Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mabramovich
...The Priority Pass website seems to say US issued
If your card says Priority Pass Select it is excluded from all UA lounges. If it does not say "Select" it should be accepted. To my knowledge Canadian card issuers are not required to use the Select version.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If your card says Priority Pass Select it is excluded from all UA lounges. If it does not say "Select" it should be accepted. To my knowledge Canadian card issuers are not required to use the Select version.
I have no idea what it will say. The Amex website just says:

13. Priority Pass – Platinum Basic and Platinum Supplementary Cardmember(s) (“Cardmember”) may apply for a Priority Pass membership (“PP membership”). PP membership is subject to approval by Priority Pass Limited (“PPL”) and is not guaranteed. Unless cancelled, PP membership automatically renews on its anniversary date. PP membership may be cancelled by American Express if: (i) the Priority Pass benefit associated with the Platinum Card is changed or terminated, or (ii) the Cardmember’s Platinum Card is cancelled. PP membership includes access to any airport lounge participating in the Priority Pass Program. Participating lounges are owned and operated by independent third parties and their participation and/or facilities can change from time to time. To access a lounge, the Cardmember will need to show his/her valid Priority Pass card and an airline ticket for travel on the same day for the Cardmember and each of his/her guests. At their sole discretion, participating lounges may restrict entry of persons under 21 years old; please check restriction details for the individual lounges at www.prioritypass.com or your Priority Pass Directory provided by PPL. All Priority Pass lounge visits are complimentary for the enrolled Cardmember and one guest. All additional guests are subject to a fee of $27 US per person per visit. Lounge access charges can be billed by PPL to the Platinum Card connected to
the Cardmember’s PP membership upon PP’s receipt of notification from the lounge visited. All Cardmembers are subject to PPL’s terms and conditions for the Priority Pass Program and the individual lounge operators’ terms of use for the participating lounges visited. For complete PPL terms and conditions and a directory of participating lounge locations, please visit: www.prioritypass.com
I'm guessing that's a no...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:44 pm
mia

I have no idea what it will say.
Sorry, I thought you had the Priority Pass card in hand. The Select cards are unambiguously marked. In any event, I have not read that Canadian cardholders are receiving the Select version, you should be fine.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
My Canadian-issued version does not say Select. Though, for some unexplained reason, it does say "Dallas".
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:19 pm

The Canadian Platinum Card comes with the full, unrestricted version of Priority Pass.

In Newark, the Canadian card gives you access to the following lounges by showing the appropriate card (info is directly from the Canadian Amex Platinum website):

NEW YORK NJ NEWARK INTL (EWR)

Admirals Club » Terminal A American Airlines (Platinum Card / Marco Polo Gold)
United Club » Terminal A Priority Pass
Terraces » Terminal B Cathay Pacific (Marco Polo Gold)
Delta Sky Club » Terminal B Delta (Platinum Card)
United Club » Terminal C1 Priority Pass
United Club » Terminal C2/3 Priority Pass

Note, as I mentioned in an earlier post, that only the Canadian Platinum Card has the full, unrestricted Priority Pass. The Aeroplan Plus Platinum card, the Business Platinum Card and the Corporate Platinum Card all have a different version of Priority Pass at the moment than the ($699) Platinum Card.

Last edited by Vasco; Oct 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Vasco
Note, as I mentioned in an earlier post, that only the Canadian Platinum Card has the full, unrestricted Priority Pass.
You forgot to mention the Canadian Centurion Amex.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:04 pm

It doesn't seem like this card has the no foreign exchange fee like the US version?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Coolers
It doesn't seem like this card has the no foreign exchange fee like the US version?
AFAIK the only card in Canada with no forex fees is the Hilton Visa. Sadly.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
AFAIK the only card in Canada with no forex fees is the Hilton Visa. Sadly.
Do you mean the Chase MarriottVisa Premier? This is forex free plus I believe the Chase Amazon is. Marriott is a pretty good card to keep around. Decent sign up of 30k or 50k per if targeted, free night, free night annually , and first year free. If this stays the only decent forex free card, I'll be keeping it, free night covers the annual fee. Accumulation in general spend in Canada is weak however, 1MR per $ which values about half of an SPG. 2 per $ on select spending and 5 per $ at Marriotts.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:30 am
mia

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
AFAIK the only card in Canada with no forex fees is ...
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...tion-fees.html
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I stand multiple-corrected. Should've just said "the Platinum isn't forex fee-free"
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I'm confused -- does one get lounge access in Newark with the Plat? The Priority Pass website seems to say US issued Platinum cards can no longer get into the United Clubs, but is that the case for the Canadian card?
Canadian cards are obviously not US issued.

We got in United Club at NRT, no fee.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
So I self-referred for the Canadian Platinum Amex, hoping to get the 60k MR bonus after 3k spend. Put a 5k purchase on the card Sunday and the points for the purchase posted this morning, but I don't see the 60k bonus. Should the bonus have come through by now or is there usually a delay on the bonus. Last time I got the business gold the bonus was built into the MR points earned for the purchase that pushed me over the 3k mark.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by Reid
So I self-referred for the Canadian Platinum Amex, hoping to get the 60k MR bonus after 3k spend. Put a 5k purchase on the card Sunday and the points for the purchase posted this morning, but I don't see the 60k bonus. Should the bonus have come through by now or is there usually a delay on the bonus. Last time I got the business gold the bonus was built into the MR points earned for the purchase that pushed me over the 3k mark.
I signed up for the Canadian Platinum Amex via the 60K referral offer. 50K bonus points posted on the first statement date. (Points for the actual transactions posted earlier). I'm guessing the remaining 10K will post once I reach a total of $3K spend within the 3 months.

The $200 Amex travel credit is per calendar year. So anyone who has recently signed up for this card may want to use the 2012 credit soon as you will get another $200 credit to use in the 2013 calendar year.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
I signed up for the Canadian Platinum Amex via the 60K referral offer. 50K bonus points posted on the first statement date. (Points for the actual transactions posted earlier). I'm guessing the remaining 10K will post once I reach a total of $3K spend within the 3 months.

The $200 Amex travel credit is per calendar year. So anyone who has recently signed up for this card may want to use the 2012 credit soon as you will get another $200 credit to use in the 2013 calendar year.
My mom appears to have gotten 50K after a 1K spend, so I'm guessing we (me) will have to fight for the last 10K once she spends 3K.

I'm really wondering how the credit works -- can we use it during AC Portermatches (where you have to book at aircanada.com)? Can one pay now for travel into the next year? Can we use it for the Wyndham promos ($60/night and have to book through some link and/or email)? Or can it only be used on a GDS available airfare in 2012?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.