Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by dustenm
Is there anyway to do it online? and what is the minimum amount you need to put in the account? I thought you needed to invest with a financial adviser. If you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by csol47
I've been wondering about this as well. I couldn't find a simple way to do it online and when I contacted a local advisor via email there was no reply. Didn't pursue it further.
Can't do it online. Call 800 number and say you want to open an account with (I believe it's called) the client center or whatever, with no advisor. There's some minimum deposit, but they'll waive it if you let them send you a checkbook or put in a DD (which can be as little as $.01 per month).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by csol47
I've been wondering about this as well. I couldn't find a simple way to do it online and when I contacted a local advisor via email there was no reply. Didn't pursue it further.
Last time I checked, verifiable net worth of 2m - 5m.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by comptalk
You only need a MS brokerage account. You can open one for $5000
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:44 pm

MS brokerage account is no longer available. You need to either be part of Wealth Management or have an Active Assets Account. Both have net worth requirements.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Applied for MS card for my wife last weekend; the signup did not ask for MS account # (we have a joint MS account) - just had a box to check confirming qualifying MS account.

Did not get instant approval - msg said decision in 2 weeks. Card arrived 2 days after I applied.

Seems like a great addition for churning - alternate personal, biz and MS cards without any tight timing on when you last had the card.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:43 am

MS brokerage account is no longer available. You need to either be part of Wealth Management or have an Active Assets Account. Both have net worth requirements.
MS also manages accounts for clients of investment advisors, such as Fisher. Fisher's minimum is $500k (invested, not net worth)

Last edited by dgwright99; Aug 3, 2013 at 10:00 am
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgwright99
MS also manages accounts for clients of investment advisors, such as Fisher. Fisher's minimum is $500k (invested, not net worth)
So would Fisher clients qualify for an MS Amex?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by SteveT
So would Fisher clients qualify for an MS Amex?
Yes - I am a Fisher client, and that is how my wife got her card; though it goes without saying that is not a good criteria for selecting an investment manager.....
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I have a Morgan Stanley Amex Plat card and my advisor said that says that I can convert my Amex Points into cash that is deposited into my brokerage account. Here is the Conversion ratios

1,000 $10
2,500 $25
5,000 $50
10,000 $100
25,000 $250
50,000 $500
100,000 $1,000
250,000 $2,500
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ktremor
... Conversion ratios
In other words, 1 point = $0.01. Dreadful.

Last edited by mia; Aug 31, 2013 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:44 pm

On the MS site it says you can have net worth as little as 35k
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:45 pm
Used to be hamajicky

My mom's MS financial adviser calls her up today and wants her to open a Plat card. Says that the funds will be withdrawn from her MS investment account at the end of every month to pay the plat card bill.

I have the morgan stanley plat card but I have to send in a payment every month--anyone heard of the arrangement where the funds are auto withdrawn from your investment account ?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:33 pm

The float on your money is cut big time as they autopay your account.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: Yes.
App'd for the card after adding my name to wife's MS account. Called app status line to verify they had MS account number. 2 days later denied. Reason: I was ineligible for offer. Called recon line with MS account again. Now have to wait up to 4 days to find out. Either way I think it's a second hard pull? Fortunately, app'd for the spg biz on same day as plat, so first pull is not for naught.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by econjon
App'd for the card after adding my name to wife's MS account. Called app status line to verify they had MS account number. 2 days later denied. Reason: I was ineligible for offer. Called recon line with MS account again. Now have to wait up to 4 days to find out. Either way I think it's a second hard pull? Fortunately, app'd for the spg biz on same day as plat, so first pull is not for naught.
Hmm, didn't have this issue about being ineligible for offer when we applied a few months ago. We were instantly approved. It could be as you're not the primary on the MS account.

If that doesn't work, why not just have your wife apply and have her add you as an authorized user given that the second card is free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.