Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by runb4fun
https://www262.americanexpress.com/apply-card/MS/006/1

Basically, there are two Amex/Morgan cards:

1. It has similar category bonus to that of PRG but NO AF.
2. Is basically the Platinum card except +1 AU is free.

How do I get them? As far as I understand, I need to be a client with MS. Any cheapest way to do so? I would like to get both cards since (1) is potentially free MR generating card and (2) is basically a better Plat card for non-churners.
Perhaps this existing thread can be of help
Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card

You may want to search this forum for more information. I noticed a few Moran Stanly threads with information.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:46 pm

Thanks KENNECTED but it didn't help. I probably should have posted in that thread though.

most of the info there is dated. it sounds like college 529 is the way to go but it also sounds like it doesn't work for some states.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:54 pm

4. This reward is only available to the Basic Card Member on a Morgan Stanley Card from American
Express who has a “deposit eligible” Morgan Stanley brokerage account (an “Eligible Card Member”)
Additional Card Members and otherwise authorized third parties, including authorized account managers,
may not redeem Membership Rewards points for this reward. A “deposit eligible” Morgan Stanley
brokerage account is a Morgan Stanley brokerage account held in the Eligible Card Member’s name,
and excludes Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts, Charitable Remainder Unitrusts, Irrevocable Trusts,
Employer-Sponsored Accounts, Inherited IRAs, Salary RED/SEPs, 529 college savings plans, and Simple IRA
accounts. An Eligible Card Member may redeem a maximum of four million Membership Rewards points
every seven calendar days for this reward. Redeemed points will be immediately deducted by
http://www.morganstanleyfa.com/publi...%20stanley.pdf

so, 529 is a no go.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by mia
This...

...suggests that your Financial Advisor will be notified when you open/close a card account.
My advisor really did not seem to care fwiw. A year on I'm still super happy wth this card.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Q on actual transfer of MR to Morgan Stanley Account...

Greetings all-

Would like to see a post from someone who has actually transferred MR points to a/their MS account. Specifically:
  • if you did this online, where is the link on AMEX website or MS clientserv website to perform this?
  • If you didn't do it online, how did you do it?

I'd like to move some MR points for the first time and cannot seem to make progress. Can't find anything online, and initial phone calls have me running in circles. To be fair, I've not tried all avenues yet (would like to do this myself online if possible).

Thanks.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:26 am
Suspended

anyone have the link to sign up for the MS brokerage account?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Curious if anyone applied recently without having a Morgan Stanley account. Were you able to get approved?

There was a data point from a year ago that resulted in a denial likely b/c of lack of MS account. Just wondering if anyone else tried more recently.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
FWIW my understanding is that you do not need to maintain a MS account to keep this card.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA
Originally Posted by TMM1982
anyone have the link to sign up for the MS brokerage account?
Is it possible to do that without going thru an actual MS adviser?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by leeflyer
Is it possible to do that without going thru an actual MS adviser?
They have (or had) a call center for folks that were below $1mm I think.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
A new great benefit which started this past August, with having the MS Platinum Card while also having a RESERVED account with MS. They now will reimburse the $450 AF if you qualify in their Premier Cash Management program. Qualifying isn't that difficult if you use direct deposit with them. If you don't use DD, then you have to have a $50,000 minimum cash balances.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by elg26
A new great benefit which started this past August, with having the MS Platinum Card while also having a RESERVED account with MS. They now will reimburse the $450 AF if you qualify in their Premier Cash Management program. Qualifying isn't that difficult if you use direct deposit with them. If you don't use DD, then you have to have a $50,000 minimum cash balances.
do you have a link for more info on that cash management program?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
do you have a link for more info on that cash management program?
Here, I think, but the asset requirement is different than mentioned in elg26's post:

http://www.morganstanley.com/what-we...ash-management

1 To qualify for Reserved, a client’s household must have and maintain a minimum of $1,000,000 in eligible assets and liabilities or have paid at least $10,000 in managed fees/commissions. For more information about qualifying for Reserved status, contact your Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor.

2 Only Basic Card Members holding the Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Morgan Stanley who are members of Reserved households will receive an annual $450 Engagement Bonus from Morgan Stanley. The Basic Card Member is defined as the primary account holder.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:50 am
Suspended

Ah okay, I was thinking it could be done with just direct deposit as elg stated. If the requirements you cite are true, non-starter for me.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Here, I think, but the asset requirement is different than mentioned in elg26's post:

http://www.morganstanley.com/what-we...ash-management
Thats odd....that might be a new requirement... as I wouldn't qualify

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.