Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex cancelled all my accounts without option for restoration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex cancelled all my accounts without option for restoration

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SteveT
I agree with you. A business needs to be fluid and have reserves to survive this climate. However, its not that easy for a business to be able to build reserves and ween it self from credit.

On a good note, banks are lending and catering more to businesses.
Depending on OP's company's size, $160K on a single CC may be a lot of money or not that much. But, CC issuers are much more careful these days and even solvent businesses may run into credit problems if they are too highly leveraged.

At a minimum, Amex may well reissue the card but cut the credit limit and suggest that OP use a business line of credit to pay down the credit limit on the card.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by larciel
Thank you for your comment. I believe high balance of my Plum card also came into play when deciding to close my accounts.
I do not have any negative record on my CR and my score is around 740-750 FICO. Not super but not too bad. I'll keep updates. Hopefully I hope they give me a second chance!
Anything north of 740 is just showing off ...you're fine on that front. How does you DNB rating look for your business (if it has one)?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
Hopefully someone at Amex will read this thread because I have had the frustration of clicking on the wrong account also and being told no way to cancel even after immediately making several calls. This was before they modified the system and you could only make one payment a day. I think I did a wire or something odd like that. People make mistakes and I think Amex should be a little forgiving.
I did the same thing once - I clicked the wrong bank account for payment and that account had nowhere near enough for the payment. When I called Amex, they were very helpful in setting up a new payment from the correct account, but they couldn't cancel the original payment - they told me that I should do a stop check with my bank, which I did and that worked fine. Amex also ended up charging me finance charges on the balance of the returned payment but they immediately removed it when I called and explained the situation and they saw that I had paid in full the following day.

It seems pretty odd to me being that this is the first time this happened with the OP that Amex jumped the gun and just shut everything down. I usually find them to be helpful with almost all issues I've had in the past and I agree with the suggestions to call the Executive number.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Dun and Bradstreet

Must have pulled a D&B on you and for whatever reason it did not look pretty to them.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
How did this call to the executive offices go? Did someone actually talk to you or were you laughed off the phone?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:08 pm

I'm curious as well. Please keep us updated..
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
OP, sorry to read about this. Any update?

Originally Posted by Centurion
I know a major bank that shut down a credit line of a friend who ran a very legitimate business that was highly leveraged. He went from private jets, a fleet of luxury vehicles to having no car and no home. It was like dominos watching everything fall down. I think it all could have been avoided if the bank game him time to find a new credit line. I am sure he likely broke a loan covenant but it was really sad.
So he lived large on credit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.