Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
You can't combine MR (to my knowledge, anyway). You can combine avios. If you want to pool the points, the best thing to do is transfer to avios. Another option is to take one of the new Amex Everyday cards that have no annual fee and allow you to maintain your MR balance.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: AA
I have around 120k AA MR and 100k Avios. I have a KUL-JFK flight that I'd like to redeem for in F if possible and so far it looks like I can best do this either entirely on Avios by transfering MR to Avios or using a mix of Avios + Aeroplan by transferring MR to Aeroplan.

My options seem to be:

1. KUL-JFK via HKG on CX on Avios for 90-125k miles + ~$200
2. JFK-KUL via TPE on Eva using Aeroplan for 77-105k miles + ~$50

Is there another option that I might have missed? Krisflyer is interesting but the neverending waitlist + $900 YQ is a turn off.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Here's a great transfer/redemption option: For 90k MR points & $300, fly Singapore Suites class, SIN-LAX. Schedule a long layover at Changi prior to the flight, and hang out at The Private Room in the SilverKris Lounge. 16 hours flight time; pick a middle suite and pray that the seat next to you stays empty. Then you'll be sleeping on the only double bed in the sky! It's a really wide bed, and about a $10k flight.

Last edited by Preacher7; Apr 15, 2014 at 9:39 am
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by gameover98
I have around 120k AA MR and 100k Avios. I have a KUL-JFK flight that I'd like to redeem for in F if possible and so far it looks like I can best do this either entirely on Avios by transfering MR to Avios or using a mix of Avios + Aeroplan by transferring MR to Aeroplan.

My options seem to be:

1. KUL-JFK via HKG on CX on Avios for 90-125k miles + ~$200
2. JFK-KUL via TPE on Eva using Aeroplan for 77-105k miles + ~$50

Is there another option that I might have missed? Krisflyer is interesting but the neverending waitlist + $900 YQ is a turn off.
I would check for availability on SQ (93.5k KF one-way in first), but it sounds like that isn't an option. It seems like you are talking about a RT, but I can't tell for sure. If that's right, though, I would do KUL-HKG in CX J, HKG-JFK in CX F, and then the return JFK-TPE-KUL in BR J (they don't have F). 125k Avios and 77.5k Aeroplan. The only other option you could afford would be both ways in CX J, 180k Avios.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by taliesin
I would check for availability on SQ (93.5k KF one-way in first), but it sounds like that isn't an option. It seems like you are talking about a RT, but I can't tell for sure. If that's right, though, I would do KUL-HKG in CX J, HKG-JFK in CX F, and then the return JFK-TPE-KUL in BR J (they don't have F). 125k Avios and 77.5k Aeroplan. The only other option you could afford would be both ways in CX J, 180k Avios.
I did look at SQ F via Krisflyer but the $400 YQ is a bit on the high side and most of the dates I want are waitlisted so that's a bit of a risk. I'll probably do it on my return leg where I have more options to fly out of either IAH or JFK or even LAX.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:24 pm

I'm looking to book SFO -> AMS (or anywhere else in northern Europe, really) for a 11-14 day trip sometime around Memorial Day week in May. I'm trying to be strategic with my vacation days, leaving before a weekend and coming back right after one - though this isn't a strict requirement.

I have about 40,000 Skymiles, 22,000 SPG points, and 50,000 MR points. I'd prefer a low-level coach award.

Delta seems out because the lowest I've found for my travel dates is around 95,000 + $100.

Is my only option Flying Blue? I can book a KLM flight for 50,000 + $230.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SansSerif
I'm looking to book SFO -> AMS (or anywhere else in northern Europe, really) for a 11-14 day trip sometime around Memorial Day week in May. I'm trying to be strategic with my vacation days, leaving before a weekend and coming back right after one - though this isn't a strict requirement.

I have about 40,000 Skymiles, 22,000 SPG points, and 50,000 MR points. I'd prefer a low-level coach award.

Delta seems out because the lowest I've found for my travel dates is around 95,000 + $100.

Is my only option Flying Blue? I can book a KLM flight for 50,000 + $230.

I have heard DL opens up inventory 21 days in for Biz class . Someone more knowledgeable chime in
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
I have heard DL opens up inventory 21 days in for Biz class . Someone more knowledgeable chime in
I'm not sure that anyone here knows the rhyme or reason to when DL adds or removes award inventory...

SansSerif, I assume you've already perused this thread on searching for partner awards using SkyMiles?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-thread-5.html

And this thread, while oriented around J awards, has search principles that also work for low-tier Y awards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html

I think you should try to find a low-level DL award first depending on how flexible you are, even if it's on partner metal. Try to see if that KLM award is bookable via DL.

If it's only available using FB miles, then you can transfer your MR, and the transfer is instant - you can literally transfer from Amex while you are on the booking page on the AF or KLM site. However, I personally find MR points to be more valuable than SkyMiles, so anytime I can use the same number of SM to book something I'll try that first.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:12 am

About to dump US Platinum Card - Where to transfer?

I am about to get rid of my platinum card, I have approximately 700,000 MR points. What is the best option to transfer? I live in Chicago, an AA hub - if I transfer to BA, can I use for AA domestic flights? Any help is appreciated!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by edtex
...What is the best option!
The value of Membership Rewards is the ability to transfer instantly (to many partners) just when you need them. While you could transfer to BA and redeem for flights on AA or AS or US I think the better course would be to apply for a free Everyday card which you can link to the same Membership Rewards account and preserve the balance. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-wikipost.html
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Wikipost update

I have started a new section of the Wiki with this header:

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Much more detail should be added. Wikiposts are not the moderators' playground. Any member who can see the [Edit] button is eligible to create or modify any Flyertalk post. Please take a few minutes to add your knowledge to this Wiki.

In particular we need:

Links to threads in other forums which explain how to search for partner awards or avoid fuel surcharges.

Summary of partner redemptions through the independent airlines: El Al, Emirates, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America. The best way to do this may be linking a thread in the program's own forum, but I think this Wiki should at least mention the useful possibilities.

Last edited by mia; Apr 30, 2014 at 9:46 am
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I added a note about using FB as a way to book DL one-way awards (at least until DL begins its own one-ways in 2015). Not sure if I picked the best place for it, but...there it is.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:15 pm

I've got 90K MR points I need to transfer out and I'm moving to Sofia Bulgaria this summer. Where can I park my points and how can I maximize my value? I have about 50K each with United and USAir but I'm not familiar with redemptions from within Europe. Besides, I seem to have better luck with hotel redemptions than air travel...
Old May 5, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by mixersoft
I've got 90K MR points I need to transfer out and I'm moving to Sofia Bulgaria this summer. Where can I park my points and how can I maximize my value? I have about 50K each with United and USAir but I'm not familiar with redemptions from within Europe. Besides, I seem to have better luck with hotel redemptions than air travel...
You can move 90k Amex to Aeroplan. 90k Aeroplan is good for one round-trip between North America and Europe 1, business class, two stopovers allowed. However, Bulgaria is Europe 2. If you don't find any decent value from Bulgaria on Aeroplan, you can then transfer 90k Aeroplan to 75k US Airways via points.com (register on points.com with a USA address), to add to your existing balance there.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by echino
You can move 90k Amex to Aeroplan. 90k Aeroplan is good for one round-trip between North America and Europe 1, business class, two stopovers allowed.
Wow, I didn't realize redemption levels were so much lower compared to United. What is availability like on Aeroplan? It's been hard to redeem on UA or USAir these days at less than 1 cent/mile...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.