Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New language on Amex T&Cs [clarifies which cards disqualify from new account bonus]

New language on Amex T&Cs [clarifies which cards disqualify from new account bonus]

Old Jun 4, 12, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Just noticed this new language on the application page for a Platinum card.

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days."

This is new isn't it? I don't remember seeing it before.
Old Jun 4, 12, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
This is new and good or bad, depending on how Amex interprets/implements "had".
Old Jun 4, 12, 10:40 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Still not well written. They do not otherwise use the term "consumer" in their marketing, and we do not know for certain if it refers only to "personal" cards or also to "small business" (OPEN) card accounts.

Last edited by mia; Jun 4, 12 at 11:03 am
Old Jun 4, 12, 10:56 am
Original Poster

The old language of the T&C said first time card holders only for the bonus, but that was never enforced. I guess someone will need to be the guinea pig and see if this new language is enforced or not enforced.
Old Jun 4, 12, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
This new language sounds really confusing. On one hand, it seems like you cannot upgrade a product you have (from Gold to Platinum for example) and get a bonus. But then it makes it seem as though you can churn the card if it's been over 12 months since you had it. Very confusing...if anyone has additional data points pls add....
Old Jun 5, 12, 7:44 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by rionio77 View Post
... cannot upgrade a product you have (from Gold to Platinum for example) and get a bonus..
At American Express "upgrade" has a specific meaning, and you may receive a bonus if you are invited to upgrade a Gold card to a Platinum card, but it will not be the same bonus offered for "new" accounts. The only way to qualify for a "new" account charge card bonus is to close all of your existing charge cards and wait 3 - 12 months.
Old Jun 5, 12, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
At American Express "upgrade" has a specific meaning, and you may receive a bonus if you are invited to upgrade a Gold card to a Platinum card, but it will not be the same bonus offered for "new" accounts. The only way to qualify for a "new" account charge card bonus is to close all of your existing charge cards and wait 3 - 12 months.
What? I've kept some of my Amex charge cards open and churned the plat/PRG successfully with the new account bonus.
Old Jun 5, 12, 10:16 am
mia

Originally Posted by compddd View Post
What? I've kept some of my Amex charge cards open and churned the plat/PRG successfully with the new account bonus.
1. American Express practice frequently deviates from policy, and often in the customer's favor.

2. The Platinum Card offer quoted in post #1 would disqualify you from receiving a bonus if you had held a Platinum Card within the past year, or any other charge card with the past 90 day, but other offers have different terms. Also, see point 1.
Old Jan 8, 13, 4:28 am

Per this Post I am a bit confused:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18804488-post44.html

Calling AMEX they say 100% T&C are as I read them. Perhaps the above post only applies to business accounts.

Search this Thread