Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Membership Rewards activity shown on Corporate Card statement?

Old Apr 12, 12, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I have a question about linking a corporate amex from my employer to my personal platinum amex MR. If I choose to link my corporate card to my personal MR account, will MR bonus show up on the corporate card monthly statement? In other words, will my employer be able to see that I am earning MR points on the corporate card?
Old Apr 12, 12, 2:43 pm

Here read about my saga http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

In short, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops and find the right rep who will know how to link the account
Old Apr 12, 12, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimikim View Post
Here read about my saga http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

In short, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops and find the right rep who will know how to link the account

I actually did read your entire thread, but I didn't find my answer.

I called Amex to ask them the same questions too, the rep I spoke to spent a few minutes to speak to someone more senior than her and came back to me and said "Your corporate card statement 'may' show that your membership award information" which totally did not answer my question at all.

I figured I am better off asking my question here because someone on this forum must have already linked their corporate amex to their personal amex MR and will be able to give me a definite answer.
Old Apr 12, 12, 3:07 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by StanleyLi View Post
...will my employer be able to see that I am earning MR points on the corporate card?
I have edited the thread title to be more specific.

If you have read other threads on this topic you know that you cannot enroll a Corporate card in Membership Rewards unless your employer has authorized participation. Is your concern that your employer will see the points generated by the spending on the Corporate card, or that your employer will also see the rewards generated by your personal card?
Old Apr 12, 12, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL PM
My points do not show on my corporate card statement (our enrollment is permitted provided it is on our dime). All points are shown on my Platinum card statement and the $75 annual linkage fee is billed to my personal account.
Old Apr 12, 12, 7:12 pm

Does your inquiry relate to a true corporate card or a small biz corporate card aka Amex Open Corporate Card? If you are speaking of a small biz corp card and you were the person who opened the account the answer is yes. As a matter of fact Amex had a huge privacy/security hole that took years to partially close and still is partially open. You think Amex would have fixed it by now.
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I have edited the thread title to be more specific.

If you have read other threads on this topic you know that you cannot enroll a Corporate card in Membership Rewards unless your employer has authorized participation. Is your concern that your employer will see the points generated by the spending on the Corporate card, or that your employer will also see the rewards generated by your personal card?

I already checked with American Express, my corporate is one that is enrollable into MR. I actually tried to get my employer's corporate finance department to pay for the MR enrollment fee multiple times. The answers I always get was "I have to check with the CFO.", and then I will never hear from them again. I just thought if I pay for this fee myself and if MR info does not show up on the corporate statement, then I will just enroll on my own without having to deal with anyone in the finance department.
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhbean View Post
My points do not show on my corporate card statement (our enrollment is permitted provided it is on our dime). All points are shown on my Platinum card statement and the $75 annual linkage fee is billed to my personal account.
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

So basically there's nothing on your corporate card statement that will tell your employer you are enrolled, right?
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Does your inquiry relate to a true corporate card or a small biz corporate card aka Amex Open Corporate Card? If you are speaking of a small biz corp card and you were the person who opened the account the answer is yes. As a matter of fact Amex had a huge privacy/security hole that took years to partially close and still is partially open. You think Amex would have fixed it by now.
I believe I have the true corporate card. My company submitted the application for me, I believe I only gave them a signature for opening. How else can I tell?

As far as I konw, my employer receive the bill and pay for all the expenses there. Also, I was told that on my card, if my employer fail to pay, I am responsible for all the charges on it.
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Sorry to hijack the thread, I have a UK Corporate Plat card with an MR account.

Does this mean if I signed up for a personal Plat, they would open a separate MR account for me so therefore I wouldn't be disqualified from the signup bonus?
Old Apr 13, 12, 8:58 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

How else can I tell?
Simple. Business cards have the word "Business" on them, while Corporate cards say "Corporate". This distinction has nothing to do with the legal form of the organization, only with size.
Old Apr 13, 12, 9:26 am
mia

Originally Posted by PanGalactic View Post
...personal Plat, they would open a separate MR account for me so therefore I wouldn't be disqualified from the signup bonus?
It's hazardous to draw inferences from one market to another. In the USA an individual typically has one Membership Rewards account fed by all cards, personal, Business or Corporate. In Canada, I believe each cards has its own rewards account. I don't know which system is used in the UK, but I would not expect a Corporate card to disqualify one from any type of personal offer.
Old Apr 13, 12, 11:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL PM
So basically there's nothing on your corporate card statement that will tell your employer you are enrolled, right?
That is correct - I went back through the six months of corporate card statements readily available online and didn't see anything regarding membership rewards enrollment or points earnings. I'm not sure if this was always the case (I vaguely remember it used to show my corporate card points earnings), but it appears to be the way they do it now.
Old Apr 13, 12, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club, SPG
Oustide of the US (as I'm not sure about the details of the US program) I believe your personal card (platinum, gold, centurion etc) will always be the card that gets the MR statement attached to even after you have linked a corp card to your MR account - unless you ask CS to change that. You can select the corporate card to have the MR statement but the personal card is the default.
Old Apr 13, 12, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club, SPG
Originally Posted by mia View Post
It's hazardous to draw inferences from one market to another. In the USA an individual typically has one Membership Rewards account fed by all cards, personal, Business or Corporate. In Canada, I believe each cards has its own rewards account. I don't know which system is used in the UK, but I would not expect a Corporate card to disqualify one from any type of personal offer.
In the UK, business cards and corporate cards (the ones that are allowed to enrol into MR) are generally linked to the same MR account as any existing personal card the customer has.

If the customer has an existing corporate card that is enrolled in MR - and then later applies for a personal card with a bonus offer attached - in the event the personal card is automatically linked to the existing MR account this can sometimes prevent the personal card recieving bonus points as the system doesn't recognise them as a new customer.

Search this Thread