FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Is the SPG limit a soft limit? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1359427-spg-limit-soft-limit.html)

DC777Fan Jun 22, 12 1:24 pm

Is the SPG limit a soft limit?

I have the Plat and PRG. Approved on recon for SPG with 2k limit. My maximum previous exposure w/ Amex has been around $19k on the charge cards and have never missed a payment in 2.5-3 years on the charge cards. Average charges are probably ~$8k per month.

SPG Limit is 2k but it says "check your spending ability" just like the charge cards. I entered $2500 and it says approved. $4000 and it says could not be approved. Any idea the limit flexes with spending like on the charge cards?

tkyoshi Jun 22, 12 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 18802574)
I have the Plat and PRG. Approved on recon for SPG with 2k limit. My maximum previous exposure w/ Amex has been around $19k on the charge cards and have never missed a payment in 2.5-3 years on the charge cards. Average charges are probably ~$8k per month.

SPG Limit is 2k but it says "check your spending ability" just like the charge cards. I entered $2500 and it says approved. $4000 and it says could not be approved. Any idea the limit flexes with spending like on the charge cards?

No but card issuers can choose to approve charges over your limit. The SPG card has a $0 over limit penalty fee so you should be safe in that regard.

Centurion Jun 22, 12 2:01 pm

I have gone over limit. But on authorizations a few thousand but always been under by the time they hit statement.

onefasteuro Jun 22, 12 2:46 pm

it's probably a flex spend. IE if you go a tad over the limit it will let it through.

Often1 Jun 22, 12 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 18802574)

What did they say when you called to ask? I wouldn't rely on anything here. Could be that 1,000 people post saying they've never had a problem and SPG tagged your account. Who wants to be standing in East Gish at 3 AM hoping their card gets authorized?

DC777Fan Jun 22, 12 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18803277)
What did they say when you called to ask?

They said the limit is the limit as far as they know, but if the website says it will be approved, then the computer will approve it. They said continue to monitor that and check there before spending if I'm worried.

Also said account needs to be more than 2 months old to consider a CLI per "bank policy." I had my Ink Bold limit raised twice (5k to 7.5k and 7.5k to 12k) within the first 45 days of opening the card. Lately Chase is a lot more accommodating than Amex in the common sense dept.

Often1 Jun 22, 12 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 18803503)
They said the limit is the limit as far as they know, but if the website says it will be approved, then the computer will approve it. They said continue to monitor that and check there before spending if I'm worried.

Also said account needs to be more than 2 months old to consider a CLI per "bank policy." I had my Ink Bold limit raised twice (5k to 7.5k and 7.5k to 12k) within the first 45 days of opening the card. Lately Chase is a lot more accommodating than Amex in the common sense dept.

Well - It's helpful to post that kind of information in the first place. I would go with what Amex told you. Basically, doesn't sound as though you will get an increase or that a charge which puts you over the limit will actually be approved.