Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express USA to begin issuing EMV "chipped" cards in late 2012

Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, AmxMR, SPG-Gold

Hmm, I am confused and here's why: I got my Chip card on Monday and I called Amex after activating it, asking where/how do I select my PIN and the CSR put me on hold for a few minutes then came back and said that my PIN will be mailed out separately and should receive it in a week. So this is not a Chip and PIN card?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by jbak_ft
Hmm, I am confused and here's why: I got my Chip card on Monday and I called Amex after activating it, asking where/how do I select my PIN and the CSR put me on hold for a few minutes then came back and said that my PIN will be mailed out separately and should receive it in a week. So this is not a Chip and PIN card?
The PIN would be for cash advances. The card is a Chip & Signature card. mia's post outlines the differences. Some people have reported being able to use their cash advance PIN successfully in unmanned kiosks that use online PIN verification, and the transaction has posted as a normal purchase. You can read kebosabi's post on another thread for more details. The transaction will usually fail if the kiosk uses offline PIN verification since a Chip & Signature card does not store the PIN on the chip itself.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Got mine today after I called in a few days ago as the old Plat card wasn't reliably swiping. The CSR offered a chip & sig card, I accepted, and the flyer linked to the FAQ here:

http://chipandsignature.americanexpress.com/
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Just called and requested my chip and sig card today. Looking forward to the ease of use. I'll try and remember to post some results after a few uses.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Assuming your chip and signature cards are the same as a disabled person's chip and signature card that is issued in the UK, on any automated machine it will fall back to PIN authentication and ask for the cash advance one (My grandmother has one).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
You can read kebosabi's post on another thread for more details.
Great post. It answers the big question I had: what if the retailer is stuck on requiring a PIN? Apparently, this won't be a problem. Even if the retailer has an "EMV-only" policy (even if they're not supposed to - that's a separate issue), the machines are programmed to print out a signature slip if the the card is Chip & Signature without the operator having to do anything.

As a side note, does anyone know if on Chip & PIN cards, can the purchase PIN be different from the cash advance PIN? If not, then this opens an additional gaping hole in security that potentially far exceeds what is fixed with EMV.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
Great post. It answers the big question I had: what if the retailer is stuck on requiring a PIN? Apparently, this won't be a problem. Even if the retailer has an "EMV-only" policy (even if they're not supposed to - that's a separate issue), the machines are programmed to print out a signature slip if the the card is Chip & Signature without the operator having to do anything.

As a side note, does anyone know if on Chip & PIN cards, can the purchase PIN be different from the cash advance PIN? If not, then this opens an additional gaping hole in security that potentially far exceeds what is fixed with EMV.
Chip and Pin cards have one PIN for both POS and ATM transactions.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I received my new EMV-enabled Platinum, but noticed the magnetic stripe no longer is a hologram with AmEx logos on it, but just a simple silver stripe. I thought the holographic Amex stripe was a security feature?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jmr50
I received my new EMV-enabled Platinum, but noticed the magnetic stripe no longer is a hologram with AmEx logos on it, but just a simple silver stripe. I thought the holographic Amex stripe was a security feature?
Newer cards don't have it. It had a habit of being scratched up and damaged easily.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Newer cards don't have it. It had a habit of being scratched up and damaged easily.
+1. I got a new mag Platinum last Feb and it just had the silver stripe. I was surprised since my old Blue had the hologram, but it was completely beat up. Got a new Blue a couple months ago (just due to regular expiration), and it also had the silver stripe.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:08 pm

I don't have a Platinum right now; decided it was too expensive for what I need. But I did get a Chase British Airways chip & signature card last March, and I love it. It worked great in the UK. Plus there are no currency conversion charges either.

Most likely we'll all be using the chip & pin though, eventually. It's just a more secure card, harder for crooks to use without the pin.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:04 pm

Why no contactless?

Good to see AmEx crawling reluctantly towards the future here. I am really surprised that they continue to use signature and not the option of adding PIN.

Does anyone know when or if AmEx will add contactless (ie. PayWave) to their cards? I find this immensely useful and so frustrating that a card with a high annual fee won't offer it.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by senorgreg
Does anyone know when or if AmEx will add contactless (ie. PayWave) to their cards?
They've had for several years on some cards. My SPG Amex has it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Just wanted to add my findings to this post.

My brother is an additional Platinum cardholder on my account - AmEx experienced some type of glitch and let his current card expire without sending a new one. He called in and they overnighted him a new Platinum card - no EMV chip (card was received last Friday 12/1).

I read this thread and called AmEx on Saturday 12/2 to request the chip + signature card for my upcoming holiday in Europe. The agent did some checking with his supervisor and came back and informed me that they would be able to issue me an EMV card. Card arrived today via UPS

So, it seems that unless you specifically request it at this point, renewal/replacement cards aren't automatically issued with the chip.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:51 am

I can absolutely confirm "immaculate's" posting.. just requested a new card since my card was used in fraud activity. I did request for a chip & signature card, however, the agent sent me a new card without... called back and requested again, this time it was correct and I did receive it with the Chip..

Card looks a bit different as posted earlier in this thread...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.