Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex US: Refer a friend & earn rewards? Experiences and problems.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by dascc
I never got credit for my HH referral. Had the Wife refer it to me.

is it possible that logging to apply vs completing a new app (as if you are new customer) makes a difference? IIRC I clicked the referral link and then logged into my amex account, which pre-filled the app info.
No. Hilton referrals are just not working, and American Express won't acknowledge it.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:15 pm

An update on this: I *finally* got the 30k points I've been waiting for. It's been over a month since I last contacted them, and I had given up. My last communication with them, they said I wasn't eligible for referrals, and even if I was, the people I referred didn't use my link.

So maybe they're retroactively fixing it for others, too. Check your Hilton accounts.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AOPA
Something about those HH referrals are not right, I'm still waiting for my points from surpass referrals from earlier this year. On investigation #4

Delta plat referrals posted within 5 days of approval.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:43 pm

Yeah, HH referrals have been broken for quite a while. But it looks like they may finally be on track for fixing them. I got my points, at least, and had given up on them.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:17 pm

While logged in to Amex, if I go to Benefits, the refer-a-friend program is listed there. I have used it to earn Delta SM points twice by providing the email addresses of two friends who were interested in the Delta card. I didn't need an email invitation; it's under the Benefits section when logged into my credit card accounts. It worked fine for me (and them) both times. The friends did have to apply through the link that was in the email that Amex sent to them.

If that procedure isn't followed, I don't think you can earn the bonus points. As someone said, they might give you some points as a goodwill gesture, but that's not the regular procedure for earning the bonus points. Good luck.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have consolidated several threads about the referral program into this single thread.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriot and SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by penner42
No. Hilton referrals are just not working, and American Express won't acknowledge it.
I have 5 cards with Amex and been referring for a while without a problem. First ever issue is with the Hilton Surpass. 1000% that my wife used the link i sent her (saw her click it and apply) and Amex Marketing team decided that it wasn't done properly and no bonus will be given.

See loads of complaints with regards to this. Any fix?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:52 am

Hilton HHonnor Bonus points not awarded after referral URL was used

Hi guys,

I referred three people to the Amex Surpass card more than three months ago (one of them was my wife, for which I personally stayed near her when she opened the referral URL and completed the application). The problem is that I got no referral points and the offer at the time was 25k Hilton HHonner points for any new referral that successfully applied for an account.

I contacted AMEX about this and I had to provide a lot of details about the cards that were opened (the CC number, name, date of application), so they can investigate, but almost 7 weeks have passed since then and I have not heard anything back. Interestingly enough, the same thing happened to the person who referred me and I know I used the personalized URL that I received in order to apply for the Surpass Card. the person also did not receive the bonus points under the presumption that Amex cannot see that I used the URL.

Did anything like that happened to you guys? anyone suggesting what my next steps should be? I definitely do not want to loose 75k Hilton points.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by Gin.Or.Juice
Did anything like that happened to you guys?.
I have moved your post into an existing thread discussing problems with referral bonuses. If you scroll back you will see that the Hilton cards, in particular, have been prone to failures.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Aspire Referral Bonus on Statement but not in HHonors account

So I referred someone for the Aspire card who used my link and was approved. The referral bonus shows on my statement as shown below, but the 25K is not reflected in my HHonors balance(both on amex and hhonors sides). When the first statement closed, I noticed that the 100K signup didn't post at the same time as my spend, but that was just a matter of a few hours different. This has been a couple of days. Should I give it a few more days to see if it goes through?

Also of note -they are giving points and category bonus for the airline fee charges that they reimbursed.

Last edited by Ripper3785; Mar 23, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:17 pm

It's pretty esay for Amex system not tracking referral and you are basically ....ed.
It happened to me 3 times now, and I opened up cases and did not manage to get the point.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Turntable-Evangelism
Thanks Everyone for all the advice, I want to use AMEX referrals and am now will be as cautious as I'm capable to ensure it works correct.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
So I referred someone for the Aspire card who used my link and was approved. The referral bonus shows on my statement as shown below, but the 25K is not reflected in my HHonors balance(both on amex and hhonors sides).
Same thing happened to me.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by avatarx
Same thing happened to me.
With the Aspire card and how long ago did it 'post'? Did you attempt to resolve in any way so far?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
With the Aspire card and how long ago did it 'post'? Did you attempt to resolve in any way so far?
I didn't know the bonus points were on my monthly statement until I saw your post. I referred on 2/7/18 and the referral bonus shows up on March statement but not on Amex or Hilton website. I chatted with an online rep about a month after the referral to make sure my referral was registered on their system (didn't know the bonus showed up on my statement at that time). The rep saw my referral and said the bonus points would post in like 8-12 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.