Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Does Amex actually check if the applicant has a Morgan Stanley account and then cancel the card if he/she does not?
Old May 20, 2017, 12:08 pm

I'm a little confused.

I have a retirement account with Morgan Stanley, and meet the $1M requirement; however, what other requirement must me met in order to receive the annual fee reimbursement for the AmEx Platinum card?

I read through the posts, and saw mention of also being required to have a Reserved account. I looked at that link, and read that this consists of having a cash account with two transactions per month. Is this accurate? I'm really not interested in having $50K in cash sit idle--nor having to jump through additional hoops.

Any insight would be appreciated, as I really don't want to bother my broker over this.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/LTT AA PLT
Originally Posted by TTT103
I'm a little confused.

I have a retirement account with Morgan Stanley, and meet the $1M requirement; however, what other requirement must me met in order to receive the annual fee reimbursement for the AmEx Platinum card?

I read through the posts, and saw mention of also being required to have a Reserved account. I looked at that link, and read that this consists of having a cash account with two transactions per month. Is this accurate? I'm really not interested in having $50K in cash sit idle--nor having to jump through additional hoops.

Any insight would be appreciated, as I really don't want to bother my broker over this.
It's kind of confusing, but you need to have an Active Asset Account (AAA) and first qualify for Premier Cash Management before that $1M kicks into effect for you to be a Reserve. Keep $50k in the AAA and do 1 bill pay or 1 debit card transaction or 1 credit card transaction, etc (meet two of these) and repeat for 3 months, then you will be qualified on the first day of the fourth month.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I'm a little confused.

I have a retirement account with Morgan Stanley, and meet the $1M requirement; however, I really don't want to bother my broker over this.
Why not? That's part of his/her job.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

I'm a little confused.

All you need is to open an Active Assets Account with just a few hundred. Your retirement balances with get you fee waivers.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:11 am

Thank you for taking the time to clarify the requirements for me.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for taking the time to clarify the requirements for me.
No prob.

You can also call Client Services at 888-454-3965
Old May 22, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by impinth06
It's kind of confusing, but you need to have an Active Asset Account (AAA) and first qualify for Premier Cash Management before that $1M kicks into effect for you to be a Reserve. Keep $50k in the AAA and do 1 bill pay or 1 debit card transaction or 1 credit card transaction, etc (meet two of these) and repeat for 3 months, then you will be qualified on the first day of the fourth month.
For Premier Cash Management its either $50K or $2500 per month in Direct Deposits.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:17 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by jediwho
Does Amex actually check if the applicant has a Morgan Stanley account and then cancel the card if he/she does not?
Just happened to me. I used to use MS, but moved everything over somewhere else to consolidate in 2016. I finally got an email this month saying that they will be closing my account in 60 days. I was kind of surprised that they didn't even offer to change to a regular Platinum card (and therefore keep a customer). I was actually going to close at renewal this year though so no loss, and I opened up a PRG to keep my rewards account active, and just got the 25,000 bonus so really not a big deal. Just curious why they would not push to keep me in a more expensive product.

Long story short...they do check, just may take a while.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gwade
Just happened to me. I used to use MS, but moved everything over somewhere else to consolidate in 2016. I finally got an email this month saying that they will be closing my account in 60 days. I was kind of surprised that they didn't even offer to change to a regular Platinum card (and therefore keep a customer). I was actually going to close at renewal this year though so no loss, and I opened up a PRG to keep my rewards account active, and just got the 25,000 bonus so really not a big deal. Just curious why they would not push to keep me in a more expensive product.

I learned from a knowledgeable rep when I tried to change my MS Platinum card that 3rd party branded Platinum cards are in separate category from the traditional non branded Amex cards. With that cards like the MS Platinum cannot be downgraded to a normal Amex card. The only option with them is to close the account.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by gwade

happened to me over a year after I moved my money out of MS..they also wouldn't change to the regular platinum but ended up applying for a regular plat with 75k bonus mr so I came out ahead
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Blog articles from April 2018 explain how to become a Morgan Stanley client with as little as $5,000 in an investment account:

https://windbagmiles.com/2018/03/14/...amex-platinum/

https://windbagmiles.com/2018/04/23/...tinum-for-now/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/getti...-stanley-card/

Primary difference between Morgan Stanley and standard product is one free additional Platinum card.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Blog articles from April 2018 explain how to become a Morgan Stanley client with as little as $5,000 in an investment account:

https://windbagmiles.com/2018/03/14/...amex-platinum/

https://windbagmiles.com/2018/04/23/...tinum-for-now/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/getti...-stanley-card/

Primary difference between Morgan Stanley and standard product is one free additional Platinum card.
So I have had the MS Platinum for 5 years now....that means I can get the standard Platinum card and get the sign up bonus?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Amex Platinum / Morgan Stanley Welcome Offer

I would like to receive some feedback on what you guys feel about what happened to me.

I have had the regular Platinum Card in the past and received a welcome offer. However last year I was advised through Morgan Stanley that I would be eligible for the their version of the Amex card.

I called at the time Amex and asked them if I qualify for the offer, and I was told yes, because the MS Plat is a different product. Now last week (10 month later) the Welcome Bonus Points were removed from my account and I talked to a rep and they confirmed the reason is that I wasn't eligible for this MS bonus point offer as I received on the in the past.

I was under the impression that different Plat Products would qualify.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What you were told does not much matter. Do the written terms of the offer disqualify previous Platinum Card holders?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.