FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Best FF program to transfer AMEX Australia points to (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1352656-best-ff-program-transfer-amex-australia-points.html)

theausdoc Jun 3, 2012 5:00 am

Best FF program to transfer AMEX Australia points to

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice from all you experienced FTers out there.

I have around 700k AMEX points (AMEX Ascent). We would like to use the points to go from SYD to NY return in late 2012 in F/J on (not TG or MH, but other partners are OK). I have minimal points in KrisFlyer (30k or so) and QFF.

Which of the affliated FF schemes would I best transferring the points into, in terms of ease of redemption and best value points for F/J tix for someone who isn't high status in Star Alliance or OneWorld.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

redtop43 Jun 3, 2012 8:40 am

There is no uniform rule. You want to search the transfer partners and find the ticket you want, but do not transfer the points until you've found your award. The transfers are instant so as soon as you find your tickets, you can transfer the points.

There are award booking services which will (for a fee) find you the best tickets. I don't know the names of any offhand but if you search FT or Google you will find them. Rates range from about $50 to $125 per ticket, and they usually don't charge unless they find you an acceptable booking.

As a slight additional factor, transfers to USA airlines incur a fee of $6 per 10,000 points, with a max of $99 per transaction.

Flying Machine Jun 3, 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 18689342)
There is no uniform rule. You want to search the transfer partners and find the ticket you want, but do not transfer the points until you've found your award. The transfers are instant so as soon as you find your tickets, you can transfer the points.

There are award booking services which will (for a fee) find you the best tickets. I don't know the names of any offhand but if you search FT or Google you will find them. Rates range from about $50 to $125 per ticket, and they usually don't charge unless they find you an acceptable booking.

As a slight additional factor, transfers to USA airlines incur a fee of $6 per 10,000 points, with a max of $99 per transaction.

Didnt know there was a tranfer fee. Is this waived for Platinum or for all cards??

mia Jun 3, 2012 10:31 am

Moderator clarification

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 18689754)
Didnt know there was a tranfer fee. Is this waived for Platinum or for all cards??

redtop43's reply pertains to USA-issued cards, but your card is issued in Australia, and the details are different. I have edited the thread title to specify the nationality.