Get CC Bonus Miles quicker by paying bill earlier?

Old Apr 3, 12, 3:16 pm
xp0
Original Poster

Get CC Bonus Miles quicker by paying bill earlier?

Topic pretty much says it all... I have to rebook a flight that requires more miles and I just received my Delta Amex cards. If I quickly meet the spend requirement and pay the bill off online within a day or two ... will my bonus miles post shortly their after? Or will I still need to wait until the end of billing cycle for the points to post?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 3, 12, 4:04 pm

I can't remember how Amex handles it but with Chase you can change the billing date and say close in a few days. That should give you the miles usually the day after the statement closes. Be careful though, I tried this with Citi and my statement closed about 50 days out instead of a few days. They basically moves my date out instead of moving it closer.
Old Apr 3, 12, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by xp0 View Post
Topic pretty much says it all... I have to rebook a flight that requires more miles and I just received my Delta Amex cards. If I quickly meet the spend requirement and pay the bill off online within a day or two ... will my bonus miles post shortly their after? Or will I still need to wait until the end of billing cycle for the points to post?

Thanks in advance!
With my AMEX PRG and all my Chase cards, paying early doesn't get me the points any faster. The only card that gets me point credit as soon as I pay is my Citi AAdvantage card. I'm pretty sure AMEX unilaterally does not do this, though.
Old Apr 3, 12, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I tried to look at my wife's account (she got a Gold Skymiles Amex last summer) but I couldn't really tell. However, I think you have a decent chance of getting your spend bonus pretty quickly. Regular points from monthly charges are a different matter.

If you can run up the spend quickly enough, I'd advise going for it, you have at least a fighting chance of getting the points quickly.
Old Apr 3, 12, 5:35 pm

Programs: Several dozen
But watch for the gotcha if you do an early payoff with a USBank LAN card. Early payment prevents a statement going out which triggers recording your kilometers.

Dunno how I know that.
Old Apr 3, 12, 5:37 pm
xp0
Original Poster

Thanks guys I couldnt remember how I got the points in the past so figured I would ask.

The agent said I have *plenty of time* based on the seats left... but you never know
Old Apr 3, 12, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since the OP is asking about an AMEX card I'll move the post there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: