Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Card with Gas, Dining and Groceries Points Bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Card with Gas, Dining and Groceries Points Bonus?

All,

I am looking to see if there is a card out there that gives 2x plus points on gas, dining out and groceries all on one (excluding cards that only give cash back)? The regular MB card (which I think does not get enough props) looks pretty good with 3x on gas and 2x on dining but no groceries. Similarly the PRG has 3x on airfare, 2x on gas and groceries but nothing on dining.

What I am considering doing is opening both a PRG and CSP to get all travel, dining, groceries and gas purchases on at least 2x and to spread out the points a bit between UR/MR which covers the majority of our spending (we also have an Ink Bold for the 5x bonuses) but am wondering if there is some "mystical" card out there that has it all

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
There is a practical limit to the value of rewards a credit card company can offer. This is why savvy consumers with good credit carry multiple credit cards, each used for a specific purpose.

In our case, by far the best grocery reward card is AMEX Blue Cash.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diver858
There is a practical limit to the value of rewards a credit card company can offer. This is why savvy consumers with good credit carry multiple credit cards, each used for a specific purpose.

Can you convert AMEX Blue Cash rewards to MR (like on some Chase cards) or no?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mojo2121
Can you convert AMEX Blue Cash rewards to MR
No.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by diver858

+1. Credit card companies are no different from other businesses. They would never make a credit card that has bonus categories on all gas/groceries/dining/travel, etc. It may come close to make u want it, but no such thing as the "perfect" card. Why do that when they can separate them to different cards and force customers to have multiple credit cards?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Hilton honors Amex and Hilton honors surpass Amex
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
+1. Credit card companies are no different from other businesses. They would never make a credit card that has bonus categories on all gas/groceries/dining/travel, etc. It may come close to make u want it, but no such thing as the "perfect" card. Why do that when they can separate them to different cards and force customers to have multiple credit cards?
Never say never... The Chase MileagePlus Select card did/does exactly that and is one I am unlikely to ever cancel. It is no longer available for new applicants. It gives 3x for United purchases, 2x for Gas, Groceries, Dining, and Home Improvement, 1x for everything else. And if that wasn't enough it gives PQMs (toward United status) of up to 5,000 spent on United purchases AND 5,000 miles on renewal on paying the $95 annual fee. Yes I LOVE this card. I am a bit surprised they have not offered it to new applicants for a while.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by G2244
Never say never... The Chase MileagePlus Select card did/does exactly that and is one I am unlikely to ever cancel. It is no longer available for new applicants. It gives 3x for United purchases, 2x for Gas, Groceries, Dining, and Home Improvement, 1x for everything else. And if that wasn't enough it gives PQMs (toward United status) of up to 5,000 spent on United purchases AND 5,000 miles on renewal on paying the $95 annual fee. Yes I LOVE this card. I am a bit surprised they have not offered it to new applicants for a while.
I'm jealous of you.

most lucrative cards like this have started disappearing.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by G2244
Hi I also have this card, do you know if they charge foreign transaction fee? and where can I find a detail card benefit?
thanks
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by darenhuang
Hi I also have this card, do you know if they charge foreign transaction fee? and where can I find a detail card benefit?
thanks
Yes, they do charge for foreign transactions. I am not sure what it is since use a different card when for that with no fees. You can see most of the benefits by looking at your account online. Click on "Show Rewards" link then on "See Rewards details." Interestingly it does not show 2x on Home Improvement but that still works on mine. Just give them a call about the foreign exchange fees.

Edit: Oh and I had even forgot about this but you also get 2x for Star Alliance purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.