Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

WARNING Phishing Scams for American Express are very good

WARNING Phishing Scams for American Express are very good

Old May 24, 2012, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Exclamation WARNING Phishing Scams for American Express are very good

WARNING...I know most of you know to be careful but recently I have received several very good Amex Phishing emails so be careful. They contain the exact same Amex logo, etc. I have cut and pasted the email but the very real looking logo and format were lost in the copy paste but here it is.......

Dear Cardholder,

Thank you for providing us with an updated email address, [email protected]. Your email address may be used to send you important information about your account and exclusive offers.

Remember, you can always go to americanexpress.com/email to update your email address and other communications preferences.

Thank you for using your American Express Card.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Service

P.S. Now you can receive more of your Account Communications in electronic form. Enroll today at americanexpress.com/selectemail.

Privacy Statement Contact Customer Service Add Us to Your Address Book

Please do not reply to this e-mail. This customer service e-mail was sent to you by American Express. You may receive customer service e-mails even if you have unsubscribed from marketing e-mails from American Express.

2012 American Express Company. All rights reserved.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:19 am

important emails from amex (about account, payment, address change, request replacement card, email change etc.) will always address you by name and last name.

No email from amex starts with "Dear Cardholder".

Marketing emails from amex (Platinum access benefits etc) will not address you at all.

I asked for a replacement card for my worn out charge card and got this email;

Just confirming your recent request
See your account Learn how to protect your Card
For your security:

Dear NAME LASTNAME,

We were recently asked to replace your American Express Card. While were in the process of sending your replacement Card, we wanted to make sure this request was made by you.

If you did ask for a new Card - or if youve already spoken with us about this matter - please feel free to delete this e-mail now.

If you did not make this request, please call the number on the back of your card or your billing statement today so we can ensure the safety of your account. For a list of phone numbers please click here.

The security of your account is our top priority.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Service
Old May 24, 2012, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
WARNING...I know most of you know to be careful but recently I have received several very good Amex Phishing emails so be careful. They contain the exact same Amex logo, etc. I have cut and pasted the email but the very real looking logo and format were lost in the copy paste but here it is.......
For all the non geeks out there, you can check the email header, which allows you to trace ips. Also, it is always important to check domain names as well because scammers will have domain names such as americanexpress.axp.biz but that is just a subdomain name, however, it looks legit to the regular consumer.

You can always do a reverse lookup on ip addresses and domain names.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
krpjr
Old May 24, 2012, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by krpjr
For all the non geeks out there, you can check the email header, which allows you to trace ips. Also, it is always important to check domain names as well because scammers will have domain names such as americanexpress.axp.biz but that is just a subdomain name, however, it looks legit to the regular consumer.

You can always do a reverse lookup on ip addresses and domain names.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
krpjr
email headers are easily spoofed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.