AMEX IDC Platinum tailor made insurance possible?

Old May 28, 12, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: My travel agent
AMEX IDC Platinum tailor made insurance possible?

In my case it would make much more sense to have a Gap cover than standard AMEX Platinum insurance when maximum trip is 120 days it has to start and and in my home country. However they give a free gap year insurance for someone under 26! So my theoretical question is it possible that they make a "tailor made" Platinum card when I can get the Gap year insurance and I don't care about what else or no way, should I forget it? It would be cool anyways.

On the other hand, when you have a basic AMEX card they upgrade you to a higher card in countries, but not with the IDC ever?
Old May 29, 12, 8:28 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
American Express is a mass market company. There is no possibility of a bespoke product for an individual cardholder.
Old May 29, 12, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
American Express is a mass market company. There is no possibility of a bespoke product for an individual cardholder.
Thanks MIA, perhaps you could update me with this as well:

Originally Posted by Wayfahrer View Post
On the other hand, when you have a basic AMEX card they upgrade you to a higher card in countries, but not with the IDC ever?

Last edited by Wayfahrer; May 29, 12 at 10:18 pm
Old Jun 3, 12, 7:39 am
Original Poster

OK, I try to explain it in another way. For example in the US when you have the Green card AMEX later will solicit you to get the Gold, Plat, etc.?

But it's not the case with the IDC, with the IDC you have to apply for each stage for yourself?
Old Jun 3, 12, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold
OK, I try to explain it in another way. For example in the US when you have the Green card AMEX later will solicit you to get the Gold, Plat, etc.?

But it's not the case with the IDC, with the IDC you have to apply for each stage for yourself?
Amex ICC do "invite" cardmembers to upgrade to higher fee products. I was offered an upgrade to Plat with half the annual fee for the first year.
Old Jun 3, 12, 11:36 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Similar experience. Converted a UK-issued credit card to IDC Green, invited to upgrade to Gold after a year. No subsequent invitation to upgrade to Platinum, perhaps because the card is lightly used or perhaps because they know that I have a USA-issued Platinum.
Old Jun 3, 12, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Gotcha!

Search this Thread