Old May 3, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Applying for 2 or more AMEX cards on the same day.

Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:44 pm

Just wanted to share my experience after looking to this forum for info beforehand.

I just applied for a Premier Rewards Gold card (50k bonus), and then a Platinum card (100k bonus) about 20 minutes later. Technically it was the next day, a bit past midnight. Both got approved instantly.^

Last edited by JayWLambert; Jul 3, 2015 at 12:54 pm
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:00 am

Can I apply for the SPG and PRG cards on the same day and combine the pulls?

One is a credit card and the other is a charge card. Is this possible?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:44 pm

Guys
I just applied for the Amex BUSINESS GOLD REWARDS CARD a few mins ago (75k targeted offer). I'm wondering if I can also apply for the 50k personal gold card (already got the bonus in 2012). If I won't get the bonus, any other card that's worthy?

Thx
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:15 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sam007
... apply for the 50k personal gold card (already got the bonus in 2012). If I won't get the bonus,
You are not eligible for a bonus for any personal American Express card that you have held previously. We cannot recommend another card without knowing your history.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:47 pm

I've only had these cards in the past - amex gold, costco & cash rebate. I'm looking mainly for MR but if nothing available, I don't mind the cash back bonus cards as well

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:26 pm

It seems there is some conflicting data but any experts want to weigh in on applying for both the SPG personal and Biz cards on the same day? Is this a good idea or should I wait a few days? Any help will be appreciated.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: MR,SPG,UA,AS,AA
Additional data points...

Some additional data points to feed those who may be interested in AMEX applications, approval, credit inquiries, airlines bonus, etc...

I currently have 8 AMEX accounts (4 Charge, 4 CC), have had 9 total, 8 of those opened since March 2015. I have provided below a chronological timeline of my relationship with AMEX for those wondering about approvals, inquiries, airline credits, etc...

Background: I had lived overseas for several years until late 2013 so had few CC's but credit history going back to 2000.

March '14: BCE - instant approval.
March '15: BCP - instant approval.
April 1 '15: Plat - instant approval.
April 24 '15: PRG - instant approval.
April 24 '15: Plat BUS- "call us", verified identity and approved same day. Inquiry w/ PRG merged.
May 09 '15: Everyday Pref - instant approval.
May 09 '15: Everyday - auto approved next day. Inquiry w/ EDP merged.
May 23 '15: BUS Gold Rewards - "call us", verified identity & approved same day.
Aug 19 '15: SPG Personal - Pending, AMEX left message to call the next day. Called and had reached my card limit, canx'd Everyday and approved on the phone.

That's 4 in 60 & 7 in 90 days, so it is possible to hit AMEX hard for those willing to gamble. I was usually smart enough to plan and app for 2@ a time, but did burn a couple extra hits by responding spontaneously... The latest SPG app seems to confirm what we already knew about a 4 CC limit w/ AMEX (despite what the rep told me on the phone when I called to canx ED prior to SPG app.)

I received all airline credit via United GR for Plat, Bus Plat, and PRG within 2-10 days.

What have I missed??? This site has been a phenomenal source of knowledge so hopefully somebody is able to use this info in their app/churn/MS process. Cheers!

Last edited by StrangeBrew; Sep 9, 2015 at 6:18 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: Brown medallion
I was approved for a personal platinum earlier today over the phone.

A few hours later, I applied for amex spg (applied online), also approved.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: OpenTable VIP!
Originally Posted by vholic
I was approved for a personal platinum earlier today over the phone.

A few hours later, I applied for amex spg (applied online), also approved.
Ditto. About a nine hour gap between the two apps; Plat phone and SPG online.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:02 am

Applying for 2 AMEX cards at the same time

Just a data point.

Applied PRG with 50k bonus online first, and then SPG biz with 30k bonus online about 10 mins later. Both came out instantly approved. Love Amex for not grilling one to get their cards...!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:04 pm

i applied for an amex SPG biz card and amex everyday card on the same day. both went pending. today, i was told that the everyday card is still pending but the SPG biz was rejected as i already have 6 cards with amex. i expected this and offered to close one of my business accounts to get the account opened, but the agents on the line (located in india) had no idea how to handle this. i have done this multiple times and had no problem but it seems whoever i speak to now in the new accounts department (in india) hasnt a clue how to do this and says i need to reapply.

i will also want to do this for my amex everyday application once i get the SPG approved. anyone have any recommendations for how i should go about this?

thank you
r
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:49 am

Is it Ok to apply for 3 Amex cards in one day?

I applied for 2 Amex cards today (Everyday and BC Everyday) and got approved for both after a call. I assume it will be only one hard pull?
Now I thought - maybe I can also apply for SPG Business card today and use the same hard pull? What do you think?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:22 am

Data point

I applied for two AMEX credit (not charge) cards on Monday. One was instantly approved and the other is still "in progress".

Customer service rep said if you apply for two cards in the same day, there is an automatic 3-5 day fraud prevention hold by the system that cannot be overridden. Not sure if that applies only to credit cards or if charge cards also have the same limitation. I suspect the former since others have posted approval of two charge cards and/or one charge and one credit in the same day.

Rep said when the hold expires, the application will then be processed. He didn't know if there would be another hard pull or if they would use the one from the initial application. Said that is determined solely by the automated system and could go either way.

The hold should expire today or tomorrow. Hoping for approval without another hard pull. We'll see.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:19 pm

I have applied for the ED and PRG cards on the same day (within an hour of each other) and both were instant approvals. I had an open BCE and they slashed the credit limit on that from 15K to 8K, but gave me 24K on the ED. The two applications neatly combined into a single HP on Experian.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:16 pm

Maybe it's different with two charge cards or one charge card and one credit card, but there was a 3-5 day hold on the second of my same day AMEX credit card applications. Rep said it was automatic and couldn't be overridden.

I was automatically approved with no further action after the hold expired, but it looks like AMEX did two hard pulls - 5 days apart. Believe they should have combined them.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get one of the hard pulls removed from my credit report? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.