Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by convert
Does the additional card holder get to use the airline lounge by themselves?
That would be a nice bonus if true.
Yes they do. Well, I honestly don't know if they get a Priority Pass Select, but I know they'll get regular access to AA and US lounges so long as they're traveling on AA or US that day.

Also, additional cardholders don't get their own $200 airline fee reimbursement. There's only one $200 reimbursement per account.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Yes they do. Well, I honestly don't know if they get a Priority Pass Select, but I know they'll get regular access to AA and US lounges so long as they're traveling on AA or US that day.

Also, additional cardholders don't get their own $200 airline fee reimbursement. There's only one $200 reimbursement per account.
If the extra cardholder does get an additional priority plass, that is an extra $175 dollar bonus compared to the regular card. Does anyone know the answer?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:52 pm

If the extra cardholder does get an additional priority plass, that is an extra $175 dollar bonus compared to the regular card. Does anyone know the answer?
They do not
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:49 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Disappointed with my Platinum "welcome package"

I finally pulled the trigger and got the Morgan Stanley Platinum Card. I must say, I was hoping for something a bit more than a nondescript envelope with two cards and printed terms and conditions. There is very little to even tell me what my benefits are (although I know I can figure it out). For example, there is nothing to even mention FHR or how to book hotels, what benefits are, etc.

Also, nothing even mentioning Priority Pass...I mean geesh, how do they expect you to know what to do? How do I apply for my Priority Pass membership?

Is this the standard "welcome package"? Where can I see all the exact benefits and related terms??
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Did you open the JP Morgan Palladium card or the American Express Platinum card? The are two different products. One is offered by Chase, the other by Amex.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:59 pm

He got the AMEX Plat by MS. I'm assuming it's this one on the right:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d.../api/MS/1000/2

While it looks similar to the normal AMEX plat card, I'm not surprised that it's welcome package is different just because Morgan Stanley is on it as a co-brand. Plus I think the only difference from this one vs the normal plat card is the complimentary additional card.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sudosandwich
He got the AMEX Plat by MS. I'm assuming it's this one on the right:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d.../api/MS/1000/2

While it looks similar to the normal AMEX plat card, I'm not surprised that it's welcome package is different just because Morgan Stanley is on it as a co-brand.
Wow, I completely mis-read that (a common theme today) as JP Morgan. My apologies.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the cards are mailed separately from the welcome package because they come from different places.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:48 am

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Fingers crossed...still have no idea how to get the FHR and Priority Pass bennies.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:59 am

Has anyone gotten this card without a Morgan Stanley account? The extra card feature would be great for my wife.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Based on my recent experience they do also get their own Priority Pass, SPG Gold & Global Entry credit.

For Priority Pass, additional cardholders have to call to get enrolled. They cannot do so online. It's a great deal.

Last edited by islandguy84; Jul 28, 2013 at 9:29 am
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gwade
Fingers crossed...still have no idea how to get the FHR and Priority Pass bennies.
1: http://exploreplatinum.americanexpress.com/

2: https://www.americanexpressfhr.com/s...l/gateway.rvlx

3: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-do-list.html
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by dustenm
Has anyone gotten this card without a Morgan Stanley account? The extra card feature would be great for my wife.
Really not difficult to open an MS account.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Really not difficult to open an MS account.
Is there anyway to do it online? and what is the minimum amount you need to put in the account? I thought you needed to invest with a financial adviser. If you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by dustenm
Is there anyway to do it online? and what is the minimum amount you need to put in the account? I thought you needed to invest with a financial adviser. If you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
I've been wondering about this as well. I couldn't find a simple way to do it online and when I contacted a local advisor via email there was no reply. Didn't pursue it further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.