Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:14 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by avatarx
I didn't know the bonus points were on my monthly statement until I saw your post. I referred on 2/7/18 and the referral bonus shows up on March statement but not on Amex or Hilton website. I chatted with an online rep about a month after the referral to make sure my referral was registered on their system (didn't know the bonus showed up on my statement at that time). The rep saw my referral and said the bonus points would post in like 8-12 weeks.
The last Amex rep I spoke said that I would get the 25000 referral points with March statement but it never did. Now, Amex is saying they already transferred 25000 to Hilton in Feb (I see it on my February Amex Aspire statement but it never got transferred to Hilton), and Hilton rep is saying that they never got it and Amex has to resubmit. I'm going to call them again later today.

Last edited by avatarx; Apr 19, 2018 at 4:41 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
The last Amex rep I spoke said that I would get the 25000 referral points with March statement but it never did. Now, Amex is saying they already transferred 25000 to Hilton in Feb, and Hilton rep is saying they never got it. I'm going to call them again later today.
Thank you for the follow-up and for doing the legwork on this. Let us know if/how you get this resolved.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:38 pm

The last Amex rep I spoke said that I would get the 25000 referral points with March statement but it never did. Now, Amex is saying they already transferred 25000 to Hilton in Feb, and Hilton rep is saying they never got it. I'm going to call them again later today.
I spoke to another Amex rep this afternoon and he said I would see the 25,000 bonus points on my Hilton account within 72 hours. I'll update once I get it.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:45 am

Thanks for the updates on this. I’m in the same boat - I’ve had two HH referrals that have showed up on my Amex statements but I haven’t actually gotten the points. I’m hoping it’s just one of those things that actually takes 8-10 weeks for some reason, as opposed to having to fight about it to get it fixed. I’ll be watching here to see how it turns out for people. Please keep us updated! Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Thanks for the updates on this. I’m in the same boat - I’ve had two HH referrals that have showed up on my Amex statements but I haven’t actually gotten the points. I’m hoping it’s just one of those things that actually takes 8-10 weeks for some reason, as opposed to having to fight about it to get it fixed. I’ll be watching here to see how it turns out for people. Please keep us updated! Thanks!
I have exactly the same problem. The referrals were made early last fall. I started calling Amex in November. Back and forth between Amex and Hilton with many calls. Amex finally claims points sent to Hilton on February 4th and confirmation from Hilton received by them on the next day. Hilton says the points were never received. Interestingly, the Amex statement for the period ending February 2nd (a couple of days AFTER Amex claims to have sent the points) show the referral bonus points for that period. None ever showed-up in the Hilton account, though. Several weeks ago during a conference call with both Hilton and Amex, I thought it would finally be settled shortly thereafter. I didn't hear anything so called Hilton after 2 weeks. I was told that Hilton closed its investigation as the points were never sent by Amex. The Hilton Rep told me that Amex acknowledged the problem and said it is also a known problem and that Amex needs to fix it. I'm done referring anyone to Amex again. Even if I eventually receive these points, it's not worth the time spent trying to chase them down.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by merle123
I have exactly the same problem. The referrals were made early last fall. I started calling Amex in November. Back and forth between Amex and Hilton with many calls. Amex finally claims points sent to Hilton on February 4th and confirmation from Hilton received by them on the next day. Hilton says the points were never received. Interestingly, the Amex statement for the period ending February 2nd (a couple of days AFTER Amex claims to have sent the points) show the referral bonus points for that period. None ever showed-up in the Hilton account, though. Several weeks ago during a conference call with both Hilton and Amex, I thought it would finally be settled shortly thereafter. I didn't hear anything so called Hilton after 2 weeks. I was told that Hilton closed its investigation as the points were never sent by Amex. The Hilton Rep told me that Amex acknowledged the problem and said it is also a known problem and that Amex needs to fix it. I'm done referring anyone to Amex again. Even if I eventually receive these points, it's not worth the time spent trying to chase them down.
Ugh, that's exactly what I was afraid of. My referrals were from February and March, so I was hopeful that it just might take a little while longer to shake out naturally. But since it sounds like you have had the problem for at least 6 months, I don't have much hope of it solving itself. Looks like I'll have to start calling AMEX. Seems from this thread like the problems are definitely on the AMEX side rather than the Hilton side. FWIW, all my own direct bonuses from opening my own cards have posted without issue -- it's only the referral bonuses that don't show up in my Hilton account (despite showing on the AMEX statement).
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:38 pm

Referred two friends in mid-January, never received the bonus points though they were shown in Feb statement. Called amex and hilton and they said it is an known issue. Amex claimed they are issuing points again case by case. No estimated timeline. Ridiculous.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:54 pm

Angry

I spoke to another Amex rep this afternoon and he said I would see the 25,000 bonus points on my Hilton account within 72 hours. I'll update once I get it.
72 hours passed and no points were posted to my Hilton account. I contacted Amex online rep and he said he did not see any case/inquiry opened. He opened a new inquiry and told me to contact them after 2 weeks to check the status...
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:16 pm

72 hours passed and no points were posted to my Hilton account. I contacted Amex online rep and he said he did not see any case/inquiry opened. He opened a new inquiry and told me to contact them after 2 weeks to check the status...
Amex twitter team told me they would post points in July. So, 6 months from January.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:48 am

I did online chat with AMEX. Rep seemed good, but still insisted the points had been sent and that it's not an AMEX problem and must be a Hilton problem. She opened a case and gave me the reference number. I'll follow up in a few weeks, but I'm not hopeful of it being solved easily. 45k points at issue for me; 25k from Aspire referral and 20k from Ascend referral.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:42 am

I've referred the Flyertalk Hilton rep to this thread. They asked for some follow up information on my specific account which I just provided. Sounds like we all are approaching this from several different angles- maybe we'll get some movement towards a resolution.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Sorry if this isn't the right thread (mods feel free to move, if appropriate) or if this question has already been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it:

As an AMEX Platinum (personal) cardholder, am I able to get referral bonus for referring to an AMEX Platinum Business card?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
As an AMEX Platinum (personal) cardholder, am I able to get referral bonus for referring to an AMEX Platinum Business card?
No, in the USA you cannot offer a referral for a card that you do not hold.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
UPDATE - I called AMEX again today. Was placed on a "brief" hold for 20 minutes. Then, I was told that there is indeed a known problem and that I'm not the only one. Believe it or not, I was told that AMEX is working on the problem DAILY. So, even though the resources of the entire corporation are being brought to bear on this issue, there is no timetable for a resolution. I told the rep that my first call to AMEX as to this matter was on November 21st. Since there is no timetable, I inquired as to whether or not it might be another 6 months. He told me "no, it won't be anywhere near 6 months" and that I'll be notified just as soon as it is resolved. I told him to save this tape in case - just for fun - we want to listen to it in November.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

UPDATE - I called AMEX again today. Was placed on a "brief" hold for 20 minutes. Then, I was told that there is indeed a known problem and that I'm not the only one. Believe it or not, I was told that AMEX is working on the problem DAILY. So, even though the resources of the entire corporation are being brought to bear on this issue, there is no timetable for a resolution. I told the rep that my first call to AMEX as to this matter was on November 21st. Since there is no timetable, I inquired as to whether or not it might be another 6 months. He told me "no, it won't be anywhere near 6 months" and that I'll be notified just as soon as it is resolved. I told him to save this tape in case - just for fun - we want to listen to it in November.
Thank you for sharing your update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.