Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:11 pm

not the Aeroplan platinum but Amex Platinum will give you the black PP card where you can use it to access to over 600 airport lounges world wide, I have done it many times with a guest get in for free, I even went lounge hopping at some airports during my lay over just to check out different lounges.......However, this is only apply to the Canadian Amex Platinum not the US card. [Moderator edit]

Last edited by mia; Nov 15, 2012 at 5:01 am Reason: Referral
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: CX*GO, SPG Platinum
The PP that comes with US Plat cards also gives free access to PP lounges worldwide but excludes United Club lounges. It also doesn't come with free guest visit privileges.

http://www.prioritypass.com/select/select/index.cfm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
The US version comes a little cheaper, but surprisingly with the value of the benefits summed up, and taking account that I have airline status so do no incur ancilliary fees, I am actually much happier with the Canadian version of this card over its US counterpart. A rare finding since many products including the gold reward cards, and SPG cards have far less benefits in Canada than the U.S.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by markandrew
The US version comes a little cheaper, but surprisingly with the value of the benefits summed up, and taking account that I have airline status so do no incur ancilliary fees, I am actually much happier with the Canadian version of this card over its US counterpart. A rare finding since many products including the gold reward cards, and SPG cards have far less benefits in Canada than the U.S.
I agree. Despite the fee increase this year, taking all the new benefits into account, I find this to be not only the best card Amex Canada currently offers, but it is even superior to the American version.

Except for one thing: forex fees. That's the one feature I desperately wish Amex Canada would introduce for the Platinum Card. Fully 80% of all my spending is done overseas, and it kills me to have to use a no-forex Amazon Visa card or cash instead.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
Originally Posted by Vasco

Except for one thing: forex fees. That's the one feature I desperately wish Amex Canada would introduce for the Platinum Card. Fully 80% of all my spending is done overseas, and it kills me to have to use a no-forex Amazon Visa card or cash instead.
Amen.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:09 pm

I agree. Despite the fee increase this year, taking all the new benefits into account, I find this to be not only the best card Amex Canada currently offers, but it is even superior to the American version.

I'm in the exact same boat ......... The 2.5% forex savings + 1% cash back on the Amzn visa is too tall a hurdle for the Plat Amex for every foreign charge that does not have any other benefits for booking w/ AMex (e.g., rental cars, hotels, expensive products).

If AMex reduced or wiped out their forex, this would be the only card required anywhere Amex is taken
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:43 pm

Except for one thing: forex fees. That's the one feature I desperately wish Amex Canada would introduce for the Platinum Card.
Even just waiving forex fees for USD transactions would be really nice.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
Also once it's applied to a booking, it's gone for the year and if you decide to cancel the booking, you don't get the re-use the credit within the calendar year.
I wonder what this means. If I used the $200 on say a flight that I've since cancelled, but I have other trips coming up in the same year, will Amex pull back the $200 statement credit from me and not let me apply it to the next flight?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:28 am

$60,000 MR points

so far I have not seen any reply on the 60,000 referral bonus credit.

I have received the 50,000 MR points after purchasing the $1k, but after $3k of spending no bonus.

I call in and AMEX cannot provide any clear answer as to whether I will be credited.

did anyone have this problem?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by chocopop

I have received the 50,000 MR points after purchasing the $1k, but after $3k of spending no bonus.

I call in and AMEX cannot provide any clear answer as to whether I will be credited.

I've had issues with MR points not being credited properly and I find emailing them through your account to be very effective in resolving these issues. Save a sanpshot of the referral screen just incase and also advise them you have that snapshot. Normally between 3-5 days to resolve (my experience).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
I've had issues with MR points not being credited properly and I find emailing them through your account to be very effective in resolving these issues. Save a sanpshot of the referral screen just incase and also advise them you have that snapshot. Normally between 3-5 days to resolve (my experience).
I agree. Mailing them through the secure website is very effective at getting things resolved; much more so than phoning.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by chocopop

Same here. Do you have to wait for the full 3 months or should the extra 10K bonus points post after spending 3K?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by turbov6
Same here. Do you have to wait for the full 3 months or should the extra 10K bonus points post after spending 3K?
I got 50k upon hitting the 3k spend mark within a week of receiving the card. Called in asking where my extra 10k points are and got those within a couple of days after the rep did some recon work.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:16 am

Sometimes you have to give them a little more pressure. I was waiting for my extra MR (after $3k or something, can't remember, it was a while ago) and I was hoping to get them before the BA 50% bonus conversion ended, so I had to call them to inquire because I waited a week and there was no sign of my extra MR. The calling didn't help (called two or three times). Then I emailed through my online account, had to press on the issue (as they kept saying they didn't see anything about my bonus/extra MR) and send a screen shot before I finally received my extra MR. Wasn't very impressed, but yeah, just keep asking. (I went from politely asking to being angry, lol)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX/Marco Polo Gold
Renewal

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
If we can apply for a card at 399$ (before the fees increase) and have the 200$ credit it would be an excellent deal. However, not sure if it work like that...
I know this is quoting an older post but I thought I'd provide an update.

I caled to cancel my AMEX plat today (annual fee applicable starting tomorrow).

AMEX said because of my history with them they could offer me the card at the standard 399 annual rate. This would still entitle me to all the new benefits of the 699 rate card. (same card, less fee). I didn't expect this. I told them if I could get some MRs then we could talk. She offered me 10K, I said let's not cancel.

I figure I can use the new 200 travel credit and then I get the card for 99 bones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.