Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Centurion, how to improve provider follow up and user experience?

Old Jul 13, 12, 10:27 am
jsq
Original Poster

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion

hello fellow amex fans,

not sure what to make of the following but perhaps some input from our flyertalk mates will garner the attention of amex, who can use your suggestions to improve their card recognition and user experience.

was recently walking the oakbrook mall in oakbrook illinois with the wife. we stumbled upon a tesla car store. selling the car, demo of the car, etc. we were a bit stunned that the salesman did not have a working model of the new s car on the floor, it was a sortof complete mockup with many working components. pretty neat car but not sure why taxpayer money had to fund it when the car company owner has his own cash - but that is another story. since this is the only store in the midwest you would think they would have a fully functional models ie plug in ports that work, door handles that work etc etc BEFORE they put it on display, ie wait a few more weeks. regarding amex centurion we received an offer a while back for centurion card holders from tesla to do something? with tesla. i could not remember the offer, probably an invite to come in for a test drive. anyway i could not remember what the offer was and since we just stumbled accross the store as we were doing unrelated shopping we asked what the centurion offer was or had been. than salesman did not know and did not know what a centurion or black amex card was. he was serious. so i asked if the manager could remember and the manager also had no clue either what the centurion card was or the offer.

tesla auto is being marketed as a competitor to lexus, mercedes, and bmw. yet their local sales staff does not have a clue about a product (the amex centurion) their firm actually had some kind of promotion with.

we had visited tesla hq and initial sales showroom in palo alto?? ca a few years back when they launched their first product. the new s car is a huge improvement in styling and comfort, probably technology also. i think they make a nice fit with amex.

a few weeks before i was talking to the night manager at the drake hotel in chicago, a truly great property, (we recommend the churchill suite) and i asked if their were any benefits for centurion card holders currently offered with their property. the night manager did not know what a centurion or black amex card was. while i do not recall any specific offers for this property, it would seem a manager at a major metropolitan high end property would at least have heard about a centurion.

i have seen other threads discussing a similiar problem with FHR reservations being problematic on arrival because the hotel/resort is not familiar with the centurion product.

since we only use the card for travel and occasional interesting promos sent our way, we are wondering if others are finding using the card for specific offers is a problem for other customers??

also, how can amex get providers who sign up to offer promos to remember what the promos are and honor them without a bunch of explaining by the cardholder?

all the best

Last edited by jsq; Jul 13, 12 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 13, 12, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Disc., HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC
Often times it seems like these offers for Centurion cardholders from companies like Tesla, are exclusively through the corporate offices, and have very little flow down to dealers. It doesn't come as much of a surprise that the employees and manager didn't know about the offer.

I don't believe the Drake in Chicago is currently under the FHR contract, so there most likely wouldn't be any additional benefits to Centurion cardholders unless a manager on the property felt that they needed to extend extra courtesy.

Just my $.02, and as always YMMV...

Search this Thread