Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Revised terms for 2014:

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card and Centurion Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mia
I think that is the most straightforward interpretation, setting aside the special AA/US benefit discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...22-2014-a.html

SPECULATION: It might be that American Express will require selecting AA or US as the carrier for the primary benefit to be eligible for the additional benefit.
I don't think they mentioned that in the email they sent out. That would be a pretty big about face.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:02 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by greenythebeast
I don't think they mentioned that in the email they sent out.
No, but some posters report being told this by customer service. The CSR's could be confused, or [SPECULATION] it could be a limitation of American Express' IT system which was uncovered after the initial announcement.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:05 pm

Is a $200 Platinum Airfare Credit Rule Change coming?

When selecting my 2014 airline I noticed that Amex was allowing card members to update their airline selection twice with the additional time from 1/15/14 to 2/28/14. Any idea what this is about? My guess is that a new benefit or $200 airfare credit rule change may be coming. Perhaps to allow using the $200 dollars to pay for lounge memberships.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:49 am

I saw the same thing yesterday when I was changing my airline choice and buying a GC. You may be on to something.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:31 am

More details

In my confirmation message selecting an airline I also noted a change in scope of the program allowing annual memberships - I selected American for now. Now that I think about it, I'm thinking the allowance for the two options to change may have more to do with the US Airways and American merger than anything else since the impacts are supposed to be announced this week and the fact that Amex is already letting annual lounge memberships be reimbersed from the $200 airline money .

Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by lovethoselegs
In my confirmation message selecting an airline I also noted a change in scope of the program allowing annual memberships - I selected American for now. Now that I think about it, I'm thinking the allowance for the two options to change may have more to do with the US Airways and American merger than anything else since the impacts are supposed to be announced this week and the fact that Amex is already letting annual lounge memberships be reimbersed from the $200 airline money .

Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
Lounge memberships have always been reimbursable
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
won't be around to see it. plan on getting my $200 credit today and closing it before annual fee hits on my MB plat. losing American/US lounge is unacceptable
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mia's point is that the 2/28 extended deadline means they could make an official announcement requiring change in say mid feb. it gives them wiggle room, possibly for last minute decision-making.

if people have still been getting the additional credit, they may be continuing to make decisions on who gets it.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 9, 2014 at 6:48 pm
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:10 am

I used my 2013 benefit towards the end of December 2013 and was reimbursed on Jan 2nd 2014. Does this mean I still have my 2014 $200 benefit, or since the $200 was reimbursed in 2014, does that count as my 2014 benefit? Thanks
Old May 1, 2014, 12:31 pm

Smile How to get the $200 back? Help please!!

Hey there!! i recently (about a month ago) received my PLATINUM card. I recently traveled to rome and while in the business lounge in Rome (using the complimentary priority pass) i met this guy that tried to explain to me the whole deal with the GC and the $200 airline credit.

I am not a frequent flyer nor usually fly in any of the partner airlines which makes the $200 credit useless for me.

I am an Alitalia frequent flyer and El Al, but charges according to custom. rep are not reimbursable with those two airlines (just main american based airlines)

So for me getting a GC that i could maybe end up by using some day or re selling is the way to go for the $200 credit

So far ive read all sorts of reports of different airlines on how some people to get reimbursed some other do not...and i really dont want to take the risk.

can anyone advice me on SAFE- GUARANTEED way i can purchase (no matter which airline) CG and get reimbursed? PLEASE HELP ME AND GIVE ME SOME GUIDANCE on how to do it properly.

i would really appreciate you helping guys!

thank you!
Old May 1, 2014, 12:42 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by igal
......SAFE- GUARANTEED way i can purchase (no matter which airline) CG and get reimbursed? ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I have moved your question out of the American Airlines thread into this general thread discussing the reimbursement benefit.

There is no guarantee. The terms of the benefit specifically state that gift card purchases will not be reimbursed. The rule is poorly enforced. Most people report that their purchases are reimbursed, although some need to call customer service. Nonetheless, there is some risk with any airline.

If you intend to resell the gift cards you need to choose an airline which offers physical gift cards. You could also give them to someone as a gift.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Do I need to register my card with an airline, or can I just use my card to pay let's say $25 checked bagged fee with Delta, and then Amex locks Delta in as my airline of choice for $175 reimbursement for the rest of the year?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
nevermind, it was just a system error

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jul 28, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Do I need to register my card with an airline, or can I just use my card to pay let's say $25 checked bagged fee with Delta, and then Amex locks Delta in as my airline of choice for $175 reimbursement for the rest of the year?
Gotta register:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...=airlinechoice
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
Call American Express customer service and tell the representative you need to choose the airline for fee reimbursement. You can't do it after the fact.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.