Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express USA to begin issuing EMV "chipped" cards in late 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express USA to begin issuing EMV "chipped" cards in late 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Majuki
I called to request a card with an EMV chip today. I will post a picture when I receive it if someone else hasn't already. I checked online, and the request reason states "MAG TO CHIP AND SIGNATURE".

This will mean that the only non-EMV card in my possession will be my TrueEarnings Card. However, I only use the card as my Costco membership card, so having an EMV chipped version is of little value at this point.
Interesting you mentioned the True Earnings Card- was just talking about this a few days ago to an AMEX representative and how it would be nice to have Chip & Pin on the card. Also saw a Korean Samsung AMEX version today- looked pretty cool.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by beckoa
Interesting you mentioned the True Earnings Card- was just talking about this a few days ago to an AMEX representative and how it would be nice to have Chip & Pin on the card.
The reason I said it would be of little value at this point is because there is no value to using this card overseas. The 3% cash back for gas and 2% cash back for restaurants is for domestic purchases only. Furthermore, the card has a foreign transaction fee of 2.7%, which places you worse off than using the Platinum card without the fee. Since US merchants still do swipe and sign, there is no need at this point to have an EMV version of the TrueEarnings Card.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
Interesting about the reason moving from mag to chip. My status said it's worn and tipping. I will call Amex and make sure.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:31 am

Just called this morning and the CSR was so polite! Literally took 3-5 mins for the request. She rushed delivered it and will show up on the 28th via UPS. She did mention that because I requested my AMEX Plat to be chip and signature, in the future I would NOT be able to convert back to the former(magnetic strip).

**Currently available to only Plat and Cent members, but everyone will get one in 2013**
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by rmferrer
Just called this morning and the CSR was so polite! Literally took 3-5 mins for the request. She rushed delivered it and will show up on the 28th via UPS. She did mention that because I requested my AMEX Plat to be chip and signature, in the future I would NOT be able to convert back to the former(magnetic strip).

**Currently available to only Plat and Cent members, but everyone will get one in 2013**
"Everyone" as in which cards I wonder will get the EMV feature?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by alrvd83
"Everyone" as in which cards I wonder will get the EMV feature?
I believe AMEX plans on converting certain cards(or all) regardless if you request it or not. That's the impression I got from the convo I had with the CSR.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:46 am

So we're all getting new EMV Platinums next year, regardless of when our current ones expire?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by lmz00
So we're all getting new EMV Platinums next year, regardless of when our current ones expire?
Where did you get such info?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Just called and requested my plat, took about 2 min. New card will be overnighted monday and ill have it tuesday.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:37 pm

The documentation that comes with the card states that it is a replacement and gives no indication that it is an EMV card.

This lends credibility to the theory that Platinum cards issued from now on will be EMV.

Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:30 pm

New cards arrived today. Three seperate packages, what a waste of money.

Now if I can just get my Bank (USAA) to issue a Chip ATM cards. I keep asking and they keep telling me no. You would think with their large customer base in Europe and elsewhere, they would be issuing them.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by wesheltonj
New cards arrived today. Three seperate packages, what a waste of money.
3 separate packages? What other cards did you request to have changed to EMV? Are they all with AMEX? Supplemental cards?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:33 pm

My card came today,looks nice ...chip is silver color not gold, like in the video. The black frame in my emv card is darker than my new one month old plat.i Do wish it was made out of metal.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by rmferrer
3 separate packages? What other cards did you request to have changed to EMV? Are they all with AMEX? Supplemental cards?
My Card and 2 supplementals, each card in its own UPS 2 day service package.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eldy
The documentation that comes with the card states that it is a replacement and gives no indication that it is an EMV card.

This lends credibility to the theory that Platinum cards issued from now on will be EMV.
WOW you guys get tiny chips. My Uk gold card has a big round chip but it is contactless as well, maybe thats why.

Last edited by mia; Nov 27, 2012 at 7:51 am Reason: Please remove images from quoted posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.