Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Your only other nonstop option would be United. You could transfer to NH, AC, or SQ to redeem for a UA flight. But CX would probably be a better experience.

Tons of other options if you're not limiting yourself to nonstop.
Originally Posted by taliesin
Avios will cost fewer MR points, but CX's own program, Asia Miles, is also an MR transfer partner, and they do at least theoretically make more award seats available to their own members. However, they also have even higher fees than BA and somewhat higher point redemption costs. Round-trip in J would be 140k Avios + about $150 vs 145k Asia Miles + maybe $500. So, not as good of a deal, but the expanded availability might be worth it.
Thanks for the response guys.

Checked out the points to fly with Cathay, the fuel surcharge with BA Avois and Asia miles made it not worth it.

Currently they are having a sale on Cathay website for non-stop round trip from Chicago to HK for $968 each.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
MR's for YVR - LAX

I will be starting to do regular Vancouver to LAX runs for the next few years. I was hoping to use MR's for some of the flights and pay for others.

What would be my best option for a reward ticket (excluding Rouge)? Is Alaska via Avios the same points and fees as United through Aeroplan? Does one have more availability than the other?

Also, are there any recommendations when purchasing flights?

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sean22mac
Is Alaska via Avios the same points and fees as United through Aeroplan?
Alaska YVR-LAX is 7,500 Avios one way in economy.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:11 pm

Is it possible to transfer US Amex MR points into someone else's KLM Flying Blue account?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by echino
Is it possible to transfer US Amex MR points into someone else's KLM Flying Blue account?
Only if that person is a supplementary cardholder on your account. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...otel-acct.html
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Originally Posted by echino
Alaska YVR-LAX is 7,500 Avios one way in economy.
I went on the Alaska site and it is 12,500 points one way. Do I need to go through Avios to do it for 7,500 ??
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Sean22mac
I went on the Alaska site and it is 12,500 points one way. Do I need to go through Avios to do it for 7,500 ??
Yes, different program, different points, even though same flight.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:57 pm

I just transferred 36,000 MR points into 18,000 Starpoints, and booked 5-night Four Points in Beijing for my parents, which made them so happy :-)
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:46 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Chenyy600
...transferred 36,000 MR points into 18,000 Starpoints...
Assume your American Express card account is issued in Canada, rather than the USA, where 36,000 Membership Rewards points would yield only 11,988 Starpoints?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Assume your American Express card account is issued in Canada, rather than the USA, where 36,000 Membership Rewards points would yield only 11,988 Starpoints?
Sorry, me just a newbie, so don't quite understand. Me based in Canada, but how is 11,988 Starpoints calculated?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:15 am
mia

...how is 11,988 Starpoints calculated?
In USA 1000 Membership Rewards points = 333 Starpoints. In Canada and the UK, 1000 Membership Rewards points = 500 Starpoints.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia
In USA 1000 Membership Rewards points = 333 Starpoints. In Canada and the UK, 1000 Membership Rewards points = 500 Starpoints.
OIC, so seems Canada's eventually got one thing better than the US in Credit Card category
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
OIC, so seems Canada's eventually got one thing better than the US in Credit Card category
Surprisingly yes.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:41 am

I'm in Toronto Canada and will most likely have accumulated between 200,000 - 250,000 Membership Rewards points by the end of the year.

Can anyone advise me on the best use of these points. I know of Aeroplan but I hear horror stories and am scared to transfer to their program.

http://www.thestar.com/business/pers...ard_shock.html

My home airport can be either Toronto, Buffalo or Detroit.

Am looking either for the best bang for my buck or the best trip I can possibly take. Don't really care as long as I can derive some benefit from the points I've worked very hard to collect (mostly spending, not bonus offer points).

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:49 am
mia

Originally Posted by Mbha
... the best trip I can possibly take.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. No one can tell you the best trip, because we don't know your interests or preferences. Are you content to fly in economy, or would you value the experience of flying in a premium cabin? What is your budget? (You cannot pay the full cost of any trip with miles or points, there are always expenses.) Would you travel alone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.