SPG Amex 20,000 points offer- should I take it?

Old Apr 6, 12, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, WN A list, IHG Plat, Delta pittance
SPG Amex 20,000 points offer- should I take it?

I got my first Amex card (approved online instantly from a snail mail offer for Blue Sky) on March 6 of this year. I took it because it was a $300 bribe to open it. Now I have more mail offering 20K starpoints for a small spend of $500. Is that as good as it gets? Is it too soon to apply again for another Amex card?

I have never stayed at a Starwood, but plan to this month as I got an e-mail with an offer for a free Cat 5 hotel if I stayed by the end of April.

Also, I have one other concern- I read somewhere you can't book a points room for more than two people? I have two nieces that I like to take on trips with me, so that would be a definite drawback. They are both teenagers, so I think that qualifies as "adult" for reservations. Does a points + cash reservation give any leeway on this?

Thanks in advance and hope I put this in the right area!
Old Apr 6, 12, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
There will probably be an offer this summer for 30k with a low spend so I would wait until then. I can't comment on the award booking rules as far as how many guests are allowed. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer your question.
Old Apr 7, 12, 2:24 am
In memoriam

IMHO, wait for a better SPG offer. 30k sounds good.

Keep in mind though, the 25-30K offers usually have a higher spend required, 3-5K in 3 months.

Also, SPG and Amex cards are tricky to get more than once without waiting for a couple of years at least. So your first bonus might be your last on this particular card.

Finally, remember that there is also an SPG biz card with a good bonus offer that comes around every few months for 25-30K and you can get the biz card even if you already have the personal card.

PS The SPG program is very good, I have had lots of lovely free stays at very pricey hotels.
Old Apr 7, 12, 2:28 am
Suspended

read in millionmiles that the 15k bonus out of the 25k bonus offer is only for people who don't have any personal amex cards.

so then the deal is just 10k bonus with this card?

looks like the virgin atlantic card is currently the best offer for maximum hotel stays if the 50k from it is transfered to hilton account. it becomes 100k hilton points. at least 7 nights in hilton hotel? hilton and hilton garden hotels only i guess
Old Apr 7, 12, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
If you like small spending requirement (like me), than you are better off getting this SPG offer. Else if you have no problem meeting 3 K+ spending, you may want to wait.

Originally Posted by jonny1 View Post
looks like the virgin atlantic card is currently the best offer for maximum hotel stays if the 50k from it is transfered to hilton account. it becomes 100k hilton points. at least 7 nights in hilton hotel? hilton and hilton garden hotels only i guess
Not sure how you can get 7 nights in a hilton hotel with 100 K HH points? Here is the link to HH award chart - as per this only category 1 and 2 can get you 7 nights. However category 1 and 2 are few and hard to find IMHO.
Old Apr 7, 12, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA,UA, BA, DAL, FB
Starwood will not let you book a reservation online for more than 2 people in a room paid for with points. If you happen to get a room with 2 double or queen beds for only 2 of you and then find yourself with a 3rd person staying there, what's the problem? Might possibly be an issue if breakfast is included. 3 of us stayed in a "free" room last summer without any incident.

The best Starwood offer I've seen is for 30K points after meeting minimum spending of 5K as I recall. Generally you can get 25K points after meeting the same minimum spending requirement. Just a matter of whether you want to spend that much. IMHO, Starwood gives you absolutely the best value for hotel points particularly if you use the points and cash option coupled with the 5th night free.
Old Apr 8, 12, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, WN A list, IHG Plat, Delta pittance
Thanks everyone for your input. I will apply for this card. I want to take my nieces to Niagra Falls and then save some points in case there is another Grand Slam this year.
I also had an offer from Amex for 60K Hilton points, but SPG seems like a better deal for redemptions. So SPG it will be, and hopefully they will not mind the "extra" person on our trips!
Old Apr 13, 12, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post

Also, SPG and Amex cards are tricky to get more than once without waiting for a couple of years at least. So your first bonus might be your last on this particular card.
Getting the same card the wait time is 2 years? or getting the bonus is 2 years?. And where is that rule in their application form?. What I understand is the bonuses are for applicants that do not have the card already. It says nothing about previous card ownership.
Old Apr 14, 12, 1:14 am
In memoriam

Amex's "rule," apparently, is more-or-less that you cannot get a bonus for the same card twice.

However, in practice, it can sometimes be done with an approximately two or more year wait between cards. YMMV.

If you have to have things written out for you in the card company's rules you are going to have to pass up a lot of miles earning/churning opportunities.

Remember, never NEVER call the card company to confirm things you learn on FT.
Old Apr 14, 12, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
Amex's "rule," apparently, is more-or-less that you cannot get a bonus for the same card twice.

However, in practice, it can sometimes be done with an approximately two or more year wait between cards.
Are you making these up as you go along?

Here is from Amex T&Cs ;

25,000 Points: Offer not available to existing consumer American Express Card members. To be eligible to receive bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program at the time of spend and you must charge $2,000 of eligible purchases in your first three months of Card membership on an eligible, enrolled Premier Rewards Gold Card. 25,000 bonus points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account 6-8 weeks after you meet the spend requirement. Limit one offer per Card Account..........

No where does it say that historical cards disqualify the bonus. .....

Search this Thread