Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:46 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by hawata
I would like to receive some feedback on what you guys feel about what happened to me.

I have had the regular Platinum Card in the past and received a welcome offer. However last year I was advised through Morgan Stanley that I would be eligible for the their version of the Amex card.

I called at the time Amex and asked them if I qualify for the offer, and I was told yes, because the MS Plat is a different product. Now last week (10 month later) the Welcome Bonus Points were removed from my account and I talked to a rep and they confirmed the reason is that I wasn't eligible for this MS bonus point offer as I received on the in the past.

I was under the impression that different Plat Products would qualify.
This is the difference of rules and actual practice.

I remember the rules of the other flavors of Platinum cards state you won't get the new bonus if you've had the regular Pat card before. But this was not 100% enforced. Most of the people get the 2nd or/and 3rd bonus. But some unlucky people did not.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
I would have to try to find what the terms and conditions were at the time of signup... Do you know where to find this?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I cannot know if the terms have changed since you applied, but start here:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...cshome/#/cshop
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Starting over :( DL Silver National Exec, and Hilton Gold.
Morgan Stanley Plat - need to close MS account but want to keep AMEX

My Financial Advisor is switching firms and I'd like to go with him. I use my amex plat quite a bit, especially for travel. Does anyone have experience with what would happen if I moved my account out of Morgan Stanley? I suppose I could just convert to a normal Platinum card, but my wife uses her card too. Its been several years w/them if that matters.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
doesn't matter... I had to reapply for the regular Plat card and close the MS
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by hawata
doesn't matter... I had to reapply for the regular Plat card and close the MS
do you happen to know the minimum qualifications to keep the account open?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Apparently you can have a self-managed MS account with a $5k minimum. That way you can keep using your advisor at a new firm, and still maintain your MS Amex:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/getti...-stanley-card/

Not sure why you would want use an advisor at all if you can have a self-managed account for a modest fee.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:53 am
mia

Moderator action

I have merged jgold47's question into the primary Morgan Stanley thread.

Originally Posted by 747FC
Apparently you can have a self-managed MS account with a $5k minimum..
It's not a self-managed account, it's a robo-advisor account with a limited set of investment options and models.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Not sure why you would want use an advisor at all if you can have a self-managed account for a modest fee.
I mean, I could cut my own hair too..../s

Originally Posted by mia
I have merged jgold47's question into the primary Morgan Stanley thread.

It's not a self-managed account, it's a robo-advisor account with a limited set of investment options and models.
Thanks - if it has to be an AAA account it probably wont work for me. If its any advisory account, I have a 529 over the limit sitting there. I suppose I can call and find out, but I've got a couple of the folks from my old advisors office hounding me to sign back up which I will not be doing.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jgold47
I mean, I could cut my own hair too..../s
One of these days you will realize you are the one who is being fleeced:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:23 pm
mia

These are the published terms:

Eligibility Terms
Morgan Stanley Platinum Card is only available to you if you have an Eligible Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC brokerage Account ("Eligible Account"). Eligible Account means a Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC ("Morgan Stanley") brokerage account held in your name or in the name of a revocable trust where you are the grantor and trustee, except for the following accounts: Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts, Charitable Remainder Unitrusts, irrevocable trusts and employer-sponsored accounts. Eligibility is subject to change.

American Express may cancel your Card Account and participation in this program, if you do not maintain an Eligible Morgan Stanley brokerage Account.

Morgan Stanley may compensate your Financial Advisor and other employees in connection with your acquisition or use of the Morgan Stanley Platinum Card.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jgold47
My Financial Advisor is switching firms and I'd like to go with him. I use my amex plat quite a bit, especially for travel. Does anyone have experience with what would happen if I moved my account out of Morgan Stanley? I suppose I could just convert to a normal Platinum card, but my wife uses her card too. Its been several years w/them if that matters.
I do not recall any additional benefits with the MS Plat card. It is just another card to get the bonus. If you have no plan to stick with MS, I believe you can just call AmEx to switch it over to regular Plat card.

The minimum to keep a MS account open is either $3k or $5k. But again, there is no point of doing so since there is nothing special about the MS card.

The old Mercedes Benz Plat card has extra benefits. But it is gone. The Schwab Plat card has extra benefits too. There are three more Platinum cards.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I do not recall any additional benefits with the MS Plat card. It is just another card to get the bonus. If you have no plan to stick with MS, I believe you can just call AmEx to switch it over to regular Plat card.

The minimum to keep a MS account open is either $3k or $5k. But again, there is no point of doing so since there is nothing special about the MS card.

The old Mercedes Benz Plat card has extra benefits. But it is gone. The Schwab Plat card has extra benefits too. There are three more Platinum cards.
I think you get a free additional card vs. the $175 for the normal card. I could theoretically just get my wife the free gold card, but she travels on her own occasionally and uses it for the lounges.

Last edited by jgold47; Apr 2, 2019 at 3:50 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
It appears that the Morgan Stanley Platinum card welcome terms are still different than the other Platinum cards. There is no specific language about not being eligible if you've already received the bonus in the past on this card (or any other Platinum card).
The one statement that could apply to OP's case is the section that begins: "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so..." and the very vague, "Additional terms and restrictions apply."

Unless you've done something that looks like abuse/gaming, it seems that Morgan Stanley Plats are still set up under completely different rules than the other Platinums. I would look into this further, maybe with the help of your Morgan Stanley rep.

I'm guessing they haven't been as fearful of churning with this card, since the client-advisor relationship probably keeps it from being churned as aggressively.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by bryanb
Unless you've done something that looks like abuse/gaming, it seems that Morgan Stanley Plats are still set up under completely different rules than the other Platinums. I would look into this further, maybe with the help of your Morgan Stanley rep.

I'm guessing they haven't been as fearful of churning with this card, since the client-advisor relationship probably keeps it from being churned as aggressively.
The big benefits of this card are that it uniquely offers a free additional card + a $550 fee wavier with a $1m account. If someone wants to park $1m with MS and/or has a bunch of friends with supplemental cards churning is much more difficult. I can't imagine asking my four supplementals to have to deal with new cards and processes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.