Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum Card / Hertz #1 Club Gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by seawolf
If the contract and/or reservation indicated the 4-hour grace, AMEX probably thought the amount was too small to dedicate someone to flight Hertz for it.
Actually - automatic credit. AMEX did not even initiate an inquiry after all.

What I am trying to point out is even the AMEX Platinum CDP includes a 4-hour grace period, you should still review your final receipt to avoid problems.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I had a rental at LAX last weekend, the initial 'full size' car I was assigned was a new junky looking small Chevy SUV. I went to the Gold #1 desk and asked if I had a free upgrade via AMEX Platinum reservation, and how did that work. The agent said to go to the #1 Gold aisle and select from a particular set of cars.

I don't think this is how the AMEX Plat benefit is supposed to work. I drove away with a 2011 Camry that had 43k miles and a beat up exterior.

The next best car was a Mazda 3, but I had some driving to do with 4 people. There was also a Jetta, but I've learned that those are junk, the Camry drove much better than the last Jetta I rented.

Originally Posted by seawolf
According to the US Platinum site

Fee-waived membership in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® - a $60/year value
Expedited service at over 40 of the world's largest airports (no stopping at the counters)
Up to 20% off best contract rate at participating Hertz locations worldwide
Up to 25% off best contract rate on Hertz Prestige Collection weekend rentals
A 4-hour no-charge grace period, before an extra day charge is applied (When returning the vehicle in the U.S.)
10% bonus on Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® (This is new)
A One-car-class upgrade (Subject to availability. Valid on rental of Compact through Full-size vehicles.)
Ability to earn airline miles or free car rental days

I've seen the 4-hour grace apply to certain rates in Germany. It wasn't across the board but I've seen it.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by 4aks
I had a rental at LAX last weekend, the initial 'full size' car I was assigned was a new junky looking small Chevy SUV. I went to the Gold #1 desk and asked if I had a free upgrade via AMEX Platinum reservation, and how did that work. The agent said to go to the #1 Gold aisle and select from a particular set of cars.

I don't think this is how the AMEX Plat benefit is supposed to work. I drove away with a 2011 Camry that had 43k miles and a beat up exterior.

The next best car was a Mazda 3, but I had some driving to do with 4 people. There was also a Jetta, but I've learned that those are junk, the Camry drove much better than the last Jetta I rented.
I'm a little confused - it sounds like you had already got an upgrade and you wanted something better but then you downgraded for a smaller car than initially assigned?

Because even the mini-SUVs are a step up than full-size. It sounds like you had 4 passengers with you too -- why would you give up the SUV and walk away with a Camry? Even the mini SUV would have been better for a larger group (and especially trunk space if I had to guess).
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I'm a little confused - it sounds like you had already got an upgrade and you wanted something better but then you downgraded for a smaller car than initially assigned?

Because even the mini-SUVs are a step up than full-size. It sounds like you had 4 passengers with you too -- why would you give up the SUV and walk away with a Camry? Even the mini SUV would have been better for a larger group (and especially trunk space if I had to guess).
Ok, I didn't realize the mini-SUV was an upgrade from a full-size cars ... I was driving several hundred miles, so I felt a car was better.

I wanted to swap the mini-SUV for something reasonable, like a 'premium' (non-luxury) vehicle
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Hmmmn, been trying to book on Hertz canada site, and used both the CDP and its not applying the discount anymore. I did use it in the US last year, so know it worked then. Has the code changed?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Smid
Hmmmn, been trying to book on Hertz canada site, and used both the CDP and its not applying the discount anymore. I did use it in the US last year, so know it worked then. Has the code changed?
Try 211762. This was the Canadian Amex Plat CDP code a month or so ago when I booked.

When I entered the 211762 CDP code to quote, it returned with a specific Amex Plat rate. When I proceeded to book by logging in as a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards ("HGPR") member, the rate jumped significantly (from €215 to €270)! No explanation. At the end, I just booked without using the HGPR # and used online check in to enter all the information in advance.

Always check the “Discounts & Coupons” tab at the Hertz.ca site. The rates may even be better.

Besides the above experience, the HGPR membership offered through Amex Plat is quite worthless. No "extra perk" is attached to it. Anyone can enrol. It would be nice if it were the "Five Star" level.

I shall be leaving for my trip soon and I shall post my rental experience when I return. I always rent Avis and this is my first Hertz rental in many years.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 30, 2013 at 7:17 am Reason: clarification & correct typo
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by fluffydot
The plat card still provides a discount code that can get you pretty good rates depending location and vehical type. (seems to work better on luxury class)
Yes, in my case, the full size MB C class was cheaper than the mid size Opel by nearly 25%.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:48 pm

What AMEX Platinum benefits apply to Hertz 24/7 rentals, if any?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
What AMEX Platinum benefits apply to Hertz 24/7 rentals, if any?
Well, you get the usual stunning Hertz IT... ;-)

Other than the car hire insurance part, nothing else. Hertz 24/7 doesn't do upgrades, so no help there, it doesn't do CDPs or discounts so nothing there, but it does share all the "fun" of the normal Hertz website and IT systems, so expect the usual level of #fail !

As long as you've linked your Hertz Gold number with your Hertz 24/7 account, you should in theory get gold points for the rental. In practice, not so much. Expect to have to ring Hertz Gold and Hertz 24/7 customer services a lot, probably until you give up and decide you no longer care about the missing points...

On the other hand, ZipCar are amazing. They have friendly staff, and very helpful, excellent website and booking, support extending bookings by text, and the whole process is just much slicker and nicer. I can strongly advise paying the anual fee to ZipCar, it's more than worth it for the better experience!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 am

As I expected unfortunately.

Thing is, I sometimes need one-way rentals to/from airports and ZipCar doesn't offer that.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Thing is, I sometimes need one-way rentals to/from airports and ZipCar doesn't offer that.
Nor does Hertz, if the Hertz 24/7 thread on the Hertz Forum is anything to go by... (lots of cases there of people booking a one-way then Hertz cancelling it, often at the last minute)

Personally I tend to find that bus/train/metro/tram normally proves lower stress and higher productivity than trying to drive to airports, even in America (much to the shock of my US friends), though YMMV depending on where in the world you are!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:47 pm

I have both Cdn Plat charge cards and would be grateful for a quick how to get the Hertz benefit that's included.
I've always rented from National in past to skip line, Would like to try Hertz in a couple weeks if that timeline is doable
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: AP, SPG Gold, CX Gold
Amex Canada has a Platinum card website: https://www298.americanexpress.com/p...ca/en/login.do

They have the signup info for Hertz listed there, you need the CDP number to use when you sign up. Just login with your online access details and click "Car Service" all the Hertz info will be on that page. You can also call Amex and they will walk you through it. It's instantaneous and Hertz will email you a paper card to print out.

Once you set it up you can use the benefits right away.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by seanman571
Amex Canada has a Platinum card website: https://www298.americanexpress.com/p...ca/en/login.do

They have the signup info for Hertz listed there, you need the CDP number to use when you sign up. Just login with your online access details and click "Car Service" all the Hertz info will be on that page. You can also call Amex and they will walk you through it. It's instantaneous and Hertz will email you a paper card to print out.

Once you set it up you can use the benefits right away.
Thanks. All set.

ps - Plat rate wasn't within 15% of a Delta rate + lots of skymiles for a Herta booking in LAS next month. Guess the plat/"Gold Star rewards 5 star" benefits wont apply if booked with a diff code? Don't care actually
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: AP, SPG Gold, CX Gold
I was able to get all the Gold benefits when I booked using the CAA rates. As long as you setup your account using the Plat CDP it will give you the benefits. Or at least that was my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.