Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy

Originally Posted by vm81
I upgraded in May and met my requirements towards mid/late July. No bonus yet and have called them twice. They say 6-8 weeks and can see upgrade offer on my account but have no idea why points haven't posted. Last agent opened a ticket - not sure whats going on.
My agent also opened a ticket but then when I called back a week later, they didn't seem to have a clue about the previous ticket. So I feel like they just told that to me to shut me up lol. In my situation they couldn't see the upgrade offer so that's concerning.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by milesforhire
My agent also opened a ticket but then when I called back a week later, they didn't seem to have a clue about the previous ticket. So I feel like they just told that to me to shut me up lol. In my situation they couldn't see the upgrade offer so that's concerning.
Called today again, still no points, but CSR opened a case. Will follow up soon.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:18 am

Referred a friend last week for a Hilton card and points posted yesterday. Impressed with the quick turnaround and hopefully this is the new norm.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:42 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I referred a friend for the SPG Luxury card after having applied for my own only a few days before; the 20K bonus is already in my Marriott account even though I haven't received my first statement!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:25 am

I referred a friend but it doesn't seem to be detected. Didn't receive the email notifying he used my referral.
He was instantly approved.

Anyway to fix this?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
I happened to notice the Refer a Friend link was missing from the landing page on my AMEX account. When I finally found a way to get to the link from my account, it says "You are not eligible to access this referral offer at this time". I have probably referred maybe one person in the past year and have never done any "gaming the system", like referring to myself, etc.. Just wondering why they would take away the referral capabilities on my account? Anyone else have this happen? I hold 2 AMEX cards and have never closed an AMEX account or done any churning.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by rcmiller
I happened to notice the Refer a Friend link was missing from the landing page on my AMEX account. When I finally found a way to get to the link from my account, it says "You are not eligible to access this referral offer at this time". I have probably referred maybe one person in the past year and have never done any "gaming the system", like referring to myself, etc.. Just wondering why they would take away the referral capabilities on my account? Anyone else have this happen? I hold 2 AMEX cards and have never closed an AMEX account or done any churning.
Yes, the link disappeared from my Home page and I got the same "You are not eligible" message when I used a link found elsewhere. And then as randomly as it disappeared, the referral link reappeared. ^ I made two referrals, both friends applied. Let's see if they post.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:43 am

Can a referral offer (or public new card offer) be used to upgrade an existing card? For instance, I know someone who has a Delta Gold AMEX and would like to upgrade to Delta Platinum AMEX. Their current offer to upgrade from AMEX is 0 bonus points, so not really worth it right now. Obviously they could apply for a new card and get the referral offer bonus points, but they would prefer to keep their existing account if possible.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
New account offers do not apply to upgrades of existing card accounts.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I"ve seen some referral offers say that the referred person can apply for any card and the referrer will get the bonus. I've referred my wife and I cannot find a way for her to apply for a card that I did not refer for. Does it really work that way?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Damond, Amex
I have a question.

If my friend used my referral link to open a new Amex card in December 2019, and the referral bonus is posted to my account in January 2020,
in which calendar year is this bonus counted? 2019 or 2020? If 2019, I still can earn full max yearly bonus for 2020 by referring more friends.

Does anyone know?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I"ve seen some referral offers say that the referred person can apply for any card and the referrer will get the bonus. I've referred my wife and I cannot find a way for her to apply for a card that I did not refer for. Does it really work that way?
Most regular Amex cards can cross refer to other Amex cards -- I think some co-branded cards can only refer to co-branded cards

Open the referral link and near the top it'll show "View all Cards with a Referral Offer" then you can select "personal cards" or "business cards"
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by rcmiller
Out of the blue, the referral section (just below the account summary) on my AMEX landing reappeared a few days ago. I want to say it was 12,500 SM for referring my Delta card. I didn't make any referrals at the time, but today when I logged in the referral section is gone again. If i click "Refer a Friend" I still get the same message above "You are not eligible...". Seems rather random. I'm starting to wonder if it is some AMEX technology glitch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.