Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: HA only

Old May 18, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: HA only

Old Jan 10, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by gold07
if anyone is wondering about the GC, the website won't let you use AMEX so I think its a no go on that.
if you don't have HA travel coming up, why not switch to AA and just get the gift cards?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
if you don't have HA travel coming up, why not switch to AA and just get the gift cards?
Thanks. I actually did that last night and switched over. My mom was heading to Hawaii and I was going to pay for her ticket via GC. Oh wells.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:39 am

Inexpensive inter-island flights reimbursed

As a data point, I booked 6 inter-island flights on the same day with my Plat Am Ex.

4 were above $100 each, but two were below (87 each) and those two were both reimbursed by Am Ex.

Hope that helps someone!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:53 pm

I apologize if there is a specific thread but I haven't been able to find it. I am curious if anyone has had success with gift certificate reimbursement from HA?

Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by chz2215
I apologize if there is a specific thread but I haven't been able to find it. I am curious if anyone has had success with gift certificate reimbursement from HA?

Thanks
I don't believe Amex is an accepted form of payment for HA gift certificates.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:02 pm

AMEX Platinum Airline Credit

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to use my airline credit to purchase either gift cards on Hawaiian. Anyone had any luck?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cbadklap; Jan 6, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:38 am

I am wondering about HA gift certificate reimbursement for the AMEX Platinum as well. I went to their website and they do accept AMEX as a payment option now. Anyone willing to be a guinea pig and try this out?
Old May 12, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Paying for HA booking with Gift Cards??

Originally Posted by scvrusher
I am wondering about HA gift certificate reimbursement for the AMEX Platinum as well. I went to their website and they do accept AMEX as a payment option now. Anyone willing to be a guinea pig and try this out?
The Hawaiian Airlines Gift Card T&Cs state they must be used online. I tried to make a booking and Gift Cards do not appear to be one of the choices for form of payment.

Old May 14, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Hawaiian Airlines Gift Cards CANNOT be purchased w ANY American Express (Pt or not)

Originally Posted by rj123456
The Hawaiian Airlines Gift Card T&Cs state they must be used online. I tried to make a booking and Gift Cards do not appear to be one of the choices for form of payment.

Never mind. There is a separate button below to enter Gift Certificates (up to 4). I was thrilled I would be able to get use the Amex Pt benefit for this, except as others have pointed out, I realized one cannot actually purchase HA GCs with Amex (nor e.g. with Discover, JCB etc). Only acceptable forms of payment are Visa & Mastercard (Credit or Debit)

Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:13 am

Hawaiian Airlines recently unveiled a new "Beta" website, and apparently on this website you can now purchase GCs with AMEX credit cards. I'm going to try this and will report back.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:34 pm

Hawaiian Airlines recently unveiled a new "Beta" website, and apparently on this website you can now purchase GCs with AMEX credit cards. I'm going to try this and will report back.
Hi, I was wondering if you've tried and had any luck with this? I am thinking of selecting HA as my airline of choice but unsure if they will reimburse for gift card purchases.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by spunkyt83
Hi, I was wondering if you've tried and had any luck with this? I am thinking of selecting HA as my airline of choice but unsure if they will reimburse for gift card purchases.
It didn't work. It's been about 20 days since the purchase with no credit, so I think it's unlikely at this point that anything is going to post. The purchase was coded as "HAWAIIAN GIFTS HAWAIHONOLULU HI" rather than to Hawaiian Airlines directly, so it doesn't look like gift cards count towards the credit.

My guess though is that airfare purchased directly with the airline still might count. I've seen reports on this thread that people were credited with inter-island flight purchases, I wouldn't be surprised if that worked on other routes as well.

Anyway, I'm glad I did this little experiment and was able to add this data point regardless. And now I also have a $200 excuse to go to Hawaii.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:25 am

It didn't work. It's been about 20 days since the purchase with no credit, so I think it's unlikely at this point that anything is going to post. The purchase was coded as "HAWAIIAN GIFTS HAWAIHONOLULU HI" rather than to Hawaiian Airlines directly, so it doesn't look like gift cards count towards the credit.

My guess though is that airfare purchased directly with the airline still might count. I've seen reports on this thread that people were credited with inter-island flight purchases, I wouldn't be surprised if that worked on other routes as well.

Anyway, I'm glad I did this little experiment and was able to add this data point regardless. And now I also have a $200 excuse to go to Hawaii.
Thanks for letting us know! And I agree, a $200 excuse to go to Hawaii is never a bad thing!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Has anyone tried to get the $50 inter-island upgrade fee for first class reimbursed?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: AS 75K
PRG posts HA reimbursement

Hey folks, this is my first time posting...

I purchased two $50 Hawaiian Airlines gift certs from their website using my PRG, with low expectations due to all of the information I read on this and other sites (after choosing Hawaiian as my airlines, of course). I figured I'd give it a shot, since I was booking and inter-island flight anyway and would use the gift cards regardless. Despite the transaction showing up as "Hawaiian Gifts HonoluluHawaii" as in previous posts, I was pleasantly surprised to see that today Amex reimbursed me for $100. I realize this is the Amex Platinum 200 credit thread, but I think that if it works for my PRG it probably works for the Amex Plat as well. I don't have the Plat, but if you do, it might be worth a shot if you've already chosen HA as your airlines. Hope this helps someone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.