Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
... jump on right away?
No. It's only a good deal if you have a specific HHonors redemption planned and need the points. I you need HHonors points they can easily be earned at a much better rate by applying for and using the HHonors credit cards issued by American Express and Citibank. Think of the ability to transfer from Membership Rewards only as a way to top up your HHonors account if you are a little short of the amount required for an award stay.

...sign up for those partner programs, and then book through them to travel from US to Taiwan if they have that available
Yes, you should join all three programs. It doesn't matter where you live. Then, you should spend some time studying the terms and award charts for each program to figure out how many miles and what amount of co-payment they require for flights from the USA to Taiwan on United Airlines. Make sure you are looking at each program's "partner" reward chart, because the mileage requirements may be different than for their own flights. Understanding the co-payments is critical. The program may call these "fuel surcharges" or "carrier imposed fees", and on Flyertalk they are often referred to as "YQ".
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No. It's only a good deal if you have a specific HHonors redemption planned and need the points. I you need HHonors points they can easily be earned at a much better rate by applying for and using the HHonors credit cards issued by American Express and Citibank. Think of the ability to transfer from Membership Rewards only as a way to top up your HHonors account if you are a little short of the amount required for an award stay.

Yes, you should join all three programs. It doesn't matter where you live. Then, you should spend some time studying the terms and award charts for each program to figure out how many miles and what amount of co-payment they require for flights from the USA to Taiwan on United Airlines. Make sure you are looking at each program's "partner" reward chart, because the mileage requirements may be different than for their own flights. Understanding the co-payments is critical. The program may call these "fuel surcharges" or "carrier imposed fees", and on Flyertalk they are often referred to as "YQ".
thanks so much mia! I use the AMEX starwood as my main credit card, but have some MR points that I haven't used because redemptions seemed so poor...figured this way I can get Hilton as another hotel option since I didn't have other good ways to redeem the points....will look into the airlines more as well.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:49 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
t...have some MR points that I haven't used
How many points?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:57 pm

Hello everyone. I have been saving points for over ten years now and I have a fair amount to transfer. I've been saving and waiting for some kind of a bonus to an airline that I would frequently fly in the USA for domestic or international.

I saw the 35% bonus for Virgin Atlantic and I'm wondering if this is a good time to invest my points? I typically fly Delta but I'm not tied down to them and given I could fly so many airlines (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en.../airlines.html) through Virgin Atlantic, this seems like a good time to transfer?

I don't have any pressing trips which is why I've been sitting around for so long. It seems like if I were to transfer something like 100,000 membership points to receive 135,000 Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Miles, that I would be able to take 5 domestic flights with a lot of airlines, or even two international trips.

Since I'm okay waiting, should I see if a better deal comes around? Or is this a good opportunity to jump on with the points that have just been sitting there? Thanks so much!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:17 am

Cool Best use of points to travel to Asia

I have about 80K MR points and would like to use them toward travel to Asia (Thailand,Singapore). What is the best option for me? Also I am based out of DFW if that matters.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:14 pm

Might have to make a weekend flight from NYC to DCA at the end of this month. Would my best bet be to transfer 9,000 MR points to Avios +$11? Did some searching and I think that's the best redemption I can find.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Yes, Amex fCoA! It doesn't get any better than that, esp. because BA does not charge short-notice booking fees ^ !
Just for comparison, AAdvantage charges 25K miles (flat rate for flying domestically within USA) + that same $11.20 TSA tax +$75 if you don't have 21 days before your flight !
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:59 am

Membership rewards imminent transfer

Hello, I know there isn't a right answer here, but I need to transfer membership rewards, 80K. There seem to be three choices and I am trying to compare.

I am currently mostly in Europe.

British Airways by all intents is the best option, though the fuel surcharges on long-haul are prohibitive.

Right now, Virgin Atlantic has a 33% bonus, so that's great, but their destinations and partners seem limited. Overall they seem to have less miles and cheaper than BA.

Flying Blue. To fly out of Amsterdam or Paris. But i was told that the ratio is higher to transfer and redeem.

Any opinion between these? Does the 33% at the moment trump all else?

And once I get them to Virgin, can I trade them at a rate that won't lop off everything?

Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:54 am
mia

Originally Posted by Hopskipandjump
... I need to transfer membership rewards, 80K.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I have appended your question to the established thread on this topic. Why do you "need" to transfer the points? One of the best features of Membership Rewards is the ability to transfer instantly while in process of booking. No need to transfer in advance on speculation.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:22 am

Amex Member Rewards headaches...

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I have appended your question to the established thread on this topic. Why do you "need" to transfer the points? One of the best features of Membership Rewards is the ability to transfer instantly while in process of booking. No need to transfer in advance on speculation.
Hi, it's a situation that I either transfer or lose it. The fact is that it will cost $800.00 for the ability to do even this. So is it worth it at all? I know it depends what you do with them...

I'm based in Belgium, these days. That's why the Flying Blue was interesting. Flying to North America through KLM, and Africa via Air France. But 80K is not too much.

Is there flexibility to fly on American with BA without the fuel charges? And I have a few hundred AA, so is there a way to combine with BA?

Last, I thought of taking the VA for the extra points, but reading here and lots of places, though they seem to be less expensive and take less miles than BA, it seems availability with them and their partners is a problem.

But I thought that if I did get the 35% extra, I may be able to trade at some point with a ratio that would keep it at 80K or so per airline.

Any of this make sense to a pro?

Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:26 am
mia

Hi, it's a situation that I either transfer or lose it. The fact is that it will cost $800.00 for the ability to do even this.
In which country is your American Express card account issued?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
In which country is your American Express card account issued?
US.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:58 am
mia

...either transfer or lose it. The fact is that it will cost $800.00 for the ability to do even this.
1. You can apply for a free American Express Everyday card to preserve your Membership Rewards balance. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...day-cards.html

2. I cannot think of a situation in which it would cost $800 to transfer 80,000 points. Can you explain?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:24 pm

It's not a direct payment, it's more a correlate but it would "cost."

It seems that everybody is trying to get into One World with points, vis a vis BA, (Iberia or Cathay.) VA doesn't have a good reputation. And folks aren't too high on Flying Blue. What's your surmise on my choices? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:34 pm
mia

It's not a direct payment, it's more a correlate but it would "cost."
I am not sure what this means, but if you are buying points from someone who is closing an account be aware that they cannot transfer points to your frequent flyer accounts unless you hold a supplementary card on their American Express account. This is a recent change:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...otel-acct.html

You can redeem BA Avois for travel on AA domestic USA flights with very low fees (the same fees as would apply if redeeming AAdvantage miles, in most cases.) You can also redeem Avois for transatlantic flights operated by Air Berlin or Aer Lingus with low fees. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.