Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex just froze, then canceled all my accounts.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
I am hopeful for you. They did something similar to me once, I was resentful about it but I do like their program and when they are not pulling crap like this it is all good.

It all worked out with the tax papers sent in and the explanation that I was buying things for work and rather than use the company cc> I was using mine to get the points. I still do today to the tune of over 1 mil a year. It is a great thing and has paid for several vacations - hang in there.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Wells Fargo does not have ability to show In Process outgoing fund on the same day the fund is going out. You have to wait till next day or even a day later to see the posting. Very annoying.

On the other hand, BofA online does show In Process fund going out - real time no less.
Wells Fargo does, if you have their CEO Feature It has a real time notification about ACH/Direct Deposit alerts etc.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:44 am

I had a similar issue in the past when I had two checking accounts linked to my amex plat.
I was in the process of closing down one of the accounts but accidentally selected it when paying off the Amex (50k+ balance), of course the payment bounced. As soon as I noticed I made the payment from the correct account but they still kept trying 5 times to collect from the other account (resulting in $150 in overdraft fees). They then went ahead and froze my accounts (even after explaining that I simply selected the wrong account) and required a copy of my tax return before reinstating the account.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:25 am

Out of curiosity, in the instances where AMEX has attempted to collect from the same account several times, do any of you know how far apart in time these collection attempts occur? If I were a business trying to collect, I would wait 24 hrs between attempt one and attempt two - in anticipation of the fact that the account does not typically update that quickly.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Out of curiosity, in the instances where AMEX has attempted to collect from the same account several times, do any of you know how far apart in time these collection attempts occur? If I were a business trying to collect, I would wait 24 hrs between attempt one and attempt two - in anticipation of the fact that the account does not typically update that quickly.
I think they were once a day - however, even though I made the payment from the correct account on day 2, they couldn't stop the collection attempts from the other account, so I kept getting hit with overdrafts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CFFrost
They told me each attempt was done the following day. What really bugged me was that they never notified me that there was a problem. If i bounced a payment id rather they send me an email instantly informing me of the issue and letting me know what they were doing about it. That way I would have the chance to fix it right away rather then having it happen several more times and causing cancellation (or over draft fees)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:21 am

I do remember being told that once the payment "pull" was started it would try at least one more time automatically. Something else that needs to be corrected but I am sure some ACH expert will say it can not be done.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
I had the opposite experience with my business cent around 5 years ago in a similar situation to the OP. I selected the wrong account when paying online and bounced a $200K+ payment as a result...had someone call me up from AMEX the next day to inquire what was going on. I made payment on the spot from the correct account, no secondary attempt to collect from the first account was made.

...probably the process has changed since then for the worst. A simple phone call from CS could avoid these nightmare scenarios. I can see why they might want to FR since a bounced payment is a likely sign of financial instability more often than the "whops" I selected the wrong account. There are ways of doing a "soft FR" without the customers knowledge and only if that proves suspicious proceed to a full blown FR asking for assets & tax returns. They can look @ exposure on other cards via credit reports, home residence value vs mortgage debt, etc rather easily. "Reimbursed" charges have a funny way of looking like money laundering...probably why they asked to see the OP's taxes.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I had the opposite experience with my business cent around 5 years ago in a similar situation to the OP. I selected the wrong account when paying online and bounced a $200K+ payment as a result...had someone call me up from AMEX the next day to inquire what was going on. I made payment on the spot from the correct account, no secondary attempt to collect from the first account was made.

...probably the process has changed since then for the worst. A simple phone call from CS could avoid these nightmare scenarios. I can see why they might want to FR since a bounced payment is a likely sign of financial instability more often than the "whops" I selected the wrong account. There are ways of doing a "soft FR" without the customers knowledge and only if that proves suspicious proceed to a full blown FR asking for assets & tax returns. They can look @ exposure on other cards via credit reports, home residence value vs mortgage debt, etc rather easily. "Reimbursed" charges have a funny way of looking like money laundering...probably why they asked to see the OP's taxes.
Im guessing though that your card also has a much longer history of large charges then mine. My spending only spiked up over the past ~3 months. I can understand their caution, but going from 0 to Canceled in 2 days is a bit much
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sunriser
Wells Fargo does, if you have their CEO Feature It has a real time notification about ACH/Direct Deposit alerts etc.
ACH in or Fed Fund Wire In always show up real time but not the outgoing fund in the case of our low minimum monthly balance requirement account. It is $1K combined total across all linked products would avoid monthly fee - suits us fine as Wells Fargo is hardly our working account ever since it took over Wachovia. The services has deteriorated so much that we changed a recurring International Wire In to go to Chase account despite Chase account charges $15 while Wells Fargo is free (grandfathered from Wachovia but who knows for how long when most account benefits have term changed after the take over.)

Last edited by Happy; Jun 25, 2012 at 10:03 pm
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Update time. Got a call back from the FR department saying they have finished their review, and are re-activating all of my cards. My limit on my Delta Reserve card remains unchanged however they are placing a limit of 19.6k on my Plat (19.6? why not 20...seems like that would be easier...) Which works just fine for me, can pay it down quickly after any large charges.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Update time. Got a call back from the FR department saying they have finished their review, and are re-activating all of my cards. My limit on my Delta Reserve card remains unchanged however they are placing a limit of 19.6k on my Plat (19.6? why not 20...seems like that would be easier...) Which works just fine for me, can pay it down quickly after any large charges.
great to hear but I have a question, did they ever say exactly why they took the action in the first place ? Something had to prompt them to.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edgewood49
great to hear but I have a question, did they ever say exactly why they took the action in the first place ? Something had to prompt them to.
Yes, during the initial talk with the higher-ups after my email blasts they explained everything to me fully. A couple months ago we attempted to run a payment through Square, a large payment. Square froze it and demanded a insane amount of documentation to validate the charge (my tax docs, company tax docs, the people we were buying from's tax docs....) and then refunded the charge when we refused. Following that we made a couple purchases through paypal and i had changed the address on it so that the purchases would be shipped to our warehouse vs my home address. Because of this the account went from a verified business to 'unverified' and the sellers we were buying from refused to ship ~10k worth of stuff to unverified. So they then refunded the money and we just wire payed them.

Amex said that my account was first flagged due to a string a high $ returns. Then once it was 'under the microscope' they began to want justifications for my high spend, etc.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Give it about 12 months and you should revert to no pre-set limit as long as nothing weird happens with your account
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Give it about 12 months and you should revert to no pre-set limit as long as nothing weird happens with your account
Yea that's what im hoping. Sorta wishing I didn't cash out all my MR points when they first told me I was being canceled now lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.