Wiki Posts
Search

International benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
International benefits

I have a US issued Amex Platinum card and traveling to Asia next week. I saw that there are dining benefits at certain restaurants and hotel restaurants. Would I be able to get those benefits with a US issued card vs Hong Kong issued card?

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00defaad94RCRD

Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
No, those benefits are for HK plat only.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Well, yes. I have many times utilized these benefits with my Canadian Centurion and Platinum cards.

The restaurants or shops couldn't care less.

The problem is, how do you know which restaurants/shops offer these benefits? There is a booklet for HKG members listing all these benefits. But even the Canadian Centurion concierge could not get me this list.

I got this list from one kind FT member based in HKG. And I have yet to encounter a shop that declines my benefits/discounts because my card is not a HKG card.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jarusoba
There is a booklet for HKG members listing all these benefits. But even the Canadian Centurion concierge could not get me this list.
I assume it is different than either of these?

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....ourmet_eng.pdf

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....d_Dining_E.pdf
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by mia
Yes. It is different. The ones that I got were for Centurion card holders. One for shops and one for restaurants. And they are both multi-page brochures.

And the merchants are somewhat different.

But thanks for these links as I have never seen them! There are a few more that I can use, in conjunction with my Platinum card!!^
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Yes. It is different. The ones that I got were for Centurion card holders. One for shops and one for restaurants. And they are both multi-page brochures.

And the merchants are somewhat different.

But thanks for these links as I have never seen them! There are a few more that I can use, in conjunction with my Platinum card!!^
most cashiers probably won't be careful enough to notice where your card is issued..
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Interesting...for this to work (for non HK plat card holders), one presumably needs to ask for the discount and have the bill reduced (as opposed to having an automatic deduction on one's statement).

For those that have utilised the benefit: do you just say 'can I have my plat card discount'?

thanks,

tb
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by trueblu
Interesting...for this to work (for non HK plat card holders), one presumably needs to ask for the discount and have the bill reduced (as opposed to having an automatic deduction on one's statement).

For those that have utilised the benefit: do you just say 'can I have my plat card discount'?

thanks,

tb
Yah, I'm curious about that too, how do you ask?

Especially since the HK plat card looks nothing like the US one... Actually, it looks alot more like the costco "platinum" cash rebate card...

I forgot if Amex charged foreign exchange fees? I know my penfed travel amex doesn't?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bbmatt

Especially since the HK plat card looks nothing like the US one... Actually, it looks alot more like the costco "platinum" cash rebate card...

I forgot if Amex charged foreign exchange fees? I know my penfed travel amex doesn't?
Well, you have to say "I want my discount" because if you don't they charge you in full without a blink on their faces. But if you say - "I want" your bill is reduced right away.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Especially since the HK plat card looks nothing like the US one...I forgot if Amex charged foreign exchange fees?
American Express adds 2.7% on foreign transactions when using a card issued in the USA.

The Hong Kong card depicted on the page linked in post #1 is a Platinum credit card. Similar style is also used in the USA for Platinum Business credit cards. However, the Platinum charge cards issued in both countries are very similar. See here the Hong Kong Platinum charge and business cards side-by-side:

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00defaad94RCRD
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:28 am

thanks,

tb
Just ask for the discount.

I have been to a couple of restaurants (those appear in the list that mia posted above), without knowing there was discount. The waiter asked me if I had an Amex Platinum card when I asked for the check. ^ I said I didn't but I had a Centurion card with me. He told me the Centurion card would work too!^^

So you don't really have to ask. The restaurants would see this as a chance to promote their business and hope that you will return.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:13 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

thanks,

tb

At least in those "gourmet club" restaurants you don't have to ask. They are so used to the plat cards that they'll apply the discount for you automatically, unless, of course, that the waiter has too much time and pays attention to the back of your card...
I seldom have to ask in other places too.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:42 am

I travel to Hong Kong once to twice a year. Each time for at least a month. You'll get the discounts. Trust me.

Last edited by mia; Oct 26, 2010 at 8:21 am Reason: Remove link
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:21 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
I was definitely disappointed when I saw several lounges in China and Hong Kong that accept Cent/Plat for access, but only if the card is from HK, Taiwan and Canada. Strange that it would matter.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by b8b
I was definitely disappointed when I saw several lounges in China and Hong Kong that accept Cent/Plat for access, but only if the card is from HK, Taiwan and Canada. Strange that it would matter.
Not strange at all. Unlike merchants that may offer a discount at their own expense to cardholders in order to attract customers, the lounges get paid by Amex for each visitor. If Amex US doesn't have a contract with those lounges, then the lounges won't get paid for visitors using those cards. It makes perfect sense that the lounges would have it down to a science as to exactly which cards to accept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.