Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

**ADVICE** 70K Amex - LAX to OGG to HNL - Best Redemption Advice Needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Question **ADVICE** 70K Amex - LAX to OGG to HNL - Best Redemption Advice Needed

Hey Guy,
I need advice on getting my wife and I to Hawaii for our 1st year anniversary.

Info:
70k Amex points (might be 90k soon)
5k Delta peso
5k BA miles

Preferred Dates but flexiable:
Sept 1st Lax to Ogg
Sept 5th Ogg to Hnl
Sept 9th Hnl to Lax

I was thinking about a stop over award but I never booked that type of ticket so Im just unsure how to book and what airline allow it for my destination.

Please help with any advice
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:31 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold

Delta gives you a stop over in hnl if you fly to ogg
Also transfer 65000 am exp in delta so you will have 70000 good for two economy class ticket to Hawaii
Also you can transfer 20000 points to British air and use it for intra island awards
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:33 pm

You can use 25 ba on either Alaskan or AA to fly there. Fly into ogg and out of Hnl. The intra island flight is cheap. In my experience, there is a lot of availability to ogg, butnhnl can be dicey
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

BA will charge only 12,500 Avios for each nonstop one-way flight between LAX and Hawaii on AA, if you can find "MileSAAver" award availability at the aa.com website.

As far as I know, BA does not partner with any carrier that offers inter-island flights, so I'm not sure what to make of gotofly's suggestion about using BA Avios for inter-island (intra-Hawaii) flights.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Delta is giving 65k per passenger so 130k total for Lax - Hnl
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

BA is showing 25k per person but flight times are bad
Sept 1st Lax-Hnl earliest flight get to paradise at 9pm
Sept 9th Hnl-Lax earliest flight gets home at Midnight

No Ogg awards
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

United is showing 40k per person Lax-Ogg then Hnl-Lax great flight times (no intra flight included)
Or
Untied is showing 45k per person Lax-Ogg-Hnl-Lax great flight times

I just don't know if this us the best usage of my Amex pts

Last edited by bdelariva; Jun 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:25 pm

How are you going to get United miles with Amex?

Best combo to me looks like 40k or 50k on 9/1 on HA to OGG. It's 40k for the flight that arrives at 1030p and 50k for the flight that arrives at 5:32p. Night driving on Maui from the airport isn't for me, but to each his own. Transfers from Amex to HA can take a few hours so there is some risk.

Coming back you are not likely to do better than using 25k avios for the non stop on AA for two. I would grab that and be pretty happy.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Amex does not transfer to United, although it might be possible to transfer points to Air Canada and book on United as a Star Alliance partner.

Personally I would never fly on any airline that was "Untied."
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion | SPG Gold
Use them as BA miles to fly Alaska Airlines, they only require 25K R/T. We just used them for SAN-OGG it was great
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dl767captain
Use them as BA miles to fly Alaska Airlines, they only require 25K R/T. We just used them for SAN-OGG it was great
I'll look into this...I'm in So. Orange County...so SAN would work too
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:31 am

Without a doubt BA is the best redemption option from west coast to hnl,ogg,koa,Ito. Many cheap $$$ options for inter island flights, but if you can get some aa miles before your trip inter island flights on Hawaiian air through aa are only 5k each way. Book one way awards into Hawaii if using BA and you will only need a one way inter island flight.

Enjoy paradise.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:02 am

I do not see any savers on BA (AA flight) in sept before the 16th so you may have to look into different airport.

also for intra island, do yourself a favor and buy the ticket... really not worth the 5k miles.

BA miles transfer from amex is your best bet, use on AA or try AS for availability from different airports.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:48 am

Doesn't look like there is availability on AS. On the return, there is availability on the 8th or 10th from HNL to SAN, but not on the 9th. I still think the best combo available right now is HA outbound and AA using Avios returning. You're pretty close in. I don't think I would wait too much.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
Amex does not transfer to United, although it might be possible to transfer points to Air Canada and book on United as a Star Alliance partner.
Membership Rewards can transfer to AC, NH or SQ for travel on UA. I would compare the mileage and fees between Aeroplan (zone based) and ANA (distance based).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.