Search

FHR rates competitive?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mia
FHR rates are typically about the same as the hotel's rack rates.
I am rather surprised to see our Moderator post this! It's not even close to being true! Not by a long shot. You may want to edit your post.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
It's not even close to being true!
Please post a more accurate response to Amex For Children Of Africa's question.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in, but what are prices like through FHR compared with sites like expedia. I heard prices were higher, so I am trying to figure out what value actually is there.
FHR prices go up and down, of course based on the market and how the hotel is booked for the dates you are looking for. Other factors may include a hotel marketing push to get more business. What all that means is that sometimes you can find FHR rates that are equal to rates on the hotel website and alternative sites, and sometimes you may find FHR to be more expensive. But when you add on the benefits you get from FHR, sometimes it equals out. Sometimes the value of the free breakfast for two more than compensates for the cheap rates you get on another website, plus whatever other FHR benefits you might get. In my experience FHR is usually way better than those websites when I calculate all the benefits I get. But not always.

The bottom line is do a little homework before you book. It shouldn't take very long as everything is on the web these days. And in all my years of booking FHR (more than a decade), I have never, ever seen FHR quoting rack rate unless the hotel itself is quoting rack rate across the board. And in the cases where the hotel is nearly sold out, there won't be any FHR availability anyways.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
To me, the sweet spot of FHR is a one-night, two-day stay. That is when the $100 food and beverage credit has the most value, and ditto for the guaranteed 4pm check-out and the possible noon check-in. Compare with a 4pm check-in and having to take your chances on getting the 11am check-out extended otherwise. Also, having the room until 4pm can make the free breakfast more leisurely and more of a real brunch, especially on a weekend. Finally, FHR will often lead to a real upgrade.

I recognize that many folks have some of the above via hotel loyalty programs, in which case the "added value" is less. Still, for one (or two nights), you can find some real benefits.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:36 pm

FHR rates usually aren't rack, at least not in the US. They usually correspond to the lowest flexible rates on the hotel's own website. This is often the same as the Expedia or other OTA rate when you specifically look for a flexible/non-prepaid/cancellable rate.

FHR sometimes doesn't have last room inventory in a particular category, so for example, the lowest FHR might be a $250/night "deluxe" room but the Hyatt website has the standard room available at $200. At that point, there's a premium for FHR unless you'd be willing to pay for the higher category room no matter what.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
To me, the sweet spot of FHR is a one-night, two-day stay. That is when the $100 food and beverage credit has the most value, and ditto for the guaranteed 4pm check-out and the possible noon check-in. Compare with a 4pm check-in and having to take your chances on getting the 11am check-out extended otherwise. Also, having the room until 4pm can make the free breakfast more leisurely and more of a real brunch, especially on a weekend. Finally, FHR will often lead to a real upgrade.
I did an FHR booking for precisely this reason earlier in the year. Wanted 3 nights but the hotel was too expensive. Settled for a 2 night stay but, with noon check-in and 4pm check-out, we effectively got almost the same amount of time as if we'd booked 3 nights and did a 2pm in / noon out.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Yes, FHR are generally at BAR (Best Available Rate), not rack rate - I find rack rate, apart from being quoted on the back of the hotel room door, seems to be mainly used as a yardstick to calculate the other rates.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:53 pm

Agree.

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries

I recognize that many folks have some of the above via hotel loyalty programs, in which case the "added value" is less. Still, for one (or two nights), you can find some real benefits.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:55 pm

On occasion FHR has specials just like Virtuoso and high end booking with 3rd or 4th night free etc.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:55 pm

I think FHR hits another sweet spot on the 3rd night free promos - those make a week-long vacation a solid value. But I do agree that the 1 night, or even 2 night stay, is where you get some really good value. We use FHR a lot when we go away for weekend trips, which coincidentally, are the most frequent kinds of trips we take.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:51 am

Personally I find it very variable, until recently I always got very good rates with the FHR even before taking into consideration any benefits with the one exception being the Maldives.

More recently their rates have been much more hit and miss -v- booking via other channels. I dont know if its coincidence of the different hotels we are looking at or if something has changed behind the scenes
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:33 am

Has anyone recently been able to "match" fhr rates? i just read through the whole thread and some fters a year or so back managed to match a lower rate showing up on the hotel site. anyone been able to do that recently?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
FHR rates are nothing to write home about anyway.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
With special promos (3rd or 4th night free) and included benefits, they can be a good deal. Not always of course, but sometimes.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
You have to include the free breakfast, the guaranteed 4pm checkout, and the chance of an upgrade - some properties are better than others at the upgrade.

I've stayed at hotels where breakfast for 2 is worth $120 per day (which is frankly outrageous, but Bora Bora is pricey) - $60 per day is more likely. I've stayed at another that lists 4pm checkout at a price of $125. There are reports of upgrades to rooms costing hundreds more than the room actually booked and paid for.

Even without the free nights that are often available, some hotels still make FHR very much worthwhile. Other hotels, not so much. The threads here can help you make your choice.

You must always look past the top-line prices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.