Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

American Express (USA) online shopping portal gone? (fka Bonus Points Mall)

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:03 pm

So, another month, another set of mysterious 3x bonuses on my AmexPRG. This time:

12/12 Mark Paypal
12/07 Amazon.com
12/03 Tix, inc
11/29 Bestbuy.com
11/29 Mark Paypal
11/21 Fab.com, inc
11/20 Water and Power Cashier

The really interesting one here is that "Water and Power Cashier" is my local utility company! It was definitely an internet transaction. All the others were internet purchases. Also note that for bestbuy.com, I went via a shopping referral site AND received amex cashback, so this was in effect a triple dip!

Perhaps it is more interesting to look at what internet orders did NOT get 3x over the same period:

Multiple Amazon.com orders
12/15 Neiman Marcus online
12/12 Nuts.com online
12/08 Gogoair.com

I do not think any of these companies gave a 3x bonus through the old earn hub, but I might be wrong about NM.

So, looking back over the past three monthly statements, there is a fairly consistent story that many online purchases are getting 3x bonuses. On the other hand, not all internet purchases are getting the bonus, and in the case of Amazon the story is particularly inconsistent. Perhaps most intriguingly, all of my paypal payments, admittedly all to one recipient, and my one local utility bill, have also received the bonus. I still don't feel like I have a complete picture.

To me, it looks like they're trialling some sort of new system. Or maybe they're just handing out random 3x bonuses to keep us engaged and intrigued?

-Karl
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:09 pm

Oh, and another aspect to the story. I called up recently to cancel my card, knowing full well that I'd get forwarded to the reconsideration department. I took the opportunity to complain about and discuss the issue with the Earn Hub. There was no news, but the person I spoke with was apologetic and repeated the same story, that they were working on a replacement. I came away 17,500 membership rewards points richer, so all in all I consider it to have been a worthwhile phonecall.

If you are someone who uses your card a lot, this seems like a good way to register your concern about the situation. I don't recommend it to anyone who has only lightly used their card, though, as they may just say "okay, we're sorry to see you go".

Last edited by karlmitchell; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:09 pm Reason: Typo correction
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:26 pm

I think I've gotten to the bottom of why only some Amazon.com payments go through with 3x bonus. It appears to only apply to ones labelled "Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase" (through Amazon Mktplace Pmts) rather than "Merchandise & Supplies - Department Stores". I can also confirm that one of my paypal payments was to a different merchant on paypal, which would seem to be consistent with 3x Paypal across the board!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:26 pm

Its baffling that Amex still hasn't issued an official statement on this.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Its baffling that Amex still hasn't issued an official statement on this.
Agreed. However, perhaps somewhat optimistically I'm going to suggest that they've been trialling something completely new since October: 3x bonus for internet purchases. Clearly it's all pretty inconsistent at the moment, and if this were an official trial they'd most likely be deluged by feedback, complaints, etc. There is no way that they are unaware of these strange 3x bonuses they hand out after almost three months of it. I suspect we'll know the truth soon enough. Until then I'm starting to adapt my internet purchase spend as I learn more, and it's certainly increasing the utilization of my Amex PRG.

The main question I have is: "How are they paying for this?". Clearly 3x on all internet purchases would be a huge value increase, but, without getting referral bonuses, I do not see it as financially sustainable. The presence of 3x bonuses on paypal payments and my local utility bill suggests that they have not made deals with these companies. Perhaps they represent some sort of teething troubles?

So, maybe it's better for us that no official statement is made? Just keep looking for patterns and trying to double dip, using Amex PRG + a shopping portal for the bonuses.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:13 pm

I think the surprising thing for me is that I've been getting bonuses from some online merchants on BOTH my PRG card and my Hilton card. I can't imagine a new program that allows for an online bonus on ALL of their cards.

It has caused my significant other to do a double take on the Hilton statement since those are lumped in with the "Hilton Family Hotels" category - "When did you stay in a Hilton property!?"

To your point about a commission - isn't there a higher transaction fee for card not present transactions? Could that perhaps cover (some) of the associated cost? Combined with cutting out any middle man (such as other portals that are operated by Catera) or the cost of having to operate their own portal, could that be enough?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:19 pm

Maybe I misunderstood what you said. Are you getting MR points for purchases on your Hilton card?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:21 pm

No, I've had several online transactions from my Hilton card be categorized as "Hilton Family Hotels" earning 6 hilton points per dollar (rather than the usual 3).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:05 am

I just wanted to ask, can anyone confirm whether or not they've seen any other MR earning cards getting the mysterious 3x bonus? I've only read reports about prg, anyone use other MR cards for online purchases and confirm that they did or did not get anything?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by CrushD
I just wanted to ask, can anyone confirm whether or not they've seen any other MR earning cards getting the mysterious 3x bonus? I've only read reports about prg, anyone use other MR cards for online purchases and confirm that they did or did not get anything?
I have the US Plat card. I've been ordering online like crazy and have not seen a single MR bonus. Used to have a PRG too... thinking about re-opening one when we have more clarity.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA CK
I have the personal Platinum as well. No bonuses.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:32 pm

I had several purchases in November that posted 3x on my PRG from Amazon.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by balwx
I had several purchases in November that posted 3x on my PRG from Amazon.
All categorized as "Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase"? Sometimes they process as "Merchandise & Supplies - Department Stores" on Amazon, but none of those have given me 3x points.

-Karl
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
No, I've had several online transactions from my Hilton card be categorized as "Hilton Family Hotels" earning 6 hilton points per dollar (rather than the usual 3).
That's just plain weird. I guess that could support the "glitchy system" hypothesis.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by karlmitchell
All categorized as "Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase"? Sometimes they process as "Merchandise & Supplies - Department Stores" on Amazon, but none of those have given me 3x points.

-Karl
Just reviewed my Amazon activity from end of last year. Purchases classified as "Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase" received 3x.

The others which were "Merchandise & Supplies - Department Stores" did not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.