nd tow, they weren't even sure if they could do the two)--when my AAA came up for renewal (a few days ago) I cancelled. I now have towing through Toyota (due to their special deal for new cars). I don't know (and hopefully won't, if my car doesn't break down) how long they would take to tow me--what experience have others had with AMEX?
Thanks for the Toyota comment - turns out I am triple insured as I have this too. This is ridiculous!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Great input thanks

Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
Just had the opportunity to use it a couple days ago. i needed a tow so I called the number and was told by the agent that it was worth $50/incident.

He asked me my current location and the location where I needed a tow. The place I needed a tow was about 5 miles away. When I asked if the cost of the tow would exceed my credit, he told me that it was under $50 and would be covered without any further work on my end.

The tow company took exactly an hour to get out to my location (they estimated a max of a hour) and didn't require a signature or my Plat card. Just took down the license plate.

So far so good.
This is good to know - I think I will rely on it now and cancel the other coverages.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Originally Posted by RobbyBobby
I have all of them, AAA used to have long distance towing (I think it was 200 miles) and I used it twice. I use AAA for hotel discounts and when I go abroad. A lot of European automotive clubs has reciprocal agreements and you can get free maps, and discounts on various things (hotel, museums, other attractions)
I'm in agreement here. I have an aging, but in good maintenance, Japanese sedan that is unlikely (touch wood) to break down. I've thought on and off of canceling AAA in favor of AmEx RA.

But: AmEx RA does *not* get you instant discounts on an amazing array of things. AAA has an iPhone app that gives you pointers on lower gas prices, lower hotel costs, etc.

A recent 3-night stay at a major Hilton location earned me $45 off the stay, paying for my AAA membership.

I actually plan to keep my AAA membership and have AmEx RA as fallback.

Side question: could you 'double-dip' here? AAA pays for most of a service, AmEx picks up the rest? Probably not, but an interesting question.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:19 pm

Service in Manhattan? And with Amex Premier Gold?

Thinking of dropping AAA, for Amex Premier Gold's RA assist. Couldn't find info on following, so would be grateful if others hv info on:

1 - whether typical battery jumping / towing in Manhattan (5 miles, I guess?) would be under the Amex $50 cover? I've done a couple of times with AAA but don't know the cost, and AAA covered the cost entirely.

2 - above msgs dealt with Amex Plat. Does the Amex Premier Gold assist have the same quality?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:59 pm

Been considering dropping AAA for months for my PRG roadside assistance. I read plenty of conversation here and elsewhere regarding the pro's vs. con's.

As it turns out, one of our cars was dead on our driveway about two months ago. I called AAA & someone we here within 30 minutes towing it to a nearby shop.

Last week I was taking my son to school when a tire blew out. I was able to pull safely into the parking lot. A call to AAA had someone working on my car in 10 minutes (seriously, no joke). The tire was changed in less than 5 minutes in 5 degree weather which certainly would of been difficult for me.

Now I live in a major metro area, as populated as anywhere in the country so maybe there are more resources available but service like this will keep me a member. Of course, maybe AMEX has access to the same network of service in my area but I'm not sure so going to stick with what has worked for me so far Yes, the occasional hotel discounts also offset its cost, and it certainly isn't a financial burden on our family.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: SPG Gold
used Amex assistance first time yesterday. Tow truck came within 50 minutes, towed ~7 miles, no charge.

Question - how many times can we use this service? --unlimited?
Old May 15, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alik99

Question - how many times can we use this service?
answering my own questions:

Coverage is provided for 1 service only every 7 days.
Limit of 4 services per calendar year.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by GraceC
Does the Amex Premier Gold assist have the same quality?
Bump. Anyone know?

Last edited by SuperKirby; Aug 7, 2013 at 1:56 pm Reason: ETA
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Is AMEX RS linked with authorized tows on NYC area hwys?

In the NYC area, the parkways and expressways are under "contract tow" = a tow can be done only by an authorized towing company.
I recently needed a tow on the Northern State Pkwy, the licensed tow got my car off the Pkwy and then the Toyota Tow got me to the nearest Toyota dealership (this tow was free, based on my 2 year new car purchase "deal"), I had to pay the Pkwy tow separately.
I doubt that AMEX (nor AAA) are linked with authorized towing on these hwys.
It (seems) that having towing coverage with your insurance company would cover such situations.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA & AMEX MRFirst
Used AMEX Plat roadside assist 2 weeks ago in MD after getting rear-ended. Took about 45 minutes for the truck to arrive (fine) and the price was right paying the extra $$ to go a bit further to bring my SUV to the dealer for repairs. AMEX paid for the first (I think) 10 miles and then beyond that it was 3.50/mile. In 96-degree heat, that was fine by me.

I've used AMEX RA a few times w/no problems. Very handy.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: LH, DL/NW, US, HHon, SPG
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Bump. Anyone know?
I've had the regular gold card since 1974 and used their roadside assistance numerous times -- as recently as 2 weeks ago. Service has always been prompt, courteous and (mostly) free-of-charge.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by SeoulMan
I've had the regular gold card since 1974 and used their roadside assistance numerous times -- as recently as 2 weeks ago. Service has always been prompt, courteous and (mostly) free-of-charge.
Do they enforce the 50 miles from home part?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
Do they enforce the 50 miles from home part?
What 50 miles from home part? I've used it two miles from home. Can you point to a reference?

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Sep 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:53 am

I had to use Amex's service twice in the last 12 months for a tow (two different states) and I couldn't have been happier. In both cases the tow was free and they put me with quality partners. The thing I liked the most is that the very first thing they did was assure me that if I felt my safety was in question they would address that first.

Very pleased with the service.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:00 am

Do you need to have the Amex card with you when calling for roadside assistance? Or can Amex just look up your info when you call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.