Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I think Priority Pass card is simply an entry card, where actual payment is linked to your AMEX (eg my AMEX Plat)... and AMEX just waive/cancel all PP charges for you??
No. Lounge visit is billed to your AMEX card by Priority Pass, based on PP membership level. If it's the unlimited level, they don't send AMEX a bill.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by markandrew
You are misreferring. The screen asks you what card you hold, your referral bonus depends on your card level, so referral to any card (Plat, Plat biz, Gold, Gold Biz) from the Plat should all give 15,000.
I had screenshot showing it's 20K signup bonus, so let's hope that's true. I referred myself from PLAT to apply for new GOLD

Originally Posted by beep88
No. Lounge visit is billed to your AMEX card by Priority Pass, based on PP membership level. If it's the unlimited level, they don't send AMEX a bill.
That's good to know - having this PP card without AMEX will be very interesting if AMEX is slow or don't cancel the PP membership

Last edited by jerryhung; Sep 27, 2012 at 5:50 am
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Unhappy Priority pass charge

Does priority pass really charge $27 per guest when you go in with your platinum card? Seems a bit expensive since you just paid $700 for the card.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Yes, but if you follow the instructions, you would get 15,000 referring points and your friend would get 20,000 referred points. If you were using the system properly to refer a friend then you could tell Amex but for a self referral I would say be happy with the 30k!

I would add the screenshot but it doesn't tell me how. The greatest thing about Plat is 15k referrer points.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by markandrew
Yes, but if you follow the instructions, you would get 15,000 referring points and your friend would get 20,000 referred points. If you were using the system properly to refer a friend then you could tell Amex but for a self referral I would say be happy with the 30k!

I would add the screenshot but it doesn't tell me how. The greatest thing about Plat is 15k referrer points.
quite interesting now, thanks for the heads up

After I go "Refer a Friend"
If I click GOLD card directly, it says 10K referral + 20K signup

If I click some other card first (say PLAT) and "choose a different card", then it shows 15K referral + 20K signup instead

Funny inconsistent system

I'll be calling AMEX Platinum then, will post back
Old Sep 27, 2012, 5:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Hey jerry can you remove or resize that screenshot this thread looks weird on my iPad now. Hehe. Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhung
quite interesting now, thanks for the heads up

After I go "Refer a Friend"
If I click GOLD card directly, it says 10K referral + 20K signup

If I click some other card first (say PLAT) and "choose a different card", then it shows 15K referral + 20K signup instead

Funny inconsistent system

I'll be calling AMEX Platinum then, will post back
No it is not funny, because step one of the process asks you to select your card, it does not say which card do you wish to recommend. So you should click on Plat, it asks you if you want to refer your card ie. Plat and if not you can choose another card but you referral bonus stays the same.

Brave to call to ask to investigate a self referral which breaches T+C!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by jzdude
Does priority pass really charge $27 per guest when you go in with your platinum card? Seems a bit expensive since you just paid $700 for the card.
You get one guest, additional guests after that are $27.

Also, to say something about the other posts re: PP working after you deactivate the card, I'm betting AmEx has a deal with PP where you get unlimited visits, but rather than pay the full (would be discounted) fee AmEx pays PP per visitor at a discounted rate (so, rather than $200 up front, they pay $20 per visitor, which across all card holders would probably work out cheaper).
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by hoser2112
... re: PP working after you deactivate the card ...
I must say IMO using the benefits for a service you no longer pay for is a very bad idea.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by drwilliams
...using the benefits for a service you no longer pay for is a very bad idea.
Previous discussion, in context USA-issued cards, here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...cancelled.html
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:23 am

I asked for 5K MR and they'll grant me that, I'll check in a few days

And I was told by AMEX that I'll renew at $699 price (I signed up Oct 2011)
I'll call in about retention/cancellation next week then
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
The Canadian Amex Platinum terms show:

6. Airport Club Program – The Platinum Card member must be travelling. Name on ticket must match name on The Platinum Card. (Ticket not required for US Airways® Clubs.) The Platinum Card member must be 18 years of age to enter the Airport Club Lounge without a parent or guardian for American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges. For Delta Sky Club™ lounges the member must be 18 where there is no self-service bar. The Platinum Card member must be 21 years of age to enter into all Airport Club Lounges where there is a self-service bar. Local age restrictions apply in non-U.S. locations. The Platinum Card member’s spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests. Code-share and affiliated lounge agreements may not apply. Employee travel-related benefit tickets are not eligible with American Airlines. The Platinum Card member must present his or her valid Card, government-issued I.D., and same day airline ticket to club agents. (Ticket not required for US Airways Clubs.) Complimentary access is specifically for the airport club that corresponds to the airline operating the flight (access pertains to the aircraft, not the flight number) except for US Airways Clubs, or with respect to American Airlines marketed code share flights with an American Airlines flight number which are also eligible for complimentary access to the lounge. Meeting rooms may be reserved for a nominal fee. Cardmembers must adhere to all house rules of participating clubs. Participating airlines and locations subject to change.
So how does this work, if I'm going to a US airways club, I can bring two guests. If I'm going to a priority pass lounge thats not a US airways club (say United), I'm restricted to one guest?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Reid
The Canadian Amex Platinum terms show:
That feature refers to the lounges which you enter by displaying the Platinum Card itself. It does not apply to lounges entered with Priority Pass.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
That feature refers to the lounges which you enter by displaying the Platinum Card itself. It does not apply to lounges entered with Priority Pass.
Yeah, lounge access with Canadian cards can be quite tricky because there are three distinct consumer "platinum cards" that offer three different lounge benefits.

• The Platinum Card ($699 annual fee): has 1) the "Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit", which gives access to Plaza Premium, Servisair and other lounges, 2) a full Priority Pass membership with unlimited free visits, 3) Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold, for oneworld flights, 4) AA, USAir and Delta lounge access similar to the US card, and 5) American Express lounges, found in EZE, MEX and other rare spots around the world.

• The Business Platinum Card ($399 annual fee): has the "Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit" and the same access to AA, USAir and Delta lounges as the personal Plat, but has only the lowest version of Priority Pass ($27/visit)

• The AeroplanPlus Platinum Card ($499 annual fee): has access to the Air Canada Maple Leaf lounges, and has the lowest version of Priority Pass like the Business Platinum.

It can be confusing to figure out exactly to what lounge someone has access, without knowing exactly what version of Platinum card they carry.

Last edited by Vasco; Sep 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:17 pm

I think I might get my dad to pull the trigger on this card. I have two questions that I'd very much appreciate an answer for

1. Can a Gold refer for the Plat? Both my mom and I have the Amex Gold/Aeroplat. I think normally you can refer within the same "family?"

2. Does the travel credit work on an annual basis? If I signed up tomorrow, would I get $200 now and then another $200 on January 1?

3. The travel credit is good for any airline, train, hotel, etc, right? Amex Plat Service doesn't really mark up the price? Although I suppose one can't use a coupon code for Air Canada or something if going through Amex Plat Service?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.